Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mckev25

How to clean gasoline from socket wrench.

mckev25
12 years ago

Hello all. I just purchased a Craftsman socket wrench set and on the first job got gasoline into the head of the wrench. Is that something I should worry about cleaning? If so, any recommendations on how and what to clean it with?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• loger_gw
    12 years ago

I have had most of my old Craftsmen ratchets apart due to problems (switching directions or broken gears after years). They all had a snap-ring or etc noticeable to open the head. My biggest challenge in some cases was compressing the bearing spring loaded in the head when reassembling.

IâÂÂm not sure if they come with light grease but I added light grease after cleaning/repairing. I feel Sears will exchange it if you simply ask to try the feel of another ratchet. The noticeable ext area of the bearing (if so) might be for the purpose of greasing and probably will be fine if you grease it. My excuses were noticeable when the ratchet would have come apart or stopped working. Exchanging Torque Wrenches due to bad gears etc was not a lifetime item but they used the same gears as the compatible ratchets. Good Luck! loger

• mckev25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

IMO nothing other than wiping it off with shop towel, any left over will evaporate. Some of my old tools probably need alittle gas to clean the rust off and out.

• mckev25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all...I figured gas in the head is actually better than water...but I didn't know if it would react with whatever grease is used in the gears...thanks.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Set the ratchet head in 3 inches of clean oil, in a can. Next evening, remove the ratchet, and allow to drip dry. Next day, wipe off excess, and be happy!
    Years ago, us mechanics would clean our ratchets by dipping them in a bucket of oily gasoline, set them aside, and next day they'd be good as new. And, they worked well forever. I still have several that i bought new in the early Fifties, and they still work well.

• mckev25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all...I figured gas in the head is actually better than water...but I didn't know if it would react with whatever grease is used in the gears...thanks.

• mckev25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rustyj14...so it sounds like I actually did my wrench a favor ;) interesting to hear about your mechanic "secret". I actually found a YouTube video of a mechanic who said he uses old transmission fluid to clean and lubricate his sockets.

Thanks

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

IMO It will over time it will dry the grease out faster. IMO anything but water. leave water on or in an any chrome plated tools thats chipped off or not chromed water will rust the unprotected metal. IMO in the ratchets case the unplated parts will rust and lock up if they move while left in storage for any period of time. Even wd40 better than nothing it will force out most of the water and leave film lubricant till the water evaporates thats not blown out.

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

I occasionally spray my ratchets with PBlaster GDO (garage door opener), which is a "dry" lubricant that doesn't attract dirt. I don't actually know that it does any good, but I feel better.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

mck: Clean your ratchet internally with WD-40 and repack with Moly Grease . I always clean the external surface of all my wrenchs and sockets , ratchets with WD-40 prior to storing after usage.