Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcmoser

Green machine! See batteries in future!

rcmoser
10 years ago

In the not so distance future Battery Power will over take Gas burners on Powered lawn equipment.... Just maybe propane will be around utilizing the littler green bottles, but IMO not cost effective until you are able to refill the small green bottles off 20 pound bottle or bigger so you don't have to buy the bottle every time or get credit of returning empty bottles may work. IMO this is not bad thing just some of us elthal smelling old farts will resist the change IMO with nothing to do but plug in.

Batteries have become more powerful, lighter, last longer, and of course more costly to replace. Some will say more of fire hazard also. Even riding mowers will go to battery power, the big push will start this year.

Comments (4)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

Remember the same chemistry that powered the batteries in the Baker Electrics and The Detroit Electric autos and in the early 1900's is being adapted to today's Volt.

Thomas Edison developed the first Nickel battery in 1901. In over 100 years they have been only able to improve on the Edison rechargeable by changing the anode and cathodes. but what ever combination they use they are working with one electron per ion. The battery is limited by the size of the ion.

The Navy has been working on batteries to use in the fossil fuel /electric system since the first submarine in the late 1800's. They changed to Nuclear subs to increase ranges and efficiencies.

Point is I would not hold my breath waiting for a break through in batteries that will change the world.

I doubt if Electric system will ever completely replace the gasoline engine. Based on prediction in the mid 1900's there are no AM radio stations today. In fact there are no radio as TV killed radio, per the predictions.

• the_0utsider
    10 years ago

For now rcmoser, dream on. With current tech, the only way the world will move to electricity is if the gov bans gasoline. NiCad, and Lithium batteries are maxed out and the material goes bad with each recharge. Not to mention the making of batteries is GREAT for the environment.
    For some apps, it would be great being quiet etc. But for others, who wants to drive a Corvette that goes Wiiiiiizz and not WAAHHHHH when u floor it??

• rcmoser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seen this on tv couple weeks ago. Not dream for me rather than nightmare. I am fine with burning the midnight oil! Supposable they found the big break through and the manufactures are going to make the push 2014(probably EPA pushing to the edge of the cliff). IMO I think with all the executive orders bypassing congress I think two strokes will be done for next year and gasoline models not too far behind. Wait till NASCAR goes battery power! won't that be fun!! Better leave drag racing alone. noth'en like pop of nitro firing off each cylinder!

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

Our current government with not a practice bone in their bodies, and even less knowledge of the basics of chemistry and physics may try a dumb move like that. but.......

They have wasted billions on a all electric car, in the last five years. How many do you see on the road today.

If you want an environmentally friendly mower or car, we should be looking to nuclear energy. If we had not spent the money on adapting 1000's of years old gear technology to the gas automobile and instead spent the money on improving nuclear power, we would have environmentally friendly nuclear power cars, trucks, and power plants.

Before all those "environmentalist" start evangelizing, remember that 50 years ago the average car got about 18mpg, (Yes there were auto transmission getting less than that.). Today the only basic difference is that cars today have 4, 5, and 6 speed transmissions. 50 years ago the top gear was about 1:1 ratios. Today the top gear ratios are 1.4 and greater. The other path was reducing the size and weight, which is just about reached the limit.