Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
govenatorx

Echo PB-610 backpack blower problem

govenatorx
12 years ago

I have owned the above blower since 2004 and it has been a champ. The only complaint I had with it was when you opened the throttle the blower bogged down just a bit before spinning up but still was responsive and pretty powerful.

Just last week it developed an issue where it started at idle fine with a few primes and choke as usual. When I opened the throttle to full it bogged down and eventually sputtered out. I tried to restart it and it then started to rough idle and would die out. The only way to get it to run would be to eventually coax the throttle to full or to open the throttle to full and pull the recoil starter.

I took the carb off thinking it was a clogged jet. I don't know how many jets there are but I sprayed carb cleaner in every orifice I could find to try to clean it out. I put it back together and after a short while it ran okay as it it were new, but then started the same problems again. I need some suggestions as I cannot afford to buy a new one and this one has only been used for home use. Any help would be appreciated. For the record, the fuel is fresh this summer and has Startron fuel stabilizer in it so I assume it is okay. I have used this mixture for years in my Toro single stage snow blower, Stihl chain saw, and Echo string trimmer so it hasn't been an issue. Thoughts? Thank you.

Comments (5)

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

Sounds like most of my trimmers, blowers, edgers, and chainsaws. Could be a cracked fuel line sucking air, a stopped up fuel filter, or more likely it's the 7 year old carburetor diaphragms. Take it apart and replace the fuel filter and fuel lines with high quality correct size. By the right carb kit and rebuild the carburetor. Replace the pump bulb and air filter element as well. Keep using high quality gas with stabilizer. Put a new spark plug in at this time as well.

• govenatorx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that you mention it, I did notice that since the problem started, I get no resistance when I use the primer bulb. Before it required some effort to push the primer, but now the primer bulb is really easy to push and feels like I am only priming air.

• govenatorx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered my parts and spent over $60 for the carb rebuild kit, primer bulb, fuel lines, spark plug, air filter, and fuel filter. I pulled apart everything and replaced everything. I sprayed carb cleaner in every possible port that I could see. I DID NOT take out the two screws with the plastic caps and clean inside there. I don't know if that is the problem. I put everything back together and the same problem exists.

I am frusterated as all get up because after $60 in new parts the same problem is happening. After I turned it on it idled for a very short while and died out. I had to repeatedly crank it over, with the throttle opened wide and fiddled with the choke to get it to fire and run fully. Once I got it running at full throttle I played with the throttle a little and brought it lower towards idle and then WOT. It reluctantly revved back up. After I pulled the throttle back it died out. Any more suggestions? Thanks.

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

The two screws with the plastic caps are mixture adjustment screws and very well could be where the blockage in the fuel delivery is. Remove the screws and clean the passages where they seat. You may also have to disassemble and re-clean the carburetor. I always remove the plastic caps so the mixture can be properly adjusted. Good luck. I have had similar bad luck on these things and sometimes just want to give up.

• govenatorx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will re-disassemble the carb. I also didn't remove the welch plug as I don't have a punch to put it back in. I'll post my results after the second tear down. Thanks.