Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgtr

OEM or 'Vacuum' Hose for Fuel Line on Chainsaw?

pgtr
13 years ago

On a Husqv 55 the fuel hose has premature cracking thru it's full length. Since the factory original part has proven to be short lived - would one be just as well if not better served by picking up some vacuum hose from the auto parts store? Or purchase the same OEM hose from Husqv that failed prematurely. Or some other option?

PS: And if I get in there to replace this part - what other (potential failure) part(s) should I consider servicing/replacing while I'm in there?

thanks!

Comments (6)

• canguy
    13 years ago

Vacuum hose is not fuel resistant, use line designed for the purpose.

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Tygon line its yellow it stand up to new gas.

• pgtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Tygon line its yellow it stand up to new gas." - Interesting - I googled it just now having never heard of it. Would this be something I could buy by the foot in an auto parts store or ??? thanks!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Ptgr: Tygon is a Generic Brand Name for Petroleum Based Use. For your Older Husky you may have to verify both ID and OD of the Fuel line you currently have at a local auto supply via bringing in a section of your current line. Much easier would be to just pick up a foot of OEM Hose from your Local Saw Dealer. Ensure to check / replace if warranted all Carburetor and return to tank and vent lines along with thorough inspection or replacement of Fuel Filter and check tightness of all connections while your at it. As you are aware OEM Fuel lines can last up to 25-30 Yrs Service if maintained , rather cheap price for such extended use , Right ?

Note: I have both Pioneer , Husky and Stihl saws all use different Style and composite material fuel line 5mm thru 1/4" & 5/16" OD with different ID dimensions accordingly lol . Good luck Dude with your line replacement and Happy Cutting !

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

Unfortunately this thread seems to be replacing facts with a good story.

TYGON is not generic. It is brand name of St. Gobain. It is formulated for fuel and aromatic hydrocarbon use. TYGON happens to be colored yelow for ID and others have copied.

McMaster-Carr sells TYGON fuel line, as well as cheaper unbranded yellow line. As for an auto parts store, you won't know unless you see the packaging first.

I use both generic yellow and TYGON brand, because TYGON is the only one available in certain sizes. However it does cost 2X to 3X as much. TYGON is a little softer and is almost a must on cheaper OPE where the fuel line enters the gas tank without any kind of fitting. It seals better and leaks less. As for service life, TYGON is better; however the difference is 3-5 years vs. 5-7 years in my experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: TYGON Tear Sheet

• ewalk
    13 years ago

gg: You may be correct I may have missed the ball , Tygon is what I replaced my 25 yr old Pioneers Lines with this Spring . My Stihl has Tygon on it , but I now see that my Husky although Transparent Yellow Hue is a clone . Probably because its a Homeowner and not Pro Saw . I know Tygon also provides a Furan-R for Bio-Diesel(Injector) line Usage where Tygon Yellow will not suffice. I remember well when the Neoprene began acting up and was 1st introduced to Ethanol fuel in Michigan 2 yrs ago . Anyhow Thanxs for the correction . I sure hope the Tygon lasts longer than 5-7 yrs ?