Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed flamer

Posted by rhlee none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 18:20

I currently use a hoe to clear weeds in my garden. However this is very labour intensive, given how quickly the weeds grow back.

I'm thinking of getting a Red Dragon weed flamer. What I would like to know is how quickly do the weeds grow back?

Would I have to do regular flamings for the first few weeks? And then after that I could I get away with doing it every fortnight?

I've attached a picture of my garden. It doesn't show very well, but most of the beds are covered with weeds.

The Red Dragon weed flamer comes in two models: the green 100,000btu one and the red 500,000btu one. On the one hand, I don't want something underpowered where it would take me too long to do the whole garden. But on the other hand I need the flame to be controlled enough so I don't singe the plants that I planted. That and the 10lb/hr fuel consumption for the bigger model is slightly worrying as I will be using 15kg cylinders.

Which model should I get for a garden like mine?

Thanks,

Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed flamer

• Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 23:55

Ya gotta remember the flame doesn't care what it burns. My wife uses Preen in her flower beds and it seems to help. A couple of inches of mulch works well and what weeds come up thru it are weak and easy to pull.
Mike

o
RE: Weed flamer

I've had one like this for a few years. I've been happy enough for when you are burning the weeds. The tool is a brute and as noted above be careful. It seems more effective when you are burning near hard surfaces, but the weeds come back. When likely depends on the weeds and your environment. A layer of cardboard covered w/ mulch does work well to suppress weeds if that is the goal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Torch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here