Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miket1013

Backpack leaf blower; Echo or Husqvarna

miket1013
13 years ago

I am in the market for a backpack leaf blower and cannot decide between the Echo or Husqvarna brand. The two I have chosen are priced the same ($199) and available at HD or Lowes. I have copied the 'important specs' from the sites. Can the Husqvarna be that much better? The small gas tank on the Husqvarna is bothering me.

Anyone have experience with these models? Which are recommended?

Thanks!

SPECS from Home Deopt & Lowes' sites respectively.

Echo Model # PB-500H

Maximum Air Volume (CFM) : 450

Maximum air speed (mph) : 162

Husqvarna Model #: 150BT

Volume of Air Moved (CFM) 710.0

Air Velocity (MPH) 251.0

Comments (7)

• yungman
    13 years ago

PB500 is new and is not as strong. 150Bt has been around for years and is very reliable. The spec you put for 150Bt is not correct, it is about 490cfm at the end of the tube and about 170+mph at the tube. They are both $299.

I'll take the 150Bt any day particular they already discontinue this and change to 350Bt. In the new CARB complaince stuff, new is always not as good, get the 150Bt while they still have it.

• zoulas
    13 years ago

I have a Husky 165BT and I would not trade it for anything.

• misterfixit1967
    12 years ago

My neighbor had a Husq 130 backpack blower which worked well last fall (when it was new). He was using it today and came over to me and said the speed was not the same as he remembered. It was a bit faster than idle but when he opened the throttle it failed to increase speed. We checked the linkage to the carb and it was fine. He took it back to Lowes and they gave him a Troy Bilt blower in exchange and told him that they have had a lot of problems with Husky blowers. Anyone else hear the same story?

Bob

• edge
    12 years ago

I have heard this problem on Husky blowers could be caused by the carb throttle valve becoming loose and not opening fully. Did your neighbor have had the extended warranty? Otherwise Lowes won't take it back after 30 days.

• hippy
    12 years ago

Posted by misterfixit1967

My neighbor had a Husq 130 backpack blower which worked well last fall (when it was new). He was using it today and came over to me and said the speed was not the same as he remembered. It was a bit faster than idle but when he opened the throttle it failed to increase speed. We checked the linkage to the carb and it was fine. He took it back to Lowes and they gave him a Troy Bilt blower in exchange and told him that they have had a lot of problems with Husky blowers. Anyone else hear the same story?

Bob
    =============

I have heard of that problem many times. People call it a "Case of industrial dumbasz.

#1. Buying any power equipment from a place like Lowes is a good indication that you/he has a classic case of the dumbasz. Lowes people are barely certified to sale something let alone work on it. A simple carb adjustment would have fixed the blower. #2. Anyone who would trade a Husqvarna 130 for anything made by Troy Bilt just confirms that a case of dumbasz has struck again.

• TreeDoor
    11 years ago

Yea I agree with hippy, that fix on the carb would be super simple. You could probably look around on Google and find someone who troubleshoots that exact model so you could do it yourself. The husq blowers in my experience are great, they certainly don't wear out after a single season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Husqvarna Leaf Blower

• OutdoorGuy1
    10 years ago

Both are good choices. I would lean toward the Husqvarna if I was in your shoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backpack Leaf Blowers