Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda GC160 Engine

Posted by spain (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 21:12

I had the carb replaced about 1 year ago, now its doing the same thing. At first it wouldnt start at all, I cleaned the carb, then it started would speed up and die. I then took the carb off and cleaned the jets, now it starts with the choke in the closed position only, at high speed it sputters and dies, but will I run it at med speed it runs but will die with tiller has a load, also when you put the choke to open it always dies. I dumped all the gas, and checked the fuel is flowing thru the strainer which it is. Do you think that its the fuel pump? or the strainer doesnt supply enough gas due to restrictive flow? Help please, I soaked the carb over night.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda GC160 Engine

Sp: You certainly have a fuel restriction . If you can blow through the fuel filter you can rule that out . Having soaked the carb in concentrated fuel cleaner is a start. Next you will have to thoroughly clean the fuel circuits . Removal of the Hi & Low Speed Jets and either inserting a tag wire or blowing (compressed air) will ensure all varnish or gum has been removed. Another final spray of carb cleaner prior to jet replacement will also help dislodge any residual debris. Add some carb cleaner within the fresh fuel and restart the mower and let it run until it will idle and full throttle response is restored . In the future ensure to use a fuel stabilizer and fuel cleaner upon seasonal storage and start up . You should not require fuel pump replacement .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here