Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicd3

Converting a Horse.

vicd3
12 years ago

Can a 70's model troybilt horse with a standard transmission be converted to a PTO model?

Comments (14)

• mla2ofus
    12 years ago

Maybe someone else knows for sure, but I doubt it. The tine shaft housing attaches to the transmission housing differently.
    Mike

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

I have a 1981 (the year before PTO). The shaft runs from the drive pulley to tine worm drive. I don't think the gear box on mine would even mate up to a PTO.

I would like a PTO also, but I don't see it happening.

Larry

• vicd3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you think if I changed the transmission. I'm just not sure what else is involved or if they are entirely different. I may have to do work or replace the transmission on the horse but If possible i would like to put a pto tranny on it instead of the original one.
    Thanks, Vic

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

If I had an old PTO horse that had a good tranny and a shot engine I would just switch engines. Some of the guts might work, maybe all of them. For me it is not worth the trouble. AT the moment mine slings dirt like crazy and I will leave it like it is.

I have no Idea how many parts are interchangeable. If you had a parts list you could check the numbers and see if they match. I have seen info on the web but don't remember where.

I hope if you tackle this project you will let the rest of us know what is involved. I bet we all would like a PTO Horse.

Larry

• baymee
    12 years ago

The PTO horse has an unboltable rear end, so other attachments could be bolted up.

So, I would say NO.

Mine is PTO, but I never took it off. Other than safety reasons, I don't know of anything special about it that would make me convert to it.

• mla2ofus
    12 years ago

Mine is a PTO also,but unless you have the attachments it's of no use other than you can take it loose to work on the tine end.
    Mike

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

My complaint is that the tines turn all the time. I would like the option of disengaging the tines. I have a Poulan Pro that is not near the tiller that the Horse is but it is much easier to use because I can shift the tines in and out of gear.

Larry

• mla2ofus
    12 years ago

When not tilling, just transporting, drop the depth control all the way down and just let it slide on it.
    Mike

• baymee
    12 years ago

It would be easier to fabricate a skid plate to attach to the depth control, like mla2 says, than to replace the whole rear end.

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

I do OK on transporting. Its tilling in tight places that causes me problems with the horse. I often back into a tight place and till my way out. But this most often happens after the garden has been tilled and I have good size plants. The Poulan and the Mantis does the toy work, the horse does the MAN'S work.

Larry

• mla2ofus
    12 years ago

It's all history now, but it makes me wonder why troybilt didn't put in a sprag clutch on the tine drive shaft so when it was turning backwards while in reverse there'd be no power to the tines. Of course when some poor soul wrapped 50' of wire, garden hose, etc around the tines shafts the sprag wouldn't be much apprecited,LOL!!
    Mike

• baymee
    12 years ago

I seriously doubt that anybody goes through the trouble of unswitching the PTO when they back into a corner. I've never done it, for sure.

I relaxed alot of the tension in the spring that you use when backing, so I can stand to the side and with very light pressure, back it up.

• mla2ofus
    12 years ago

I don't switch mine off either, Baymee. I figure my Mantis is just right for those tight jobs. The only time the horse is in the garden is tilling in fall leaves and getting it ready for spring planting.
    Mike

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

I only use my Horse for the tough stuff. The finish work is always by hand or with one of the smaller tillers.
    Larry