Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Brand new Generac generator and it won't start

baymee
11 years ago

Customer dropped off a brand new generator. Just put in fresh gas and it won't run on anything but "Choke".

First thing was to check for water in the bowl. No.

Removed the carb. Took it apart and checked all the jets for dirt. None found.

Even though it's under warranty, we are going to take a direct hit from Hurricane Sandy tomorrow, so forget about replacing it. There are none and the electric might be out for several days or more.

Checked the plug. Sooted. Expected that because it only runs on choke position.

As soon as you try to open the choke, even slightly, it stalls.

Does not respond to carb cleaner in the throttle, at all. Usually if the jets are blocked, it will at least have some response to carb cleaner. No response at all.

Has compression. Can feel the resistance at TDC.

I don't suspect the carb, but what else would cause this?

I think it's a Chonda engine.

Comments (18)

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Does say Predator on engine with honda type carb. most need main jet open screw brake off easy so lube up before try turn out. Gen sets to run fast if can hold to idle see if run off idle jet after warms up you increase speed some without choke. This running may loosen up main jet passage. But betting on main jet not set right.

• baymee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had the main jet out. It's not blocked.

• andyma_gw
    11 years ago

Gee whiz, I was gonna start cussing out old Tecumseh carbs after struggling most of the day with the one on my gen-set. If somebody like you is in the weeds over a carb then all I can suggest is an intake leak. Maybe a cracked manifold? Off timing? Good luck, my friend .

• emice
    11 years ago

I purchased a brand new Generac GP5500 from Grainger yesterday and it ran great for for 20 minutes while powering a fridge. After a few hours I moved it to where the power comes in and connected the ground wire terminal to a its own grounding rod outside the house. When I pulled to start it there was a loud pop and some smoke from near the intake. Initially I thought the ignition blew out but a spark tester showed that that the voltage in the spark wire can jump quite a gap. After driving around for a bit w/ the generator I was able to start it again but shut it off within 30 seconds instead of letting it run. It wouldn't restart. After carrying the generator up a slope and ensuring a full tank it started again but it was shut off again within about 30 seconds, even though I probably should have let it run. Again, it wouldn't restart.

Is it possible the plug is fouled already? I see a relay or some kind of saftey switch connected to the on/off knob but doubt that us it because the spark tester showed a spark. I have yet to remove the plug but will try that as soon as I get the right wrench tomorrow. Any suggestions? Did you find any resolution to your issue yet baymee?

Generators are tough to get here after the hurricane and the sales are final given the special situation. Repair shops, even authorized repair centers are too swamped to take a look. On top of that the town and power company are also too overwhelmed to get to the big mess in our little neighborhood, so it'll be at least a week before we get power. I've read GardenWeb a great deal in the past for appliance advice and the community has been very helpful, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Baymee find cause it was low oil level switch unplug wire see how runs first fill with oil see if run set level place in cold weather oil run back down slower this give switch signal needs oil. fill to top if plug on side oil pan put all oil can get in there.

• baymee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Reposted from the lawnmower forum:

It turned out that tomplum's thought on the low oil shut-off module was right. Unplugged the wire and both run perfectly. Faulty module.

• emice
    11 years ago

Found the problem. The popping sound I heard was not electrical but the engine detonating/backfiring. That blew apart the flimsy plastic part in the choke and sent it and a metal plate into the air filter. Once I choked the opening manually with my hand it fired right up. I'd be extra careful!when moving the choke back and forth by hand, seeing how flimsy it is.

• ChelmsfordMA
    11 years ago

My solution: if generator is brand new, make sure it is on level ground. Pick up one end of the unit and shake it around. Worked for me after about an hour of checking gas, oil, spark plug, air filter, etc. etc. I guess I might have had an air bubble or some issue with the fuel.

Once I did that the engine coughed a little and started up. Been running great for over an hour.

• baymee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After 4 days without power, my brother-in-law was able to get a new generator. Imagine his anger when it wouldn't start. It is now the third Generac with a bad low-oil module. 3250 Watts.

• jim109
    11 years ago

where is wire for low oil module? my nieghbor bought generac ay lowes ran it one day next ran then just stopped running ,oil & gas good.cant find sparkplug to check for spark.

