Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood chipper clutch

Posted by woodchipnut nj (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 11:01

My Tomahawk wood chipper / shredder is acting up. When I start work, it seems to chip OK. After 10 minutes or so, there is no power to the chipper flywheel. I have decided that I do need a new belt. While taking things apart, I opened up the clutch and cleaned out a LOT of dirt. I am wondering if everything is as it should be in the clutch. It is just metal to metal ( shoes and drum) -- should there be something in the way of a friction mateial on the shoes ( and it is all worn away ???) Or is th clutch as it should be and the belt is probably all I need? Hopefully, I have attached a photo to show shoes and inside of drum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood chipper clutch

Very Good Pics! I have not seen lining materials on a small engine clutch vs all metal. Actually I have not seen what I felt was a bad clutch due to the shoes/hubs, bushings vs bad chain cogs on chainsaws. Your clutch looks normal IMO. Techs, What would dictate a bad clutch or cause a bad clutch shoes or drum (excessive wear, bad springs, hot spots, worn bushing)??

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 16:06

"If it ain't broke....." Replace the belt and "keep on chippin...." :-) Learned a long time ago, don't dig deeper unless you have to.

Ev

o

Your clutch is all right. I have the older Super Tomahawk which uses pulley and idler which makes the belt function as the clutch. In your case belt needs to be fairly tight so it doesn't slip. You should adjust to get about 1/2" deflection of the belt between the clutch and chipper pulley. Also, make sure you lightly oil the bushing (the brass part) where it rides on the shaft.

o

GG:

I also have a Tomahawk, only a underpowered 4 hp model.

My dad quickly shredded the belt on it. I finally learned that to engage the belt without killing the engine one had to gradually get the speed up by engaging it only for a second at a time. Took some getting used to. One could not start it at all with any material inside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here