Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about building a shed

Posted by ensign 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 10:57

I'm about to start my first fairly major construction project. I'll be building a 12' x 20' shed with a standard gable roof. There's potential in a couple years that I might need to move the shed to another area of my property, so I don't want to have too permanent of a foundation for that to be possible.

I'm planning on using solid concrete blocks for the corners and then having them every 5' running along the 20' length and every 6' running along the 12' width (i.e., three rows of 5 stacks of block). I was planning on using PT 2" x 8" for the floor joists with a mud sill plate on the 20' length of each side.

Would it be better to build four 6' x 10' sections of floor and join them together with the joined together sections all supported by block, or just build one large floor with a 12' span of joists?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about building a shed

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 18:46

Building 4 sections would result in double joists, which would be overkill. Just build the floor as one unit and properly support it at your intervals.

I always screw joists together using quality square head screws, such as McFeeleys.

o

How do you recommend supporting the 12' span of joists from the bottom? Toenail a 2" x 8" sill plate underneath that is resting on the middle row running the length of the shed?

Thanks for the advice.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 18:55

So you are going to have the floor unsupported by stone in the middle? Your idea of a 2x8 sill running perpendicular is a good one. You could support the sill by block or stones.

Maybe you already are doing this, but I would lay 4 mil plastic on top of the soil before doing any work. Then cover it with stone.

o

Well, I didn't end up getting to start the shed project last fall, so I'm gearing up to get started.

Some people are telling me that I'm crazy to not go with a concrete floor/slab. I checked into pricing with a place that does all of the concrete work and it would cost $4,800! That's beyond my budget, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to make some forms for the slab and have the concrete poured and smooth it out myself.

Is this type of thing feasible for someone that doesn't have experience with concrete? From the highest point of the ground to the lowest point is about a 20" difference (gradual slope diaganolly). I was thinking I could build the form up about 4" from the highest point and then of course make it level all the way around.

Would there be frost heave concerns having part of a concrete slab be thicker than the rest of it? Should I just stick with the blocks and the wood floor?

Thanks for the guidance!

o

One other thing I noticed is that if I feather the throttle I can keep it running longer...but it does eventually die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here