Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boopster_gw

Best chain saw for the money?

boopster
18 years ago

Sorry if this has been covered before. My friend wants to get a chainsaw for her husband for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I told her you guys would know the best deal:) I think my husband has a Craftsman, but we don't use it enough to be able to make a judgement one way or the other. So what's her best bet, without breaking the bank? Oh, we're in Texas, he'll be cutting mostly oak...probably can expect moderate to heavy use...thanks for any help.

Comments (95)

• newjerseybt
    17 years ago

Hmmm...Talking about missing the runway. It is time to
    punch in your "go around" and throttle up. lol
    -------------------------------------------------

Anyway...Regarding Stihl...Is there any significant difference in the engines/carbs in the homeowner/medium priced and pro models? Cast iron sleeves etc. Other quality differences?

I went to Baer Harley Motorcycle sales and service located in NE PA and they seemed more interested in selling bikes then helping me out and selling me a chain saw...so here I am with questions. This dealer is an "XXX out". No service now, no service later.

One thing not mentioned here is the labor if you have to hire someone to cut down one 14"D 75' pine for instance. The saw pays for itself in one use!

• canguy
    17 years ago

There are significant differences in the construction of the consumer and so called semi pro versus the pro models. The pros use an all metal crankcase with a vertical part line pressed on the bearings and a bolt on cylinder. Most of the lower priced saws split horizontally and the plastic fuel tank/handle assembly form the lower half. The Husky 55, an older design, is a notable exception. Also, pro saws generally use higher quality materials for the cylinder and piston coatings as well as the rings.

• newjerseybt
    17 years ago

Thanks canguy. I suspect that will equate to many more hours of operating service before a major overhaul is necessary.

On other types of proline equipment that I am familiar with, I usually find the better engineering makes for
    smoother running, more power, easier to handle, a better result (in capable hands). Bearings vs. bushings, tungsten carbide bits vs. H.S., available torque etc. I just appreciate great engineering as opposed to "OK" engineering. Proline equipment in general is just more fun to use IMO. Maybe it's all in my head. lol

• john_alaskajohn_com
    16 years ago

For what it's worth...

I destroyed two Poulans before I finally bought a real chainsaw. I have a Shindaiwa 488 and love it ... all the cheep plastic and alloy pieces that busted on the Poulans are high quality metal on the Shindy.

What am I cutting? I have a home in Interior Alaska. I bring down and buck up 8 to 16 inch diameter birch and spruce ... about a hundred tree so far.

I took the Shindaiwa over to a friends house who had an old dried-out, 30" diameter spruce trunk. It was left over from a previous owner (probably 20 years earlier) and cut into four 8 foot long pieces and needed to be diced up for transporting it out of there. My Shindaiwa barely bruised it... as did the commercial stump remover we rented. The point is, it's all about having the right tool for the job.

Here is a link that might be useful: AlaskaJohn

• canguy
    16 years ago

The 488 is a little dated but is an excellent saw, a real favorite with the log home builders.

• ladylake
    16 years ago

Best bang for the buck are Echo's, they are built a lot better than homeowner Stihl's and Husky's that cost just as much. I'd try and get a CS440 off ebay for around $200 they cut good run and handle real nice. If you could find a CS520 for a little more they cur really good. I'd stay away from Poulan's. too many problems. Steve

• mike1950
    16 years ago

My Pouland chainsaw died today...took it to the local shop...90lbs compression not good...3 years young...the local shop sells Shindaiwa....he said it will be the last chainsaw I buy in my life time (Im 57).....he had a big pile of Pouland chainsaws in a corner dead...anyway looking at the 488 18inch bar..his price $359+tax...what do you think?

• canguy
    16 years ago

"he had a big pile of Pouland chainsaws in a corner dead" I think you have answered your question.

• barbedwire
    16 years ago

The quality of the 488 is excellent but if you are willing to spend that much money there are other good saws with more modern features and better anti vibe such as the Husky 353 that would also be worthy of consideration.

I also don`t care for the flimsy single sided attachment of the brake flag on the 488 and to compound this short coming, IMO the flag material is way too soft, allowing too much deflection which must surely equate to a delay in the activation of the brake in the event of a kickback.

I also think that Shindaiwa`s hp rating for the 488 is extremely optimistic, it doesn`t seem to have the power of the Husky 346 or the older ms260 that are/were similarly rated. The 488 is nonetheless one of the best ~ 50cc saws available.

