Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnytugs1

troy-bilt trimmer dies out

johnnytugs1
15 years ago

i have a TB trimmer/edger model TB25ET about 2 years old, last time i used it, it started dieing out. it will run while choked but once you squeeze the trigger it conks out.i cleaned the air filter, plug, blew the gas line out from carb to tank and thru the gas intake on carb. still doing it. i also just realized that i was using 50:1 mix when it requires 40:1 any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

john

Comments (13)

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

I dought the mix makes any difference, You could try to adjust the carb a little richer (in you can adjust it)(just note where the settings was orginally, so it it don't work you know where they were set) I check all the screws in case it maybe sucking air.

• johnnytugs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi rc, i don't think that it has any adjustment screws. just an idle adjustment.
    john

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

Probably going to have to disassemble the carb and try to clean it, may be weak diaphram (but I dought it, unless the corn gas has stiffen them). I would check the fuel filter in the tank first. make sure all the screws are tight also holding the carb on and the motor togather.

• johnnytugs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rc thank you i did clean it out with carb cleaner trying to keep it running i also took off a cover plate and cleaned in there, i will try it again.how do i ck the diaphram and where do i find it? the guy from TB said it may be the valves needing adjustment. thats odd i thought.
    john

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

Maybe, if it's a 4 stroke, I can't tell by the numbers, Pretty easy to adjust or check, just remove the valve cover and check the lash with the valve closed, probably around .003 to.005 clearance. The guy next door has one and has the same problem. But, his fuel hoses was ate up by corn gas and the gas tank was fuel of water, crud ad who can idenify the rest of it. I tried for 4 hours to get it to run by clean the carb and try to get it to suck gas up, but I can to the conclusion it was the diaphrams and he didn't want to by a 8 dollar kit to try it. If you want to get a carb kit make sure you get the numbers off the carb. and of course the model number and make.

• johnnytugs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks rc i'll get to that as soon as time allows.
    john

• shadetreediy
    13 years ago

i had same problem as described here. troy bilt model 25ET trimmer/edger. engine starts but bogs when increasing throttle rapidly and finally dies out. read a lot about the C1Q carburetor and difficulty for a diy to use diaphram and gasket kit to repair so ordered new carburetor. the new carburetor came without the low and high speed adjustment needle limiters. does anyone know how to transfer limiter from old to new? or is it necessary to do so? or is old limiter compatible? my original carb model is C1Q P-22, new one is C1Q P-22 C. i have not tried to install and crank yet pending this question.

• DougMay
    12 years ago

SOLUTION! I had this exact same problem. Tried all the suggestions other than rebuilding the carb. Then I noticed inside the tank the fuel line was broken. I found fuel line at NAPA. 2 feet of hose did the trick. Replaced all segments and it runs like a champ!

If you read the owners manual it says to not use Ethanol blended gas. If you do, then it suggests draining the tank after every use and running the engine dry! WOW! Don't know about you, but I am not doing that. I will just replace the fuel lines every few years for $3.00

The ethanol in the gas eats up the gas line and turns it into brittle rubber which crack and allow air into the line.

• johnnytugs1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks doug, i have since gone through 2 more units. i just fixed the start pull cord on one. i'll go back and try this in 2 weeks when i get home.
    john

• shadetreediy
    12 years ago

i went thru 3 carburetors before i determined that i do have the same problem mentioned in one of the previous posts (ethanol destroys gas lines). the line in the tank was broken as well as lines outside the tank. replaced all lines and now runs normally.

• shadetreediy
    12 years ago

i went thru 3 carburetors before i determined that i do have the same problem mentioned in one of the previous posts (ethanol destroys gas lines). the line in the tank was broken as well as lines outside the tank. replaced all lines and now runs normally.

edit: but i now have a crack in the gas tank. does anyone know of good source of gas tanks for troy-bilt trimmer/edger model TB25ET

• johnnytugs1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That was going to be my response, clean around the crack well. you may have to rough up the area as well as surrounding area being epoxied.clean again, mix it up so that the 2 colors become 1 and apply. i would inquire about drilling the very ends of the crack so it won't spread. also maybe "V" out the crack a bit with a dremel type tool so the epoxy makes a better seal.
    JT