Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying out a genset

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 11:47

Hi Folks,

Survived the storm with no major issues. We did lose power, normally I give the utility a few hours to get it back before I drag out and connect the genset. With all the media hype, including five feet of snow expected to fall in the mountains of W.VA. and our power comes from down there.... Drug it out connected it and all was well. Power came back two hours later. Decided to leave the genset on the front porch which is on the East side of the house, the snow and wind was coming from the west. Next morning I went out and the wind had shifted and came in from the South and the genset was covered, including snow in the generator vents.....

Drug generator to the barn, vaccummed out the generator, then started it and put a load on and let it run for a while so it would heat up and dissipate any remaining moisture.

It's working now, just concerned about long term moisture issues. Thinking about spraying WD-40 in the vents and anywhere else I can get access, but not sure?

Generac 3750.

Opinions?

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying out a genset

I would just leave it. And definitely not spray any lub oil on it.

If it's a Generac, their website has a post a "question for the expert" type page. Maybe try that as well, but they are probably pretty busy.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 9:17

Thanks Tom,

Pretty much what I'm doing. I was only thinking of the WD as it's "Water Dispersal" and does dry up and disappear "after a while." However with the weather systems we're experiencing, I may need it tomorrow or something.

Called Generac and you were right, "With the recent storm on the east coast, wait times will be at least 40 minutes..."

Also thought about blowing compressed air through it, but my air compressor is a small one and doesn't have a dryer. With the rain and snow and sleet we've had for the past week, the air is super saturated with moisture and would probably deposit a lot of it where there probably isn't any now. Think I'll adopt the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" theory....:-)

Thanks again,

Ev

o

Ev, wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have my Generac 17.5kw under the deck, with a tarp on the deck. Monday night the rain was going horizontal, the machine got plenty wet. Didn't matter, still running fine. Might be some rust on the exhaust. that's OK. Running it 5 hours/day since then.

Probably OK to blow air through your Generac, as long as your air tank is drained of any water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here