• kylaba
    16 years ago

I would definitely not say that the brake flag on the Shindaiwa 488 is flimsy. It is actually very sturdy.
    Of course, the 488 is now N.L.A, replaced by the 490, although you could still find left overs at some dealers.

• barbedwire
    16 years ago

Well kylaba I`m saying the flag is flimsy compared to any saw that has the flag attached on both sides and Shinny could have used a harder plastic, what do you base your assumed comparative opinion on? I`ve got two 488s and as I said I think they are durable, probably as much so as any other saw on the market, but they do leave something to be desired in other areas.

You aren`t one of those people who`s never compared your 488 to anything else are you? If you`ve never looked beyond the spec sheet you can`t really offer much of an educated opinion on comparisons.

• canguy
    16 years ago

Now now, no need to get snarky just because he disagrees with your OPINION. kylaba, has the 490 been released? When I asked our Shindaiwa rep about it, I got a blank look.

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

Without going into a long story, I really like my MS250 (standard model). And the Stihl folks did backflips to get me out of a warranty bind that was more or less self inflicted.

Dave

• kylaba
    16 years ago

canguy, we can not even order them here any more. We got a load of 490's in a few weeks ago.

barbedwire, my opinion is based on the 488's track record. The chain brake has never been an issue (as far as breakage), while I've seen breakage on other popular brands using a guard attached on both sides.

As far as the 488's performance, I'm not contesting that.

• barbedwire
    16 years ago

kylaba,

I don`t recall posting anything saying that the brake flag had broken, I posted in regard to the flag being attached on only one side and as having too much deflection because of the single sided attachment and the softer material that it is made from. Perhaps this is why the 488 doesn`t have a record for breaking the flag, they just bend out of the way?

That in my mind does not however make for a quick or even adequate actuation of the brake.

It is obvious from your latest post in this thread that you are a dealer, perhaps not a user, and that throws up an immediate bias flag IMO. Perhaps you have handled a thousand of the 488s as they were going out the door of the shop but frankly in no way does that relate to how the saws function in the real world at work. I offered my strong reply to your statement that you don`t see or perceive any weakness because your post had assumed an air of authority on the matter and I want(ed) to know just what you base your authoritative stance on?

As I suspected, you are in the supply chain. That doesn`t in any way make you a bad guy but your opinions in regard to certain features of this product as compared to others is very likely to be different than mine. I don`t feel that showroom or spec sheet comparisons offer much validity to a person who is actually looking at a product to use, much the same as the earlier poster`s spread sheet comparison of various saw models. I don`t think that he even realizes that he has several apples to oranges comparisons within his product(spreadsheet) and the absence of several models of a certain brand while including obvious dogs of another is quite conspicuous to someone who has a broader saw knowledge base. This forum however does not seem to cater primarily to those with a broader knowledge or experience base, at least as pertaining to chainsaws, so I prefer to have posters qualify how they have derived their opinions of the saws which they are posting about.

Then, maybe, those who are using the opinions expressed here can develop a weighted comparison of the opinions to understand how they relate to how they will be using the products and what they can reasonably expect.

Sorry about the offense kylaba, you handled it very diplomatically. My personality is less diplomatic. barbedwire isn`t a moniker given to me by a random name generator. hahahaha

• canguy
    16 years ago

As you have probably gathered, I am a dealer sales rep as well as a chainsaw user. As such, I get to see what works and does not work every day with the parade to the service counter. If I sell a product that does not meet the customer's expectations, believe me, I hear about it.
    We see broken flags often on the box store saws but seldom on the better brands such as Shindaiwa unless someone has dropped the saw or left it in the trailer while loading wood.

• barbedwire
    16 years ago

Canguy,

I am familiar with you from this forum and others, I have a pretty good idea of your knowledge and experience base and don`t question your credentials. I will however quote for you from my post just previous to your last reply.

"I don`t recall posting anything saying that the brake flag had broken, I posted in regard to the flag being attached on only one side and as having too much deflection because of the single sided attachment and the softer material that it is made from. Perhaps this is why the 488 doesn`t have a record for breaking the flag, they just bend out of the way?"

I did not say anything in any other post regarding a BROKEN flag on a Shindaiwa either. If we are to "argue" a point, shouldn`t we at least be arguing the same point?

