Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sharpening Jig

Posted by bharley Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 7:30

Anyone know how make a sharpening jig for lawn mower blades,or where to buy one?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sharpening Jig

I believe that Dremel has a jig for sharping blades.

I use a grinder and simple wooden block to get for the angle.

o

I just bought a Work Sharp. I haven't tried it on mower blades yet (mowing season is over here in the Great White North), but it did wonders on my kitchen knives. They're $70-80 about anywhere

o

I was at Lowes the other day and there is a sharping jig for the Dremel. I has three jigs in the package, one is for lawn mower blades. It was about $15

o

The Dremel is a very weak, underpowered tool for grinding mower blades. I'm assuming you have the usual nicks and dings from running into bits of gravel and old dog bones when you mow. The fastest way to grind a mower blade is with an angle grinder (4" or 4 1/2" size) and a grinding disk. You can get a Chinese angle grinder for under $20 at Harbor Freight, and the grinding disks are maybe 2 or 3 bucks. Try to grind at about the same angle as the original bevel. Do it by eye. No need for digital angle indicators--it's not a surgeon's scalpel. When it's sharp, lay a big nail on the end of a post or top of a vise. Lay the blade on the nail so the nail bisects the hole in the blade, crosswise. If it drops to one side, that side is heavy. Grind some more metal off until it's balanced.

o

As runswithscissors2010: My best experiences have been with the 4" grinders with a soft med - fine grit pad. It works with the blades on or off some equipment. A touch with a fine file adds but not a must.

My 30+ yr old Makita and Black & Decker are hard to beak after 30+ yrs with tons of grinding and cutting vs little but good sharpening. Enough Said For Quality Tools!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here