Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edge10

Opinions On LCT Snow Engines

edge
12 years ago

I like to get some input from those of you with experience with owning or repairing equipment with these engines. Comparisons on how they stack up against other well known brands would be helpful too. I am looking at a Ariens Snow-tek snow blower that has an LCT Storm Force engine 208 cc, but I think other blowers use these engines also.

I don't have the exact engine model number, but it looks like the latest Storm Force 208 series version that has changes made to the carb linkages and fuel shutoff. I read about problems with the carb/ linkage on past models.

Things that come to mind are reliability, power, starting, parts availability, component quality . Anything else you can think of would appreciated too.

Comments (5)

• ericwi
    12 years ago

Our Ariens snowblower was made back around 2007, and it has a Tecumseh engine. The switch to LCT engines happened since then, and there has not been much time to accumulate a service history. I believe that these are manufactured in China. The Chinese have been building small engines since the 1960's, that I am aware of, so they have had plenty of time to learn how to get it right. I am not happy about the demise of Tecumseh engine manufacturing. Here in Wisconsin, we lost something like 5000 jobs when this happened. Nonetheless, I would expect LCT engines to perform well.

• johnner1999
    12 years ago

I have had one of the snow-tek throwers (smallest one 22") bought it from HD as a refurbished model for $250 towards the end of the season.....

I have had it now for three seasons (if you count Snowtober here in CT) and must say very happy with it and engine; starts on the 1-2 pull every time (except after coming out of storage it took maybe 4-5 pulls) it might be a little smoky till it warms up which appears to happen quickly less then a minutes) And I really abuse it with my steep driveway and moving the ice buildup snow from the towns plow. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

• edge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ johnener

Sounds like you got a great deal. How is the sheet metal holding up? Any rust? I'm not sure if the Sno-tek black finish is powdercoat like the regular orange models.

@ericwi
    To bad about Tecumseh going out of business and the job loss. From what I read, LCT is a US company that designs the engine an has is made in China to their specs. Ariens has had input on the design. Supposedly some ex-Tec and Brigg employers are working at LCT.

• johnner1999
    12 years ago

Not bad - looks almost new... the unit has a twin exhaust pipes type muffler (looks like an older 80's honda or subaru design) both tips are rusted good! They don't stick out much so I don't see them "falling apart" but they also might not be as bad as they actually look.

Only spot that is rusting on the actually blower is the name plate where the handles are. It seems Home Depot uses a dermal to etch the serial number and refurbished ID.... I was stupid and never sanded it down and panted it over. Its not bad by any means - maybe over thanksgiving I'll sand it....

• topsyt
    12 years ago

Have owned sno tek 24 since introduction. First Ariens did extensive research on engines before release. This snow blower has handled 2 Ohio winters and still looks brand new. So far so good no complaints.