• canguy
    16 years ago

All I am saying is that if the Shindaiwa flag design was an issue for most users, I am sure I would have heard about it. When resetting the brake, I grasp the flag over the pivot and have never had a problem with it..

• shrice51
    16 years ago

I bought and broke this in a few months ago. Used it the other day....two pumps on the primer, pulled out the choke, two pulls on the rope and it fired right up. Worked like a charm. I've used the same Mac for 24 years until it finally wouldn't start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chainsaw

• barbedwire
    16 years ago

Canguy,

I am not seeking an argument with you but I still have to emphasize that what you are stating does not exactly relate to my complaint. Sure, put your hand over the pivot when you reset the brake and it`s all good, but what if your left hand is in the normal position, which by necessity and design is to the left of the pivot, where does your hand bear on the flag in the event of a kickback?

Out toward the unsupported side.

I also frequently roll my wrist forward to set the brake when walking or changing position, something that everyone is supposed to do every time. This is where I first noticed the shortcoming in the Shindaiwa design. With my Huskies and Stihls it is a nearly automatic action requiring very little hand or wrist movement, not so with the 488.

This whole thread is about what is the best chainsaw, aren`t safety features a factor in what`s best? I have over 30 years experience using saws in employment, firewooding, and competition and my worst accident to date is a nick in the outer covering in a pair of chaps. I also use the built in safety features of the saws and proper body position so that I am not in the path of the bar and chain should reactionary forces come into play. The problem is that too many people buy saws who shouldn`t be using them because they don`t respect what can happen before they even know it`s happening. Also, too many have a false sense of security when a saw has a brake.

It`s my opinion that every saw should have a freely and properly functioning brake virtually regardless of how your hands are positioned provided one hand is on the top front handlebar. Single side attached flags are at a disadvantage here, especially if the material is soft and will deflect. I`m willing to bet that most new or causual users of chainsaws wouldn`t even think of this until they get themselves hurt.

• borate
    16 years ago

Hi folks. I'm new here. Just wanted to add my two cents regarding best chainsaw for the money. I've owned two big Jonsereds since 1984. A 630 and a 670. Both saws still run without any issues and both will cut wood with a vengeance all day long. As far as "best" goes, one must determine application. If a person is in the forest industry and will be doing a lot of cutting, there is no replacement for displacement. A large rugged saw is necessary. In this situation, I would definitely go with the high end Jonsereds/Husky then Stihl. I have no experience with Shindawa, Echo or other relatively recent quality brands that would meet the demands of a professional woodsman. Now, if the requirements are relatively moderate to light duty, I'd definitely look at Echo. I have a number of their yard maintenance products and their stuff is top notch.

• buckklier
    15 years ago

Stihl makes 3 quality of chain saws ms 170 ms180 ms250 are the low end, ocassional user saw, these have an EPA rating of 50 hours which can relate to the life of the motors. The mid range saws ms270 ms280 ms290 ms310 ms390 cary a 125hr rating, the pro saw ms260, ms361, etc, are rated as 300 hours. All Echo saw are 300 hour EPA Rated and have a 5 year warranty, where as stihl is a 1 year. I also priced some parts on Echo and Stihl, on the same size saws. Echo parts are a lot cheaper!!

• sasha417
    15 years ago

Hi! Just make it through Hurrican Ike. Houston is a mess. A big tree fell in my yard. Any suggestions on a chain saw that will be easy for a novice to use? I know, I know, it's not the ideal situation, I'd rather hire a tree professional. But basically it is such a disaster here that I'll have to learn to use the saw myself or the tree will never get moved. The tree is a Cypress tree,I'm guessing 20 inches in diameter.

Yes! I am one of the lucky few people who actually has power, so I'll check this site for responses.
    Thanks for your advice.

• gregd
    15 years ago

Sasha,

My advice is to go to your local Stihl or Echo dealer (NOT LOWES OR HOME DEPOT) and talk to them. They will set you up with a QUALITY saw that is right for you, and will even give you some instruction on how to use it.

If you have a few minutes, check my post on cheap power tools and don't make the same mistakes I have.

Good luck,
    Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: cheap power tools

• cowboyandy
    15 years ago

Sasha, you are in a tough spot. a 20" tree is not really for a novice. The problem that you are going to run into is that you will need a good sized bar for that, and the bigger the bar the bigger the engine the more it weighs the harder it is to handle, not to mention price.

