Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backpack leaf blower; Echo or Husqvarna

Posted by miket1013 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 12:33

I am in the market for a backpack leaf blower and cannot decide between the Echo or Husqvarna brand. The two I have chosen are priced the same ($199) and available at HD or Lowes. I have copied the 'important specs' from the sites. Can the Husqvarna be that much better? The small gas tank on the Husqvarna is bothering me.
Anyone have experience with these models? Which are recommended?

Thanks!

SPECS from Home Deopt & Lowes' sites respectively.
Echo Model # PB-500H
Maximum Air Volume (CFM) : 450
Maximum air speed (mph) : 162

Husqvarna Model #: 150BT
Volume of Air Moved (CFM) 710.0
Air Velocity (MPH) 251.0

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backpack leaf blower; Echo or Husqvarna

PB500 is new and is not as strong. 150Bt has been around for years and is very reliable. The spec you put for 150Bt is not correct, it is about 490cfm at the end of the tube and about 170+mph at the tube. They are both $299.

I'll take the 150Bt any day particular they already discontinue this and change to 350Bt. In the new CARB complaince stuff, new is always not as good, get the 150Bt while they still have it.

o

I have a Husky 165BT and I would not trade it for anything.

o

My neighbor had a Husq 130 backpack blower which worked well last fall (when it was new). He was using it today and came over to me and said the speed was not the same as he remembered. It was a bit faster than idle but when he opened the throttle it failed to increase speed. We checked the linkage to the carb and it was fine. He took it back to Lowes and they gave him a Troy Bilt blower in exchange and told him that they have had a lot of problems with Husky blowers. Anyone else hear the same story?

Bob

o

• Posted by edge 6a (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 21:47

I have heard this problem on Husky blowers could be caused by the carb throttle valve becoming loose and not opening fully. Did your neighbor have had the extended warranty? Otherwise Lowes won't take it back after 30 days.

o

Posted by misterfixit1967

My neighbor had a Husq 130 backpack blower which worked well last fall (when it was new). He was using it today and came over to me and said the speed was not the same as he remembered. It was a bit faster than idle but when he opened the throttle it failed to increase speed. We checked the linkage to the carb and it was fine. He took it back to Lowes and they gave him a Troy Bilt blower in exchange and told him that they have had a lot of problems with Husky blowers. Anyone else hear the same story?

Bob
=============

I have heard of that problem many times. People call it a "Case of industrial dumbasz.

#1. Buying any power equipment from a place like Lowes is a good indication that you/he has a classic case of the dumbasz. Lowes people are barely certified to sale something let alone work on it. A simple carb adjustment would have fixed the blower. #2. Anyone who would trade a Husqvarna 130 for anything made by Troy Bilt just confirms that a case of dumbasz has struck again.

o

Yea I agree with hippy, that fix on the carb would be super simple. You could probably look around on Google and find someone who troubleshoots that exact model so you could do it yourself. The husq blowers in my experience are great, they certainly don't wear out after a single season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Husqvarna Leaf Blower

o

Both are good choices. I would lean toward the Husqvarna if I was in your shoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backpack Leaf Blowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here