Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I Mess Up My Chainsaw's Clutch?

Posted by goodripleydog Front Range CO (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 13:50

I'm fairly new to chainsaw world, just got a Husqvarna 445. When using it the other day I noticed the chain was loose. Before I could adjust it, it fell of the bar. After getting nowhere by loosening the tension screw, I pulled off the clutch cover and was able to get the chain back on the bar. However, I turned the clutch by hand while getting the chain on, and now the chain will not turn in either direction. Its like the brake is on and won't go off. I must have done something wrong by turning the clutch - how do I fix this?

Thanks for the help!
GRD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I Mess Up My Chainsaw's Clutch?

No you did not do nothing wrong by turning the clutch it free wheeling till rpms comes up and over takes spring pressure holding the two clutch halfs togather.

Something is bound up. Probably the adjustment not in the notch hole on the bar and bound everything up. I would remove the cover, loosen the tension screw enough to get it in the bar hole easily when putting the cover back on. run the nuts down by hand but remove all the slack so the bar will still slide as you adjust the tension back on the chain.

As the tension gets close with glove on move the chain so you know it's not binding up as you adjust it. Once you got proper tension tighten the cover nuts to lock the bar in place and check tension and movement. Outside chance the brake locked up on the cover but that usually makes it real hard to get over the clutch when you try to put the cover back on...

o

Thanks for the advice. I'll give this a try on Saturday and hopefully be out cutting again!

GRD

o

hey, thought of something else?? you could of got the chain off track and pinched the chain either on the bar or not around the clutch properly under the clutch cover??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here