• sasha417
    15 years ago

Thanks all. Unfortunately, I cannot go to a dealer here in Houston,everyone is sold out. My friend is in Austin and can go to the farm equipment supply there. This is not the ideal situation, but it was a hurricane and we are in disaster mode now. If I buy the saw, I'm sure I can find someone who has saw experience to use it.

• masiman
    15 years ago

If I had my way I would get a nice Stihl or Husqvarna, but I use chainsaws. If you don't think you'll ever use that saw again, you could go cheap and get a Poulan or Craftsman, although I'd spend a little more and go with Echo.

I know it's a disaster but it would be an even bigger disaster if you got hurt doing this. Downed trees can be tough in that there can be alot of things under pressure. Making a cut can release that pressure quite suddenly, causing branches and the tree to move with alot of force.

If you have to do anything, clear away only that which you absolutely need to and leave the rest until you gan get someone to come in.

Good luck. I wish I were nearby that I could help.

• anlsalvage_aol_com
    14 years ago

For what it is worth, Dolmar is worth serious consideration. The name is not well represented in the US despite the fact that Dolmar is the world's original manufacturer of gasoline-powered chainsaws (Stihl patented the "Cutoff Chain Saw for Electric Power")(Dolmar became Dolmar-Sachs and I believe is now owned by Makita). I had an older Poulan 351 that was built like a tank. Based upon that experience, and wanting to buy a USA-made saw, I purchased a newer Poulan Pro PP4620 with that stupid tool-less chain tightening setup. It only uses one stud on the bar, it never could keep the bar tight and shortly broke the bar tension lug (plus it comes with an ultra-low-kickback chain that is gutless). Disgusted with this purchase, I spent some time on arboristsite.com, learned about Dolmar and bought a 16" Dolmar PS420 (42cc). The saw is my new go-to saw for most everything. It is well-built with a great power-to-weight ratio (10.56lbs/2.9bhp). Only for really big stuff do I pull out the 24" Stihl 044 (70.7cc). Dolmar does not seem to differentiate between pro/homeowner models like Stihl and others. My Dolmar PS420 is as well constructed as the Stihl 044, a pro-series saw.

• woodsmower
    13 years ago

Really think it all depends on what you're going to be doing specifically with the chainsaw. Just cutting firewood? Good link attached with some up-to-date info on chainsaws.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Chainsaws

• ladylake
    13 years ago

I'll never figure out why people lump all Stihl chainsaws together when there is night and day difference between thier low end models and thier pro models. Thier low end and mid range models are'nt worth owning any more, quality gets worse every year. Nothing wrong with thier pro saws except for the price. This it's a Stihl craze will be ending after more and more people get burnt with thier lower end equipment. Steve

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Stil 345 XP or 346 XP Stil MS-361 or MS-362 Best Pro Line Middle Weights being Manufacturered . If you will being cutting 18"-20" Maple you will never look back in the 60 cc Class . I personally love the New MS-260 Pro Decompression and Adjustible Oiler Feature in a 50 cc All Metal Saw . Pricing for either saw certainly has gone up in the last decade .

• ladylake
    13 years ago

Right now one of the best buys is the Echo cs600p on Ebay for just a little over $400 that will cut with a Stihl MS361 all day and the quailty is every bit as good. You need to know how to tune a saw if not buying from a dealer and even a lot of dealers don't tune them right. Most new saws come set way to lean now days. Steve

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Steve: I agree the Echo Line is very Competitive as is the Solo Product Line . The Only downside is local Dealer Support . If you handy this is not a big deal . Most Homeowners with a little guidance can repair & maintain wear and tear issues. I have found that both Husky and Stil have much more coverage when it comes to convenient dealerships. I guess it really comes down to preference and pricing .

• ladylake
    13 years ago

If I ever find a good dealer I'll let you know, seems all they want is a lot of money for a bad repair job. Steve

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Have to agree Steve , getting Quality Work without being Gouged is few and far between apparently on either side of the Border .

• smokey362
    13 years ago

Without tearing this thing completely apart and not knowing how to put it back together...where in the world is the AIR FILTER?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Roflmbo , take the top cover apart . Filter is located upstream & attached to the Carb Smokey !

