Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgtr

Who Makes This 'New' Craftsman 50cc Chain Saw?

pgtr
13 years ago

Doing a little research on possible replacement saws... Traditionally Craftsman branded chainsaws have in my experience been re-labeled Poulan or PoulanPro saws. I saw a 'new' saw on Sears website - a 50cc model specifically. It doesn't visually appear to be like any Poulan saw and Poulans max out at around 42 or 46 cc IIRC.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07135098000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Anybody know anything about this one? Who the OEM is?

thanks

Comments (30)

• glenam
    13 years ago

Sears products such as this will have a model no. in a nnn.nnnnnn format. the first 3 numbers are a vendor code denoting oem,
    I believe this model will begin with 358, the vendor code for Poulan.
    I think it is a new line of saws made by Poulan.
    hth

• loger_gw
    13 years ago

Looks like: Poulan 18" "Wild Thing" Gas Chainsaw

Search "98738:P4018WTL" or Poulan 18" "Wild Thing" Gas Chainsaw

loger

• ewalk
    13 years ago

This new unit Manufactured by Husquarna Industries , any other Sears Product with "Incredi-Pull" Recoil Starting is Manufactured by Mtd which also makes Troy-Bilt , Bolens Products. Just another disposable saw , for use once or twice a yr for small felling and trimming usage .

• ewalk
    13 years ago

pgtr: Just a further note of info , Husky 450e is the actual Model Designation for this Sears Resto Saw !

• pgtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quite obviously it's not a 'Wild Thing' Poulan.

It's listed as: Item# 07135098000 : Model# 35098

If it's a Husqv 450e they went to a LOT of trouble to redesign the the molded case/covering to disguise it and adding features like a primer bulb.

To me it has a lot of tell-tale signs of being a Poulan. However it's 10cc more displacement than any saw currently listed on the Poulan site. So if (and that's purely an IF on my part) it's a Poulan it's not shown on their site yet and/or it's a Sears exclusive.

Doesn't Sears have a relationship with both Poulan and Husqvarna? Could it be a joint venture?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

ptgr: You certainly have a flair for the dramatic and asking redundant questions . Yes Poulan and Husky have a joint venture within the Sears Saw , should be rather clear. Husky 450e Power Head with Poulan Cosmetics (Primer Bulb) etc. The only real advantage is the X-Torgue and Husky Recoil System . But then I forgot you don't buy Husky Rubbish !

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

"for use once or twice a yr for small felling and trimming usage."...Aren't you the eternal optimist. If it won't start, run or is broke, which is more likely than not, you won't be able to use it at all.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

evd: Yeah Your Right actually ! Since it's Poulan with Husky Rubbish after parts it's a Mircle if it does start Roflmbo ! You Sly Ole Dog That You Are :)

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

Look at it thia way. You might be able to buy that Sears saw for $150. on sale. Or you could get a mid-grade Stihl like the Farm Boss for $380. If both saws last 10 years (fat chance with the Sears saw) you'll save a lousy $25. a year by buying the cheapy.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

evd: "If both saws last 10 years" A Real fat chance for any Poulan / Sears Husky Clone Saw unless your only cutting the occasional Birch / Pine or Cedar lol .

Note: Like I said before Poulan Saws for the routine weekend clean up or limbing or pruning are fine . However to attempt felling and bucking and weekly firewood cutting of Maple and Oak or Ironwood forget it . The initial saving with soon be replaced with grief , of not spending the Money on another Saw Manufacturer such as Echo or Efco , Solo , Makita...etc ! Your correct Bro $25.00 does not give me annual piece of mind either :)

• pgtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ewalk states verily:

"ptgr: You certainly have a flair for the dramatic and asking redundant questions . "

Silly me, here I thought I was in the right place to ask a question about a new Sears chainsaw when up pops ewalk with this response. Please do show me the redundancy in the question. Can you?

And if it's "redundant" then why are you so worked up as to waste your time on a response to a "dramatic" and "redundant" questioin as mine?
    ewalk states verily:

"But then I forgot you don't buy Husky Rubbish !"

I did buy Husqv rubbish once - shame on me. Lesson learned, life is too short, never again.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

ptgr; Redundant yes because your question has been answered !

Note: I suggest you review the responses of others on this thread dude and quit making yourself out as such a tard lol .

• pgtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ewalk writes:
    Redundant yes because your question has been answered !

Redundant suggests repetition. Did I re-ask it? Where? I've read the responses and appreciate the other contributors (and they don't even bother to insult), there's just been what I would consider to be normal progressive elaboration of the question at hand. Can you not back up your claim of redundancy? Note: I suggest you review the responses of others on this thread dude and quit making yourself out as such a tard lol .

So I've gone from "dramatic" and "redundant" to ... now being labeled a "tard" as I understand it?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Dude: Everyone on the Thread has given you answers and you quite indignantly give short rebuttal,s. Anyhow I know what the Sears Saw Platform is have answered your question (twice). It would be nice if you could simply say Thank You to all that have tried to assist you...really. Please don't reply with any further Italicized Editorial Rebuttals..ok ? Have a Great Day Bro .

• pgtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ewalk imagines: Everyone on the Thread has given you answers and you quite indignantly give short rebuttal,s.

Everyone? Let's look at the facts shall we?

glenam responded with usefull info on the codes - (my appologies for not saying thanks as ewalk just reminded me but a belated thanks) to which I responded w/ what info I could find.

loger also responded. Now I appreciate the response (thanks loger) but it made no sense. Both in all visual appearances and in simple specs like the CCs - I saw absolutely nothing to connect the Poulan Wildthing to the Sears 50cc saw (do you?).

Then on 10/27 we get to your first response (w/ an addendum on 10/29). You stated it was a Husqvarna Rubbish Industries product (with some confusing references to MTD/TroyBilt/Bolens). Now given your ongoing attacks lecturing me on being "redundant" THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO NOTICE. AT THIS POINT, it would seem to me that YOU were providing contradictory information to the 2 previous contributors, glenam (& loger). They noted "Poulan" whereas you brought up Husqvarna. And I obviously don't have any inside knowledge about any relationships between these companies/brands.
    Now on 11/07 comes comes my very first post since starting the thread. Seeing the two references to two unique brands (as far as I knew) I asked "could it be a joint venture?" (between Poulan and Husqvarna Rubbish)

From what I can tell, in your 11/08 post, this question is the one that is causing you so much anger over your perception of redundancy. It seems you are very constipated that I simply do not 'know' that there is a relationship between these corporations and that it's a joint product. Well I don't, or at least didn't. That is after all why any of us ask questions on this forum. Because we don't know.

Do you find it constructive to belittle someone as redundant when they don't have this information? Or is this your way of making yourself feeling good? ewalk mis-remembers Anyhow I know what the Sears Saw Platform is have answered your question (twice).

No, actually you answered the same question twice - not two different questions. That was your choice. My first question was 'who makes it' (you responded Husqvarna 450 rubbish) and my 2nd question (based on differing answers) was 'is it a joint venture' (your answer was a redundant Husqvarna 450 rubbish reference).

It's rather ironic that your answers were redundant ("450" twice) while the questions were unique. Don't ya think? ewalk instructs Please don't reply with any further Italicized Editorial Rebuttals..ok ?

OK

• ewalk
    13 years ago

ROFLMBO..HA..HA..HA ! All Sears Saws are either Husky , Poulan or Mtd which also Manufactures under the Troy Bilt and Bolens Saw Monique ! Simple Enough ?

• glenam
    13 years ago

The model no is #35098..
    Go to Sears and enter 358.350980
    you'll get the IPL

• carynickel_peoplepc_com
    13 years ago

I was curious about this saw as well, since apparently unlike a lot of folks here, I've had very good success with the Husqvarna/Poulan built saws, including Craftsman. I own three, and heat my house with wood, so I cut 2-3 cord of firewood per year, winter and summer, from 0 to 80 degrees outside, and have also used them to help friends trim trees in exchange for the wood. I've owned a Craftsman 14", and a reconditioned Poulan Pro 18" saw for about 6 years each, and picked up a "Wild Thing" for $89 on clearance at Home Depot a couple years ago. The only problems I've experienced are busted pull ropes, carb gunk (which was entirely my fault by letting them sit full of gas, solved by liberally spraying with carb cleaner), and the Wild Thing quit oiling due to a stuck pump, probably caused by my use of recycled motor oil for bar oil...after doing some research, I was able to buy a new oil pump locally for $14 and was interested to find that the pump was a McCulloch/Homelite part number...but would fit Husqvarna, Poulan, Craftsman, etc. I always research everything to death, but in doing so, I found that Husqvarna, Poulan, McCulloch, Homelite, Craftsman, and even Makita and Hitachi, Ryobi, and several other brand chain saws are all made primarily by some division of Husqvarna. I have a couple of buddies with Stihl saws, who use them as much as me, and their saws are in the shop with no more or less problems than my inexpensive Poulan built units, not to mention Stihl being more expensive to fix. Perhaps I'm the exception, but I've had no complaints with Poulan saws, and have gotten far more than my money's worth out of all the ones I own.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Nickel: Won't bore you with any previous Poulan Bashing . Your post is rather self explanatory 2-3 cords is not serious cutting . I would think that a well maintained Poulan Pro would be capable of lasting at least 8-10 yrs cutting limited quantities. The Craftsman dependant on vintage could very well be of Homelite Origin and were a very capable limbing saw. As for the Wild Thing , just a cheap piece of Rubbish . You seem rather maintenance friendly and that goes a long way towards ensuring saw efficiency . Also a very valid point on the Stihl and Husky Models of late . Both Manufacturers have cheapened their product line to remain competitive . Much to the sadness of the Serious Saw Purist . In closing thanks for your post and enjoy your saw Bro !

