Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pull Start Tool

Posted by brankif none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 19:29

I made this tool to help me start my equipment when I was in recovery from surgery. It can start anything.
Cut and paste the links below into your browser for a look.

It can be driven from a battery drill :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSCwpNJRGyw

Put it on a camera tri-pod and my 14-year old can use it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq6Q6ZFqdAc

Or it could possible be powered from a standard 18V chainsaw :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET3wUuR4UmQ

Is it worth trying to make it into a product ?
Comments welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pull Start Tool

It may make it as a medical device under the new health care law, but I don't think it has universal appeal.

I have a JD lawn tractor, a leaf blower, a string trimmer, and a mower, All start with one or two pulls on the string.

Per the manufacturer's instructions both the leaf blower and the string are to be pulled three time at full choke and then started on the next pull at half choke. Can your device do be used per the manufacturer's instructions?

o

Thanks for the feedback. The device as shown allows a good strong fast pull - for people who maybe aren't just strong enough - Or the engines are aged and are that little bit harder to start.

o

Pretty cool! I would buy one!

You better hurry up and get a patent!

Ronco might be watching u-tube!

o

Thanks for that. I have submitted the design for patent. However I'm trying to figure out if there would be real interest in the tool.

This post was edited by brankif on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 13:20

o

The Foot Pedal Starter For Rope-Start Mowers info at the link below was interesting but not the added 10 lbs (or a video that I noticed). A Kick-Back from bad timing could be a bad experience. Unless a spring is involve for the shock as I had planned in the 70s before the liability stopped me. The Batt starter start and AC start seems to be an option on many mowers Etc now.

http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=305

o

My Murray Easy Spin Mower, Echo SMR210 Trimmer and Weed Eater Blower ended my complaints about hard or excessive pulls to start. My “Old” Poulan S25 Chainsaws are different due to no primer bulb. You pull to prime vs pushing a primer bulb which adds 2-3 pulls. I have learned if my best equipment does not start or pop 1st to 2nd pull it’s usually a maintenance issue (bad untreated fuel, fouled plug, bad air filter and Etc. The Bottom Line is that I have found lack of maintenance is possibly the hard start problem on newer Medium Grade Equipment. Such as, I can start the maintained/tuned equipment with either arm/hand with slower pulls vs all at one point needed the right arm/hand with a swift pull.

Good Maintenance will be needed with Electrical or Mechanical Starts. Good Luck!

o

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I will have a look at that link you sent above.

o

Looks cool but expensive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here