Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl 015av chainsaw

Posted by ogRob none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 20:46

I was given this saw a few years ago and it hasn't run for 3-5 years. I broke it down, cleaned everything and re-assambled. I installed a new pull cord, fuel filter and spark plug. I cleaned the points as I wasn't getting any spark. I have plenty of spark now.

With a small shot of starter fluid it started and runs like a new saw. Only problem is I have no throttle control. I have to use the choke to keep the rpm's down or it runs full open.

I may have mistakingly left something out on the re-assembly. Maybe something on the carb?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl 015av chainsaw

I tried to find a diagram that shows linkage from carb to throttle. That might show the need. Most of all, is there a linkage on the saw that open and close the carb’s plate (as you press or let off the finger’s throttle)? If not, Please add a close Picture showing Carb to throttle linkage. The linkage could be binding if not in the correct position. Otherwise Good Work!

o

Loger,
Thanks for the reply. I had planned to take some pics last night but when I went to pull the saw out of the carry case I was surprised to see the bottom of the carry case had a pool of fuel and the saw was sitting in that pool.

As soon as I can I'll clean up the saw, take the pics and post them here.

Not sure if the two issues are connected (fuel leak & no throttle control).

Thanks,
Rob

o

My experiences have been pools of oil due to the spilt oil tanks or oil ports at the bar leaking. On our 3 old Poulan S25 saws, the oil and fuel tanks were split and no plastic on the 70s models. The fuel tanks never leaked vs the oil tanks needing gaskets.

I feel once you clean the spill and saw, the leak should show the problem as a bad fuel line, line to tank not a tight seal, Etc. I hope it’s not a split tank. My leaking oil tank gaskets were more trouble to replace than they were worth. With luck one was replaced within the 1 yr warranty. Afterwards re-torquing screws helped, cleaning and adding silicone where needed worked or emptying oil tank worked. If it had been a leaking fuel tank I w/n still own the saws. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here