• ladylake
    13 years ago

Speaking of dealers, I was out fishing yeaterday, came back to the landing and there was a brand new pontoon with a 50 hp Merc that wouldn't start. The delivery man that was driving a dealer truck just kept cranking and cranking on it untill I was sure either he'd burn up the starter or the battery would go dead. In asked if he had primed it with the squeeze primer, yes he had but it didn't feel right, so then asked if it was on in the right direction, the new owner looked at it and it was on backwards pumping fuel from the engine to the tank. I loaned them a screw driver, they turned it around and the motor took right off. More good dealer work that I've come to expect. Steve

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Steve , Roflmbo don't mind me I'am still cleaning the Coffee Spew off the Monitor lol . Must of been a one of those University Type Grad's ! Wonder if he charged him for a new Starter and Solenoid :) .

• loki424_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have been using chainsaws for many years, but am not a pro. I currently run Stihl 029, 026 PRO and MS 361 saws. None of them like to start cold, and i am always having fuel lines replaced. The saws have good durability but are not reliable. Even with three saws i can have one in the shop, one waiting for a part, and the third won't start today! I use them enough that the fuel is always fresh and purchased from high volume stations. Problem got worse when they added ethanol to the gas. I fell and buck about 10-12 cords of firewood a year for heat and maple syrup, in addition to wood cut to maintain a growing sugarbush and clean up after ice storms. I am also clearing some for fields and pasture and sell some logs to mills. Any pros out there with suggestions?

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Lok: Yeah the 361 is very lean on starting . I re-jetted mine . As for the Older Stihl Models and Ethanol Fuel , get some Star*tron from Walmart . I was advised of it for consideration from a fellow forum member and it has worked very well within my Daughters Snowblower which is ethanol fueled . I also bought some for my Diesel and have found increased fuel savings . If all is fine with Compression and the Ignition Modules a simple fuel circuit cleaning should solve your issues with the older saws .

• jplpmn_juno_com
    12 years ago

If you are replacing fuel lines all the time, I would recommend that you use only non-oxygenated gas. It has no ethanol. I was taught to use the non-oxygenated fuel in everything (Chainsaw, weedwacker, lawnmowers, tiller, boat) I would not buy anything else. The fuel is usually sold for off road vehicles, so you may have to look around. We have several around especially near the big lakes.

• ladylake
    12 years ago

Husky and Stihl both make good pro saws but cheap home owner saws, Efco, Echo, Dolmar all make better saws for about the same price. Steve

• jimberry
    10 years ago

I have had a husqvarna 357xp for six years now and it has never let me down. Super fast and easy to maintain. No arguments about stihl versus husqvarna they are both excellent chainsaws.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

I bought an 18" husqvarna a month ago, it wouldn't start, no spark. I took it back and they couldn't get it to fire either. They gave me another, same problem.

I returned it and bought an 18" Stihl from another place. I bought a small 14" Echo also for smaller jobs. They both start on the first or second pull.

I might have saved some money on the Stihl if I had bought the same size Echo. That little thing is just as fast at cutting as the Stihl.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

'Best tool for the money' that is a dangerous phrase.

A gift certificate to a good store sounds wise. If he is not familiar with different sizes and models have someone go with him.

His age and condition may be factors to consider as well. And if he does not have CHAINSAW safety equipment, tell him to buy that first. I only bought chain saw chaps, helmut and gloves after 'visiting' the hospital.

If he is torn between two sizes of saws, probably go with the smaller one.

• Brolado
    9 years ago

Recently bought an Echo CS 310 with 14" bar. What a great little saw. The home center sells Huskys, Poulans, Stihls and Echos. They reported very few problems with the Echo compared with the others. Not even close, he said. And with a standard homeowner 5-year warantee!! Had to pay extra for extended warrantees with others (if offered) Easy choice for me.

• Adam678
    9 years ago

I saw the Best Chainsaws online. They provided the genuine Chainsaw Reviews.

You can also visit this website to saw the reviews http://allchainsawreviews.com

• Steven Jackson
    8 years ago

I bought a good chainsaw by reading guides on this site:

http://chainsawguides.com/

• josko021
    8 years ago

FWIW, when my 25-year old Craftsman chainsaw died (due to ethanol-related carb. issues). I gave them t he benefit of a doubt and bought another one (made by Poulanc). This one lived for a whole 30 mins before seizing and loosing compression. Took it back to Sears and they told me I'd 'abused' it and wouldn't do anything about the warranty. The salesman did admit new ones 'are nothing like the old ones'.