• baymee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You'll see the single wire coming out of the block, probably near the oil-fill plug. It's probably the only wire you'll see coming directly out of the sensor, screwed into the block.

• disappointed1234
    11 years ago

I bought an 8kw Generac home generator that runs on natural gas. I had it wired into the house and plumbed into the gasline. It was certified,registered and started by the local company that sold it to me the morning before we got hit with Hurricane Sandy. I thought "what timing". Later that night the power went out,15 seconds later the Generac generator kicked on and we had the needed power. SIX HOURS LATER THE BRAND NEW GENERAC GENERATOR BURNED A HOLE IN A PISTON AND STOPPED! The generac customer service people could care less. My little coleman generator powered the fridge and the sump pump for three days straight and that little coleman generator is 10 years old! Iam told a new motor is coming for the Generac but have yet to see it. Whey spend the 3k when 300.00 will be more reliable.

• baymee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, what a stroke of bad. I was just looking at Consumer Reports because I want to get a Honda generator. I was really surprized when Generac was rated #1 and Honda was down around #3 in the same class.

$600 compared to $2000 in price. I wonder how much that article can be trusted.

• njguy07754
    11 years ago

I've owned several generators:
    Coleman Pro-Gen 5000
    Honda EU2000
    Honda EU3000
    Makita G2800R
    Multiquip GA 3.6HA
    Robin RGV2800 (currently own)
    Honda EU3000 Handi (currently own)

I would NOT touch Generac with a 10-ft pole! My brother bought one from Home Cheapo and it was leaking oil from the block on day 3. Honda has the better reputation but I am very impressed with the Robin/Subaru product. Arguably a better value than the Hondas. Any opinions or comments?

• baymee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After I read the story in Consumer Reports, I saw my buddy at the Honda dealership. They handle Honda generators and since they are a Briggs dealer, they also can sell Generac.

I commented that I might get a Generac because it was so highly rated and much less expensive. How often do I use a generator?? Maybe a day per year???

He told me a story about Generac and how repair parts are almost impossible to get. One guy dropped his brand new unit off the truck and broke the back cover of the generator. It took 5 months to get the part. He said that any Honda part is available overnight.

Just some food for thought.

• bogey123
    11 years ago

My parents power in CT was out for almost 2 weeks thanks to Sandy, they have a 20,000 KW Generac unit, air cooled that runs on propane. It ran the whole time non stop without a hitch.

We were without power for 11 days here in NJ, and we have a 22,000 KW Generac unit on order, should be installed in December. Apparently the larger units are easier to get a hold of. The unit we ordered has a 4 cyl car engine in it and can run the whole house including heat / air conditioning, all appliances etc. I am not going without power again, 11 days was a major hassle.

• startlight66
    6 years ago

Have you found the failure reason? If not, I am willing to help you out. Usually, reasons for the diesel generator fails are as follows:

1. Battery failure

The single most frequent service call for generator failure is related to battery failure.

2. Low coolant levels

The most obvious cause for a low coolant level is either an external or internal leak. Pay close attention to any visible puddles of coolant during weekly inspections of the unit(s).

3. Low coolant temp alarms

Low coolant temp alarms are mainly the result of faulty block heaters.

4. Oil, fuel, or coolant leaks

5. Air in the fuel system

This is a common problem with newer generators that are not run on a regular basis.

6. Ran out of fuel

Mechanical fuel level gauges may not always be accurate.

7. Breaker trip

If a breaker trips after the automatic transfer switch (ATS), the generator will not start.

8. Fuel Line Obstruction

Solution: Check whether the pipeline is smooth or not.

9. Fuel Injector Problem – Little fuel injection or fuel injection is not atomized

Solution: Remove the fuel injector, connect it to the high pressure oil pump, pry the fuel injection pump plunger spring and observe the spray condition. If necessary, wash the injection pump.

10. Valve leakage

Solution: Check the valve clearance, valve spring, as well as the sealing of the valve guide and seat. If the seal is not good, you should make a repair.

Hope it is useful for you.

To know more reasons, here is a article will be helpful.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz