Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiceislander

Chipper Shredders

SpiceIslander
10 years ago

We live in the Caribbean where just about everything grows fast. I am quite fed up of having to pay for a truck to take away cuttings from trees and then having to buy mulch. We compost as much as possible...leaves and anything suitable from the kitchen. It is never enough!

So am seriously thinking of buying a chipper shredder but do not have any experience of them. The option to rent one here is just not available. We would need to import it which is not a problem.

We have 3/4 acre of land and would use the machine 2 - 3 times per year.

An I please have as many opinions as possible on the best brand and model numbers?

BTW I do know that they are very dangerous.

Comments (4)

• zen_man
    10 years ago

Hello,

I have been using my MacKissic 12PT9 model shredder-chipper for about 8 years now, and I am still very happy with it. Of course, it has been superseded by improved models, mainly with increases in horsepower of the engine. Mine has a 9 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine, which has been adequate for me. I appreciate that it still usually starts on the second pull after all these years. I purchased most of the optional screens for it, so that I can control the consistency of the final product. My 1/4-inch screen produces a very fine product with a lot of surface area for rapid composting. I also have 1/2-inch, 3/4-inch, 1-inch screen for various product sizes and a 3x1.5 inch screen for wet materials. The 1-inch screen is "standard" and comes with it.

I also purchased the waterproof cover so I could leave my MacKissic parked at a work site for an extended multi-year time. I used a bicycle cable around a nearby tree to keep my MacKissic from "wandering off". We have since moved, and I now keep my MacKissic in the garage with my Merry Tiller (also from MacKissic).

I currently have the 3/4-inch screen mounted so that I can convert a brush pile into some material for a garden path. My garden is nearly an acre in size. I use my 12PT9 several times a year, and it will get a lot of use during my Fall cleanup.

My suggestion is that you consider one of the MacKissic hammer-mill shredder-chippers, because the hammer-mill design is very versatile and can handle a variety of materials, from big limbs to oyster shells. Occasionally I put a mix of old and new compost through mine to blend them together. You can put dirt through a hammer-mill if you want.

The 12P models have a more extensive selection of screens, but I think all of the MacKissic models have very practical, capable, durable designs.

ZM
    (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

This post was edited by zenman on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 13:50

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

We have a Yard Machines gas powered that is really nice:

Review:
    http://voices.yahoo.com/yard-machines-10hp-gas-chippershredder-2803615.html

Tips for use:
    http://voices.yahoo.com/tips-efficient-chippershredder-3068904.html

===========
    It does save lots of work because the shredded branches can go right onto mulched places, or into the compost bins.

• SpiceIslander
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much - going with the MacKissic.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

Look around to see what is for sale used. You did not mention what size material you would be shredding.

I started with a Troy-bilt small chipper/shredder. It had a belt and clutch. My dad shredded the belt in a month. It took me a while to get the hang of engaging same since the thing was underpowered. Since my normal working position was on the other side of the air intake -- it caught fire (OK it smouldered) twice before I noticed!

The next one I used was a Craftsman, and it also had its good and bad points. No clutch, but you could get tired just starting it.

If you can work with a couple of different machines before you buy -- all the better.