Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 Hp limit adjustment

Posted by ladygodiva21 none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 11:55

The chain came off the sprocket and have managed to get it back on. Now in the process of adjusting the up and down limit. Down limit seems to be correct, but need to adjust the up movement since the trolley keeps hitting the stop bolt. While inserting the screwdriver the adjustment screw fell and I can't get to it. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 Hp limit adjustment

What model # is the Garage Door Opener? Did you remove the s/m cover (4 screws, 2 ea side) if I am correct with this being a Garage Opener? Did you see why the chain came off? Such as: I had a 1/3 HP Sears to recently come off due to a worn cable and about to break. This was a cable/chain combo vs all chain and the plastic pulley on the motor�s opposite end had worn badly (probably due to the chain getting too close to the pulley). I repaired with all chain and a steel sprocket on both ends (a better system IMO). The cable probably was off the pulley at one point, due to the slack I saw that went away while inspecting. loger

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 Hp limit adjustment

You need to remove the cover from the motor unit and find where the screw went. Then you will find the bearing for the gear & sprocket assembly is worn and letting the shaft lean forward. This is what causes the chain to come off. The part number for the gear & sprocket assembly is 41C4220A available from Sears parts and comes with instructions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here