• carynickel_peoplepc_com
    13 years ago

If two/three cords of wood per year is "not serious cutting", then so be it, but that's far more than the average American. One correction on the Ryobi saws, though. The new ones I saw at the Depot were made by Techtronic in China, and they use the same motor for both the 18 and 20 inch bar, and it's quite a bit smaller motor than the 50 cc Craftsman/Husqvarna for the same money, so the Craftsman is by far the better value today. I cut mostly pine growing on lava rock, and the wood throws a lot of sparks..but the saws hold up. So buy a more expensive saw if you have to, but it's certainly not necessary.

As for the Wild Thing, gonna have to disagree with you there. It's actually my favorite and most used saw. And if it breaks to the point of disrepair, I can use it for parts for the other saws, and the whole thing still cost less than the average Stihl repair bill.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Stand by my previous statement Bro as per the Wild thing , have repaired more than enough in 30 yrs of saw repair . Ensure to keep your bar groove and chain clean of pine sap which will ruin a bar / sprocket and chain very quickly . Linseed oil , Kerosene or Varsol are the best solvents for effective cleaning . Run the lightest Bar Oil you can find for better purging of dirt and debris . China , yep sure want to invest in chainsaws from World Class Reproduction Artists lol . Seriously own a few cheap Chinese Gens Set good for back up but would never replace Honda or Yamaha within reliability . As I said enjoy your saw since it's meeting your demands Bro :)

• msjfc_aol_com
    13 years ago

Great discussion, in between trash talk. Thanks for the mfr. info. I thought it looked like Husky on the shelf and hybrid makes sense. Looking to buy the Craftsman 20" to go with smaller Poulan Pro (44cc) and McCulloch (32cc) saws, with which I have had remarkable luck. Choice is to rent a serious saw for several days on a big job or buy this one, which I like because of the 50cc. I'm aging out of this Paul Bunyan thing, so 10 years is optimistic, and Sonny Boy has a couple Stihls from when he worked for Bartlett, so he'd rather inherit the cash I save.

Any opinions about buying the $127 rebuild? I thought you'd say that!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Welcome on board John . The only Hybrid Model we have not touched upon would be the Homelite made in Taiwan from Home Depot lol . Seriously if you happy with what your 32 cc and 44 cc saws are doing , why not look at Echo CS400 much better Quality and performance with a 5 Yr Consumer Warranty . I realize you are not in the market for a Husky or Stihl Pro or Homeowner Grade cash layout and the Echo will last you most likely your wood cutting life Bro . All the Best ! Time for Bed .

• jflashcadillac
    13 years ago

This is "John" with a changed, but registered, User Name. Thanks for the echo tip. It's just a bit too small for bucking the 3 ancient ashes that nature felled for me this year in the woods out back. I had tried a new Homelite 20" from HD for $100, but there were obvious mixture problems, so I returned it ASAP. I got the Sears 20" for $179 on-line this afternoon, free shipping, etc., figuring that all big box stores are dumping their 20" saws, and, sure enough, when I went to the Sears store to get my free quart of pre-mixed fuel tonight, theirs had been marked down to something like $189 for tomorrow's 1-day sale. Sears weighs the same as Homelite (21 lbs.), which I handled pretty easily. Will keep you posted on whether 50cc really quacks like 50cc.

• Tjkeshishian_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I bought this saw 2 months ago now. It cuts great. On par with my neighbors 455 rancher. I've felled about 30 oak trees with this saw, bucked, and cut to 16" for firewood. I did upgrade to a skiptooth chain and it flies through the wood just fine. I say money well spent.

• brettl
    9 years ago

I was searching for information on a certain green Craftsman Professional and came across this old thread. Although 4 years dead, the following is for future searchers. Not all Craftsman saws were Poulan/Husky based. The saw in question here may be the Solo 651sp rebadged. There was also one in about 2005 made by Redmax/Zenoah. At the time, Redmax was not affiliated with Husky or Poulan.

• brettl
    9 years ago

I was searching for information on a certain green Craftsman Professional and came across this old thread. Although 4 years dead, the following is for future searchers. Not all Craftsman saws were Poulan/Husky based. The saw in question here may be the Solo 651sp rebadged. There was also one in about 2005 made by Redmax/Zenoah. At the time, Redmax was not affiliated with Husky or Poulan.

• invoskin
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just but this craftsman 50 cc,cut through a three foot wide trunk;

and the motor every time after that I went to make another cut, the motor die. I took it back got another one, and I will update after I've given his New one a try...

• Nikki Cooper
    last year

I bought one of the new Craftsman saws at an auction on Friday for $10. Sold for parts due to the fact that the clutch cover was removed. It turned out that the side bar adjustment gear had been ripped off. So I went to my parts shed to see what I had to match it and oddly enough, the Homelite clutch cover used exactly the same design. Changed it and fired it up right away. It was great luck. Then I did not know that Craftsman chainsaws are eternal. Later I read it here and was pleasantly surprised https://sawcentre.org/who-makes-craftsman-chainsaws/