Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krnuttle

Report on Cub Cadet BC509

krnuttle
11 years ago

The magic smoke came out of my 14 year old Craftsman Electric string trimmer, and while I like the plugin convenience of the electric, I ran out of electric cords at our new home.

My lot is a little over 3/4 acre, that is partially wooded, with a stone lined ditch in the front.

I looked around and read about the various 4 cycle string trimmers. I was hesitant on buying the Cub Cadet, because most of the reviews I found complained about hard starting. I finally bought 4-cycle Cub Cadet BC509 on the recommendation of a friend

Pricewise I considered it a better deal for the money, as it came with a bump head, cutter blade, and shoulder strap, all extras on most other string trimmers.

I have had the machine about 2 months now. After assembling and putting in the oil, I tried to start it and it took multiple attempts. I was beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake. Then I remembered what I tell my wife: "Husbands do not make mistakes" and sure enough after getting gas into the crevices of the engine. It started easily. after using it for about 15 minutes I shut it off and and about 15 minutes later it restarted it

I have used it a half dozen time since then. I pump the gas with through the system until I am tired and then do it that much again. It has started or attempted to start by the second attempt, and is running on the third.

The keys are pumping the gas, and keeping the throttle wide open for about a minute to get the unit hot. I have had no problems with the bump head, nor the operation of the unit.

Comments (3)