Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling Dads old gas powered Equipment?

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 12:34

My Dad had several old chainsaws, leaf blowers, weed eaters, ETC.

I need to clean out his storage building and I figure I can make a few $ off of them.

They haven't been started in 5 years or so. I'm thinking I should just sell them "as is" instead of trying to get them running again.

They would probably sell for close to the same price IMHO and would take many hours to get them going. Especially the weed eaters and leaf blowers, since new ones are so cheap.

What do Y'all tinkerers think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling Dads old gas powered Equipment?

Wertach: If you have the Manufacturers and Model info for the saws and trimmers and blowers we could better assist you within your needs. If they are 20 - 30 yrs old then a few hundred dollars could be realized for the entire lot . If they are quality product . If they are cheap units then even less . Only if the units are within 10 yrs old will you see any real return on your time and resolve.

o

If you try to get them operating, ethanol fuel may eat the fuel lines.

o

Most of them are 30 or so years old, plus or minus. Solid built stuff, metal instead of plastic, but not the better brands. They are Poulan, Sears, Homelite, ETC.

It will be the weekend before I have time to fool with them and get the numbers.

I am just going to replace the plugs, put gas in them and pull a few times. Who knows they may start right up.

I have non-ethanol gas that use in my older stuff, so the fuel lines will be OK.

They were ran dry the last time they were started. Unless one of my brothers messed with them after the last time I ran them.

o

I had some success!

Three of the four chainsaws started and ran good after about a dozen pulls, the one that didn't start isn't getting a spark. It's a really old, maybe 70's model Sears with a worn out 14" bar so I'm going to sell it as is or give it away.

None of the weed-eaters have a spark, so I'll sell as is or give away. Weed-Eaters are so cheap now-days, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

The newest leaf blower started also, the other one has a bad bearing and sounded like it was going to explode when it sputtered for a few minutes. The fan or whatever it's called is rubbing the housing.

I think I'll keep the good leaf blower, it's a Hoss!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here