Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Replacement Belt for B&D Garden Shredder 8501

Posted by bsquared18 Minneapolis (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 1, 10 at 11:10

I have a really old Black & Decker Model 8501 garden shredder that needs a replacement multi-grooved drive belt (from the motor to the cutter-blade flywheel). Part Number: 682045. The belt is 22-1/2 inches long (outside circumference), 1/2 inch wide, and 1/8 inch thick. It is made of heavy-duty material, with five grooves/six ribs running the length of the belt on the inside.

The garden shredder includes a tension-adjustment knob, which means that any slight variation in belt length can be compensated for.

The manufacturer no longer supplies the belt for this unit. I've tried an auto supply place and the B&D service center, without luck. Searching online hasn't turned up anything either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe someone who has a unit that's not working and would like to sell me the belt? Or some not so obvious place to seek the belt?

Thanks!
Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Replacement Belt for B&D Garden Shredder 8501

Could you install a vee-pulley in the places where it has the multi-groove pulleys. I'd explore that first. Measure the pulley shafts, and go to a good lawn mower repair shop, and ask them to check their parts books, such as Stens!

o

I believe you need a Micro-V Belt, 220J6. Try the guys in the link below. Also known as a Poly-V. There might be even less expensive ones. Try GOOGLE for 220J6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Belt Palace

o

I have a Black and Decker garden shredder model 8501 type 2. The belt broke. The belt on mine is not a Micro-V but a toothed belt with 1mm blocks repeating over its length. I could not find any online, every parts site said it was discontinued. I don't think a v belt would give enough friction or even stay straight on the cutter flat pulley. Good news they still sell parts for it in europe. I just bought a belt PART # 324983-00 from www.thebigboystoyshop.com Shipping was like $15 and the part was about $12.
Another place to look is www.2helpu.com the garden shredder in europe is Model GA100
It works like new again.

o

Tractor Supply sells an assortment of belts - give them a try.
Maybe you will end up buying new pulleys to match the new belt.
Try the provided links ans let us know - this will happen to all of us sooner or later , a belt slips or breaks.

o

Hello,

I want to thank you all for the information about the Black and Decker Garden Shredder Model 8501. I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new machine. I found the 220J 6 Rib belt at beltpalace.com and it was only $14 total including shipping!

Now it's as good as new.

Thanks again! :) Bob J.

Here is a link that might be useful: 220J6 Poly V belt found at Belt Palace website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here