Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angel123_gw

Homelite trimline weedeater

angel123
18 years ago

My gas weedeater Homelite is throwing out blue smoke then suddenly dies out. I turn it back on and it starts then about 1 minute it dies again. Please help!!

Comments (14)

• adkinsca
    18 years ago

Sounds like it is running very rich (too much gas).

First things to check are that you are running it at the correct oil to gas ratio (somewhere between 32:1 and 50:1 should be OK) and that the choke is working properly and is not closed. If those two things are OK, it may be in need of carburetor attention. The carb could just need to be adjusted, or may need to be cleaned or rebuilt.

The owners manual may have some information on how to adjust the carburetor. Some of the newer carburetors have fewer adjustments needles (many no longer have an "H" needle).

If you post the model number of your trimmer, people may be able to offer more suggestions.

• angel123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I bought a 2 cycle oil. Does it have to be the name brand of a 2 cycle oil to buy so the weddeater can run properly or any brand will do? Also i buy the 8. oz 2 cycle oil mix .I add the 8 oz oil the whole contents with 1 gallon of gas is that correct. Or correct me if im wrong!! Whats the correct amought of gas and oil to add to this Homelite weedeater? IT IS A PS05744

• cedgo
    18 years ago

Way too much oil! Best to buy the small bottles espescially for 1 gallon of gas. Approximately 2-1/2 oz. oil per gallon for 50-1 mix.

• adkinsca
    18 years ago

You are currently running a 16:1 oil ratio. That will definitely cause a significant amount of smoke when running. It is most likely building up oil and dripping out of the muffler at that ratio. I wouldn't mix at a higher ratio than 32:1 or 4oz of oil to 1 gal of gas.

To calculate the amount of oil to use, you need to simply divide the quantity of gas by the desired mix ratio.
    i.e. 1 gal of gas is 128 oz.
    So, for a 32:1 ratio 128/32 = 4 oz oil
    or for 50:1 ratio 128/50 = 2.56 oz oil

You can buy different measuring devices to help you.
    Personally, I have a gas can marked at 1/2 gallon and mix a half gallon at a time for 2-cycle mix at 50:1. I have used several different kinds of 2-cycle oil. If you buy a name-brand oil, you should be OK. I would feel comfortable running Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, etc at a 50:1 ratio. If you have your owners manual, it should state the recommended ratio from Homelite. Homelite used to sell a container that they called "Exact-mix". It had a 2.6 oz chamber at the top of the bottle that you could squeeze to fill, then pour the correct amount for a gallon mix at 50:1. That might also be a good option.

• metrocabin
    17 years ago

Having problem with my homelite weedeater. AT fully closed choke, this unit starts, and idles slow. At half open choke the unit runs faster but stalls out if I try to use it to cut, or even just stops itself after about a minute. At fully open choke the unit dies out almost immediately. Air filter is clean. I removed fuel filter, but that changed nothing. Choke is opening and closing normally. took screen cover of carb. and it wasn't chalked at all. Can any one help with some ideas. thanks.

• billw
    17 years ago

Suggest you check the fuel lines for pin holes and most likely nyou need a carb kit as the diaphragms get stiff or wrinkled & do not pump like they should.
    I stock either the WALBRO or the ZAMA kits
    Bill Walcott
    700 N 12th
    Marysville KS 66508
    785-562-3539
    SERVICING HOMELITE FOR OVER 50 YEARS

• edosan_go
    15 years ago

OK .. I have read all the messages here and have some advice. First of all, please use 2 cycle oil that meets the standards of JASO FD or FC. FD is better as it has more detergent in it to help extend your engine lifetime.

Make sure that you are using 89 octane from a reliable gas supplier. I advise against Shell but do endorse Sunoco (year around)and Exxon (summer fuel only). Sunoco uses 10% Ethanol year around and does not play with other oxygenation additives. REMEMBER 89 OCTANE.

Lastly, Homelite is made by Ryobi and if you are CA you have a different carb. In most cases .. the reported problems are do to bad oil mix or bad carbs. If you warranty is two years go to an authorized dealer and have it replaced.

On oil ..one comment .. it is 2.6 oz and not 2.5 oz per gallon. STANDARD RULE IT IS BETTER TO BE A SMIDGEN OVER ON THE OIL THEN UNDER. Less oil will greatly shorten the life of your engine.

• zfrancis
    15 years ago

my homeligte weedeater is dieing when i pulll the trigger all the way open. starts good and idles good but dies when i try to get it to full power. I did give it some time to warm up thinking that was the cause. but it was not. any help would be great.

• austinz57
    13 years ago

start it and go half throttle for a little while, then go a little more then more and more...

• firstflyboy
    13 years ago

I would agree with BillW. I have a homelite weedeater and was having the same problem. Through troubleshooting I found out the gas lines inside of the tank were cracked and the filter on the line was separated from the line. When I removed the lines, they crumbled between my fingers with very little pressure. It appears I was getting just enough gas into the engine by priming, but once the engine started and used that gas, no more would go through the lines and it would die. I am not saying you have the same problem however, when I was researching replacement parts, it appears there are very many others with the same issue. That being said, if you did nothing different with your gas/oil mixture, I would suggest you drain the tank and check the tubes inside to ensure they are not deterioriated. They are much cheaper to replace than the entire weedeater. BTW- my weedeater was manufactured in 2005, although I only had it about two seasons when the lines deterioriated. If you can find the tube size for your model, you might be able to find a suitable replacement line on eBay.

• papasweet
    13 years ago

I have two fairly new 26ss Homelite Mighty Weed Trimmers. Both have less then two (2) hours of running time on them. On one the pull string wont return, it wonÂt start the engine. I tried rewinding the spring and the string at least 8 times and I still canÂt get this thing to work right. I am an automotive machinist of over 40 years I work with the smallest to the largest engines all day. I had several other Top Machinists in the shop take a look at it as well. The string wont return back to its original position after a load is applied to the engine. After the second pull it jam again. The only other option I can think of is to replace the starter pulley. But the trimmer is new right????? I paid $120.00 for the thing new, and spent about $400.00 in time trying to fix it. The other trimmer the muffler fell off after the third (3) usage

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Papa: You would think with 40+ Yrs as a Machinist you could follow simple Policies and Proceeedure Standards !

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Papa: 8 Separate Threads of Various Different Topics and the Same No Related Question from You :(

• rocketjett2011
    12 years ago

My Homelite runs and works great but when the pull rope came off the pulley I of course took it apart and BANG everything was out and laying every where. Homelite e-mailed me a break down and parts list but no instruction on how to rewind that 4 ft section of spring steel known as the recoil spring. I can't find any one who will help me get it rewound.