Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Drill press thoughts?

tomplum
10 years ago

So now that I'm all grown up now, it is time to buy my own drill press. My brother gave me a bench top B&D years ago and I finally broke the table off it. It was light duty and though it is an occasional use thing- I'd like something more HD and one I can set to a slower RPM. I'll probably turn to the list first and see what's there for sale but if anyone has a recommendation of make or features I could use someone's more knowledgeable thoughts. Thanks.

Comments (20)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

The one thing that I occasionally run into is the throat of the drill press in not deep enough to accept the drill bit and the piece I am drilling. On mine it is at a maximum about 12". If you try to drill a 2X4, across with a bit of any lenght. you have to be creative to use the drill press.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

My vote would be for a good bench top model if you have a good bench or can make a good stand. I could not or would not afford a drill press until 1980. 10 yrs after my work started at home due to the access at work. Then I went with a cheaper Guardian Power, 5-Speed, H/D vs brand names or USA quality names. We purchased the Drill Press at work as a backup to some USA brand machines. After 5 yrs it was as good as new and worked just as hard. I knew from that experience it should last many years at home with less use. ItâÂÂs running good today and has only thrown a breaker a few timed from using bits above ýâ - 1â w/o any broken or damaged parts (working with 90% steel).

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Tom : Purchased a nice 15 inch Porter- Cable Floor Model last fall at Lowes . Includes an integral work light laser sighting and 15 speeds. Check it out . I think I paid $350.00 Very well made for precision drilling and boring within wood or metals. Has just over 18 inch throat . P.S.
    Forgot to include 1 HP Motor .

This post was edited by ewalk on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 23:09

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool so far. I've seen bunches of presses on the list that look just like the B&D. Heck, some guy has one locally for $45, but I'm sure it is still too fast. I'll see how slow the PC goes.

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Tom: 300 to just over 3000 RPM . The Model is PC660 DP nice unit for the price , more or less a Commercial grade Unit .

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Ewalk, That was a deal compared to what I would have paid for a brand name in 1980.

Tom, Just as important is a good Drill Press Vise. My brand name Walked Off. I only have One Friend that I would let walk with tools but he lost it moving. I found a 20.00 replacement at Home Depot that possibly would have taken care of my needs. With a Lifetime Warranty if I could read the small print. You have to wonder what you can get for 20.00. I took it back after not using it in 5 months. LOL. IâÂÂll hold out until mine walks back (a brand that I could drop) or I find that vise or better for 2.50 at an estate sale âÂÂNewâ (as another friend did).

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the vice is nice. Have one. I need a larger table than what I have. I have to say that the spec on the Lowes PC looks ok. I think ideally, I'd like to hit around 150. Either way, this one has a much slower low than what I have.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone have experience w/ this company's tools?

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just bought the Ewalk Industries press from Lowes!

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Good Purchase! I just toyed with my Drill PressâÂÂs Challenge w/o a good mounted vise.

1. I promised a Yardman to cut and drill 4â X 3/16 -" üâ approx 14 âÂÂwide with mild steel 4â band welded above the angle to tag 4 bolts for good strength.

2. Drilling the tow ballâÂÂs hole came to mind but I feel it will extend over to the post and IâÂÂll C-Clamp it. âÂÂMy Philosophyâ is that the sock being drilled must extend to the pole or be Clamped (or it might get away and get you bad in a blink).

3. This will be my 1st Lincoln 1/8â 6011 job vs 50 yrs of 6013. Appearance w/n count. Please Recommend a starting amperage.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

6011 will feel different to you than the 6013. It does penetrate somewhat deeper than the 6013. Best advice would be to initially roll back amperage 10% or so of what you think you would use w/ 6013 in the grip. 6013 is a good GP rod as it fills imperfections and looks nice w/ that half rusted , not prepped steel we seem to find the need to repair, I've always considered myself a farmer welder. I can make a good weld, not ever worry about breakage- but much of the time IE doing deck repair w/ mixed thickness metals and 1/2 way prepped - it doesn't always look pretty! I bought a MIG a couple of years back, and it is just a different horse than an old arc welder. It is nicer for most deck repairs though.
    So I take you are welding up a hitch and then bolting it up? Clean 3/16" - 1/4" plate will be great to practice with.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Do you feel there will be a noticeable difference between Lincoln and Hobart 1/8â 6013 performance/appearance? For the 2-3.00 per 5 lbs the Lincoln might be my best option. I have not needed a rod in my applications that penetrated and appeared as the Hobart 6011. For my minimal repairs I hate to grind the ripples but with the Hobart 6011 I c/n get a better appearance on a second bead for appearance vs wasted rod. The Lincoln Fleetweld 1/8â 6013 spoiled me.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I buy Lincoln rods just simply as that is what is available to me where I shop. 6011 rods are good rods to keep around for the stronger weld jobs. Like you indicate, they don't puddle the same- set quicker than the 13s. If you have a big project that requires a tough weld, get a box of 7018s. They don't store well just to have around. It is easy to see that I am not a perfectionist when it comes to welding. I did a lot more when I was young. Now I'm diluted between the mig and arc and have to put my thinking cap on. Have a nice helmet, the older mig I picked up a couple years ago, a Lincoln plasma cutter that can barely make 3/8 plate blow away and an old arc that I can't drop below ~ 70 amps as the cooling fan hits the carrier or something inside. That old arc welder some guy gave me for a song w/ many extras including long runs of cable. I got it after my Thunderbolt died after years of abuse. Isn't welding fun? !

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Tom: Let us know how you make out with the New PC Drill Press.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far so good. I had to adjust 1 laser -which it looked like the screw s on the side were grinched by the assembler for some reason. It went back in w/ little difficulty and I doubt Ill need to touch it again so... At this point I've used it once to drill and and ream. The 5/8 chuck allowed me to lock in a spindle shaft so I could grind down the center to accept a pulley slick enough. That is part of the grain mill motorization project I may have eluded to before in an email. the press is a nice piece of equipment, though I would like it better if I could get a slower RPM from it. Maybe I could use a router speed control?

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Great to hear your getting your Grain Mill Project underway . Yeah the slower RPM would be an asset .
    P.S. Just got back from Hunt Camp Monday night . We were fortunate enough to fill both our Doe and Buck Tags.
    Will be cutting and wrapping this weekend. Well have Whitefish Trip in two weeks , just love this time of year !

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice Ewalk!

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I swear that every drill press I see comes from the same factory! Was at HF and general design anyway looked similar to the PC press, which had similarities to the old one my brother gave me (which was also a Delta made unit. ) Lowes was 300$, HF was 360$ on sale...

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Heck Tom that's an xtra $60.00 for Malt for the Grain Mill mix and Beverage Production later lol.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New use: Makes an OK paint drying rack when temps are a touch cool. I welded some brackets onna old Deere STX spindle to use in my above project rather than spacing down some pillow blocks. Painted it up, hung it from the handle , turned the lamp on and walked away .... Looks like beer:30 to me!