Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjbathome

old Montgomery Ward tiller

cjbathome
18 years ago

I have been given an old Montgomery Ward tiller Model No. GIL 1580J with a Briggs & Stratton engine Model No. 130202 Type 1672-02 Code 82120107. It has sat out in the weather for X number of years and needs some work. Does anyone have a source for a manual for the tiller and/or the engine? I am looking for the gas/oil mix ratio and the grease type for the gear/transmission box in particular.

Thank you in advance

cjbathome

Comments (42)

• javert
    18 years ago

cj, I doubt that it has a 2-cycle engine. Check and see if it doesn't have a crankcase for oil - if it does, then DO NOT mix oil in the gasoline. Most old Briggs engines use just plain 30 wt oil, typically about 16 - 18 oz. My father-in-law has a manual, so I'll try to remember to check if it says what to use in the gear box. By the way, the tiller was made by Gilson - check the yellow pages for a Gilson repair shop. I found one in Fort Worth last year, and they even had a parts listing for my F-I-L's old Monkey Wards/Gilson tiller!

• Greg Goyeneche
    18 years ago

A Briggs 130202 is a 5hp engine. Uses regular gas and holds about 20oz of oil. You can look up both manual and illustrated parts list on Briggs' website at http://www.briggsandstratton.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs and Stratton

• Fisher
    18 years ago

Lawnboy dealers should be able to order parts for you as well.
    Fish

• javert
    18 years ago

cj, there are several pages missing from the owners manual that I have access to, including the one with specs for gear box lubricant. If you don't get an answer from somebody else, I'd suggest a 140 wt fluid - But don't do it on my say-so. Maybe Fish will drop back by and answer that one.

• joe9215
    18 years ago

I have the complete manual, if you would pay for the copy, and the mailing. I would be happy to send a copy of the manual to you.
    Joe9215

• jrshippy
    18 years ago

Good morning,
    I too am in need of a manual and parts for a Montgomery Ward tiller. Model number GIL 39012A.
    Thank for any help.

• rhonda_2006
    17 years ago

My boyfriend just acquired an old montgomery ward rear tine, and having problems getting it to go in the reverse gear. Any quick tips would greatly help. (If he knew I was doing this..)

• flyguy
    17 years ago

Rhonda
    If the tiller has the rear belt drives, there could be a couple things worng. The belt maybe the wrong size or old and streched. The linkage could be out of adjustment. Make sure that the reverse belt has a twist like a "figure 8" in it so that it causes the drive pulley to go in the opposite direction.
    Dale

• ig3845
    17 years ago

Hi joe9212,

I am new, and read your message about old mont.ward tiller and I too have it since early 80's bought it brand new and only used among 12 bro. sis., yards when needed. when I retired I have been enjoying my gardenning and yard work the sudden the gear got stuck could not move. When I took the pin from the long rod, the gear pole fell into the gear housing. I took it to the small engine mech. was told just follow the manual and it easy and cheaper to do it my self since I have all the time rather paying him higher labor cost. So let me know your precedure about your manual and hope it will help to learn more about this tiller. Your help is much appreciated and await for your respons.

Thanks lot,

• tetonka
    17 years ago

I to have inherited a Wards 5hp tiller and in need to know the size and type of belts for it. Also a manual would be useful,.
    Thanks for help

• outwestdoodles
    17 years ago

Hi, just got a montgomery ward tiller GIL39032D and I need a manual if you know of wher I can get one email me at outwestdoodles@yahoo.com Thanks, Virgil

• misko
    17 years ago

if you find the belt sizes for a gilson1580j let me know.

• tim728
    17 years ago

I HAVE AN OLD MONTGOMERY WARD TILLER MODEL GIL 1588A THAT LEAKS TERRIBLY FROM THE GEAR BOX. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THEY USED FOR A SEAL IN THIS TILLER? WHEN I TOOK IT APART THERE IS NO SEAL OR ANYTHING. IF SOMEONE HAD A MANUAL THEY COULD LOOK THIS PART UP THAT WOULD BE GREAT.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.
    TIM

• chi.town
    16 years ago

I just purchased a Montgomery Wards tiller for $20, and wanted to get alittle information about it. The Model # Is (GIL39000A) and the Serial # Is (9038F1391) if anyone could help me it would be greatly appriciated, i would like to also get a manual if anyone knows of a place i might find one for this perticular model.

