Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_nwnj

Put gasoline in a diesel container?

tom_nwnj
11 years ago

Trying to get 2 more gas containers. If I can't find them, just wondering if I can put gasoline in an empty diesel container (yellow). Can I rinse the container to make it safer/cleaner for gas engine, or is it just something that should not be done?

Thanks

t

Comments (11)

• Greg Goyeneche
    11 years ago

Chemically there is not reason you can't. Gasoline (Red), Diesel (Yellow) and Kerosene (Blue) are all made of same materials - polyethylene. However, you may not be able to get gas station to fill due to fire codes.

I use red containers for gasoline and have a couple of blue containers with diesel for my F350. Haven't had a problem filling the blues with diesel.

Diesel and kero are close enough that you can't get in trouble. However I wouldn't want to mistakenly pour gas from a yellow container or diesel from a red container and end up doing something dangerous or harmful to my equipment.

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

"you may not be able to get gas station to fill due to fire codes"...This is hardly an insurmountable problem. You take the red container to the gas station, have it filled, then take it home and pour it into the yellow container. To answer your question I imagine they are all made out of the same type of plastic. I'd use a sharpie to mark the container with the contents.

• ewalk
    11 years ago

Tom , to answer your question as to usage of diesel container for gasoline no problem . Only down side would to be confused and add gasoline to a diesel engine . I would ensure you identify at least temporarily the yellow container as gasoline container .

• nod702
    11 years ago

Get a can of red spray paint (for plastic) at Walmart paint the container red.

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought my gasoline (28 gallons), yellow container too, and see that loads of people were doing the same thing. No red gas containers for sale at Walmart or Tractor Supply. Everybody is stocking up.

Have a 17.5Kw Generac, two cables on it. 80 amps total. Hoping I don't have to use it. For everybody in the storm's path, please think safety at all times. The storm will pass soon.

Thanks all!

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just looked at accuweather.com. They are saying winds gusting to 82 MPH on Monday night here (and I am 70 miles from the coast). Wow.

• txtom50
    11 years ago

ABC News is saying the storm is gonna impact a THIRD of the country. That'll just about cover New Orleans.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    11 years ago

"Use what you got!!"

Had to chuckle about PO's comment about fire codes. Last big storm here wanted to get an additonal 5 gallons of gas for my genset. Had a "KERO" can and thought I'd use it. Pulled into local place, put can on ground and started to pump. Pump wouldn't start? Walked up to the little enclosed office thing to find out why? The 18 year old female (NOT being sexist, just descriptive) stopped texting on her cell phone long enough to say "That's the wrong kind of can and it's illegal." What could someone with over 50 years operating and repairing large and small engines say to her? Went to another place and filled up :-)

We need more laws and lawyers to protect us!!!

Ev

• andyma_gw
    11 years ago

My cars are filled up and the truck is 1/2 full. First order of business tomorrow will be to gas up my work van. The BMWs are easy to siphon from, so I use them to store gas. I have 2 stroke mix oil for the saw a few cans to shift it in. I'm just south of Boston on the coast. I'm back a couple miles from the shore. Now that I fixed the carb on my 10 hoss Tecumseh 5 Kw

I carry heating oil or diesel in a gas jug with no trouble. It is up to me what I do with it.

• robertz6
    11 years ago

Nod7 mentioned spraying plastic containers with spray paint. I had a bunch of 5 gal buckets and wanted to change the color. I cleaned and roughed up exterior with some fine sandpaper. The Kmart spray paint for plastic (started with a 'K'?)seems to stick very well, but the label does say wait one week before using for best results. Older buckets with primer and latex paint over it peeled off rather quickly.

I did get kerosene once with a red gas can -- labeled it in big letters with the new name, and the hardware store filled it. That is probably better than going the other direction, or putting gas in a container used for less flammable products.

• austinlerwick12
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I don't think there is any problem with that my friend also do that, but more than one time there will be some problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: IHI-EC