ThankYou

• galaxiedriver
    16 years ago

Please allow me to jump into this thread. I also have an old MW tiller, model number TMO 39096A. It has been a real work horse but this morning the 12.5 cu in, 5 hp Briggs & Stratton blew the head gasket. I have the tiller manual but unfortunately it has little info about the engine. Can anyone help with the engine model number? I can't find it on the engine anywhere.

Thanks
    Paul
    www.62ford.com/registry

• welder5797_comcast_net
    15 years ago

heres what most of you are looking for oldrustytiller.com montgum. and gilson manuals all pdf and free also if you can help me out with a manual or belt size for a montgumery ward gil39000a tiller cultavator any imfo would help

Here is a link that might be useful: http://rustytiller.com/manual.html

• sallywinddancer
    15 years ago

Please help...
    Montgomery Ward rear tine self-propelled roto tiller.
    MOD #: GIL 39032B
    SER #: 1077C1 569
    It's a 5hp (horse power) motor, Briggs & Stratton I believe, and 206cc (Cubic Centimeters).
    I'm looking for the reverse belt routing.

• gksitek
    14 years ago

need help for front tiller mont,ward 5hp 12.5 c i runs but need parts allso operators manual and maintenance gary

• gksitek
    14 years ago

looking for manual or operators manual for old front tiller with 5hp 12.5 c i motor runs but need some parts gary

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

Look above your messages to "WELDER5797" who has a URL for Rustytiller. It's a Gilson and Montgomery Ward collector's site.

Or try the URL below and then go to "TECHNICAL" for the manuals:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustytiller

• hook1
    13 years ago

have been given old 8hp tiller runs poorly acts like it wants to die no oil in xhaust air cleaner is oil soaked

• mslelo
    13 years ago

Someone could help me_ Thanks.
    I have an old Montgomery Ward tiller, model #GIL-39007A with a BS 5 hp engine.I have both manuals for the motor and tiller.
    The frame broke under the arm link.I put it apart and had it repaired. The problem is that now when I put everything in its place the link that connects to the iddler arm seems short by about 2 or 3 inches...- What am I doing wrong? Someone could send me advice or even pictures of a similar model? I like to get another but like to keep this one. Thanks a lot.mslelo

• Popeye_sailor
    13 years ago

I have a Montgomery Ward tiller, model #GIL-39007A with a BS 5 hp engine. I don't have the manual though and would like it. Even if you don't have the manual if you could just tell me the model number of the engine it would be great (mine is worn off).

• amhausmann_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have an old Montgomery Ward Tiller, Model GIL 1578 B, and would like a copy of the manual or pages from the manual showing how to replace the drive belt. Thanks

• james_thompson2_verizon_net
    13 years ago

Need a copy of the manual for Model GIL 1545C or just the size of the reverse belt. My tiller didn't come with one. I had another Wards tiller years ago and I remember how to install the belt; just need to get the right one. Thanks

• sargesam57
    13 years ago

Mongomery Ward Tiller model G1L 1531A =====I need to know if anyone has one of these for parts. I need the yoke that goes to the clutch. Mind is worn so far that the tines will not rotate under a load.
    Where I can order a new one?

• pfmott_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

I have an old MW tiller with 5 Hp BS motor with belts at rear. I need the size and routing for both belts.
    Thanks

• keeta_2_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We have an Montgomery Ward Tiller, in good condition. 8 Horse model TMO39103A L212B. when put in reverse will not back up, & need a manual. Can you help. Thank you

• rjohnsto
    12 years ago

I just dug an old M. W tiller out of a shed. 3.5HP but the tiller is large and rear tined. B&S 80902 engine and it needs a carb. Any help?
    thx

• u8one22
    12 years ago

I have a m.w. 1590 j I need the size and routing for both belts. it runs great but let dumb #@*& brother borrow it and he FIXED IT for me. Now i need to put belts on and cant remember how they went A picture would be nice if anyone can send me one

• mm123
    12 years ago

Help.... I have an old GIL 1580 J Montgomery Wards Power Kraft gear driven power reverse tiller, any Information on this unit would be greatly appreicated. serial number is: 2347B2 169 ... it is missing the Reverser belt. seems to run just fine, judging by the engine I am guessing it is a 5 hp. Front tine rear wheels. pictures of belt setups can be sent to my email. mmcalif@aol.com. thanks.

• lkloster
    10 years ago

Have an old MW Tiller. TMO 39023A A124C is model and Serial# Need a sprocket but unable to find. Any help would be appreciated.

• jgabriel1954
    8 years ago

i too have a gil-39032e Montgomery wards tiller I am looking for owners manual please email me at jgabriel1954@carolina.rr.com if you know where to find one thank you

• william heilker
    4 years ago

I have acquired an old MW tiller model TMO39014C B190B. This number must be lost to history because it doe's not seem to compute. It is a large beastie with an 8hp motor. I wonder if anyone knows where to get parts. I can get parts for the engine, but no info on the unit. Thanks. Bill.

• HU-808223396
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My BIL has a Montgomery Ward (Gilson) Rototiller Model GIL 1593C with a 4hp B&G motor. We can't find the model # on the motor and need a coil and tun-up kit. Do you have them. A motor parts list would be appreciated also.

ronaldgbrill@gmail.com

• upup_and_away
    3 years ago

HU - Is yours like this:

https://photouploads.com/image/EURt

If it is, let me know and ill post the coil i used.

• Greg Goyeneche
    3 years ago

HU-808223396

Your engine is probably and older 100000 series. You have three possible approaches:

1) If yours is an older engine (roughly pre-1970) you may have a three-leg coil attached to the block with four bolts. The replacement coil is 297594, and the flywheel has two square magnets 297348. The Ignition kit is 299061 and includes points, condenser, pushrod, and flywheel key.

2) If later, you would have a two-leg coil attached with two bolts. Replacement coil is 298316, and flywheel will have a single rectangular magnet 297229. Ignition kit is the same 299061.

3) if you have the later 2-leg coil, you can convert to electronic ignition.

3A) Easiest way is to replace 2-leg coil with electronic version 697037 (or 394398 or 397358). Also available from aftermarket suppliers. No need to remove flywheel to remove points and condenser. Simply cut wires going under the flywheel.

3B) Briggs also made a kit to modify your coil with an electronic module 394970. No longer made by Briggs, but commonly available on Ebay and aftermarket suppliers. A little more work to install, and your coil must be known good. Originally kit was less expensive from Briggs than new OEM electronic coil, but now aftermarket coil is often cheaper than kit.

4) If you have the older three-leg (four-bolt) coil, you are stuck with replacing in kind and replacing points and condenser. The electronic coils and electronic kit will not work with three-leg coils and the two-magnet flywheels

• HU-920808835
    3 years ago

Where can I buy a drive gear box for a Montgomery ward power craft rototiller GIL39032D

• HU-794555531
    3 years ago

I need a parts manual for a Montgomery Wards tiller GIL 1580J. Having a hard time finding anything as most of the posted links are invalid. Thank you in advance.

• Vincnet B
    3 years ago

Hi, I'm in the same boat. Mine is so old it was repainted and I could only tell what it was by looking at google images. I am not sure what the model is but it sure looks like what you are looking for. If you ever find a manual, could you please let me know. The rear bearing went on mine and took the seal with it. I need to access parts listing or anything. Thanks

• Vincnet B
    3 years ago

HU-794555531, I was able to find hits for Gilson parts on the Lawn Boy website. Maybe, local service reps will have access to parts lists??? I still have to confirm my model # so it is a long shot.