Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eurolarva

Homelite Leaf Blower

eurolarva
18 years ago

I have a homelite UTO8110 leaf blower that will not run with choke closed. It will run at about 3/4 power at half choke then when I close choke it will go to full power for about 10 seconds then slow down and die. I put a carb kit in the Walbro WT471 carb and have found do difference. Any Ideas where to look next?

Comments (33)

• oneoldurn
    18 years ago

Most engines, especially if hot, will not run with the choke closed. Did you mean to say 'with the choke open'?

• eurolarva
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I did mean open all the way. Will only run at half choke and when completely open it will die after about 10 seconds.

• hlw49
    18 years ago

Did you replace the inlet screen in the carb. Later Butch

• eurolarva
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I replaced the inlet screen and also cleaned carb out with carb cleaner and a wire in the high speed jet and followed up with compressed air before I installed the carb kit. I noticed the gasket between the motor and the carb is in pretty bad shape. I have one on order. Could this be the problem or is it wishful thinking? I dont see any way to remove the jet for cleaning. My guess is either the carb is restricting the gas flow or there is an air leak somewhere.

• genesii
    18 years ago

Don't know about this particular saw, but (go to the Homelite web site) and mail them, I was having a problem and it ended up being a recall. I generally check the recall list on everything I have a problem with, more often than (3 out of 3 this year), it has been fixed for free.

I usually just type my model number into Google-with Homelite, I had to ask them a direct question before I a received a recall answer.

Go to the Homelite web site, there is a customer service area where you can mail direct questions. My problem was different, but the model was UTxxx.

• edsacre
    18 years ago

I had a Homelite blower that the intake manifold under the carb vibrated loose & was sucking air . This would make a lean condition that the choke might compensate for. Mine got real loose & was easy to spot when I went looking for the problem.
    I couldn't keep the bolts tight even with lock-tite & lock washers & the bolts eventually broke. I now have an Echo that is still in one piece.

• stihltech
    18 years ago

Either the carburetor, block behind it, or the cylinder are loose. Common Homelite problem.

• ray_okla
    18 years ago

Has the filter in the tank been checked?

• billw
    17 years ago

Have you replaced your fuel lines? they often get pin holes with age.
    Bill Walcott

• jez33_aol_com
    17 years ago

hi.
    i have a homelite leaf blower and almost from the 1st day i brought it it needs a little choke to keep running. it got worse latly and just wouldt reach full revs no matter where i put the choke..i put new gaskits on the exhaust and carb and blackplate but it still runs needing the choke..i tried the air screws to which has only slightly improoved it..any one know what else i should do ??

• computeruser
    17 years ago

jez uk:

I would get ready to replace your blower. It has an air leak somewhere and sooner or later running lean will burn it up. Have you looked at the piston lately? Any money it is scored already.

Next time around, do yourself a huge favor and don't buy a crap blower.

• caseyj
    17 years ago

I have had this problem many times and it always works to remove the muffler. Clean it out with a sovent and then reinstall with a new gasket. Air leaks seem to happen here quite readily. I purchaed a gasket sheet and just make my own from the original. Saves running for parts. Good luck.

• mowerking
    17 years ago

THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE AND BUY A STIHL!

• jez_z3
    17 years ago

hi all who replied above..

i will check the piston n bore to see if its scored up...
    i buy gaskit paper to and do the same thing and copy the old gaskit..
    im definatly with you on getting a stihl . i already have a stihl strimmer and the quality is simply perfect in every manor...its funny as i normaly can get even the mc'coluk engines running fine (and they are the most crude small engine.lol ) but this homelite is prooving a head ache...

• jim109ny
    17 years ago

I had same problem with my homelite blower. The fuel line coming out of the tank was leaking air .Check while running move it back & forth to see if there are air bubbles coming from it. let us know if you find anything. Jim

• fordguy
    16 years ago

I have a 20+ yr old Homelite HB100, that suffered from an air leak in the crankcase area a few yrs ago and tightening 4 screws took care of it. I recently replaced fuel cap due to vent/baffle insert falling out, however w/in 90D, it started blowing fuel out of baffle and running lean. Cap looked perfect, but when tipping unit forward (engine off)it did leak fuel. Dlr gave me a new cap @n/c and it runs great and no fuel leaks. I am mentioning this, as if cap doesn't seal properly, it may cause a leaning out condition (would only run w/choke partially on.
    Given the years of service, I'm extremely happy w/my old blower, however understand that today's version probably won't last this long. I attribute most of longevity to using nothing but Lawn Boy oil, fresh fuel, and regular air filter maintenance.

• obosse
    16 years ago

my homelite leaf blower with a walbro wt471 carb. wont suck gas to prime. I have rwbuilt the carb, blew it out with comprested air, changed small filter. but no gas! help.

• rmh3481
    16 years ago

I have one of these blowers. Every year around this time the thing konks out. What happens is it gets harder and harder to start. Furthermore look on the floor where it sits and see if you have any dark spots under it. I get some unburned oil from the fuel mix running down the sides of the castings. As soon as I see this, I know whats up. My problem is the crankcase bolts loosen from vibration. As time goes on the gasket pulls away from the casting and the engine starts to draw air. You will need a Torx 25 driver to retighten the bolts. You also may need a set of gaskets which can be made or bought from Homelite.
    Take care,
    Bob.

• rcmoser
    16 years ago

Sometimes the fuel line colaspes where it goes into the plastic tank. Might try replacing the fuel lines if you haven't already and making sure you connected them right at the carb.

Last thing IMO could be your primer button has a small crack alowing it to alittle air and therefore won't pull the gas up. You can check you primer buttom by removing it wetting you hand and squeezing the bulb and sticking it to your hand if it sticks (suction tight) then it probably good. If it falls off or slowly goes back to it orginal shape it probably got a small crack.

• billw
    16 years ago

If the primer bulb is getting dark, prepare to replace it as it will soon get brittle & crack.
    Checking the 4 screws holding the cylinder on, replacing the incoming fuel line, removing the screen of the spark arrestor are some of the maintenance items that can cure your problem.

Have you noticed that STIHL dealers have a much larger shop space than the showroom? What do you suppose they repair?

Sorry about the rant, but not convinced about the perfection
    that some attribute to Stihl.

• renl1
    16 years ago

Hello, I have a Homelite hb180 that starts easily but,cuts off when the throttle lever is moved to a faster setting.It also leaks gas while running from the air filter casing. Any help out there?

• renl1
    16 years ago

Hello, I have a Homelite hb180 that starts easily but,cuts off when the throttle lever is moved to a faster setting.It also leaks gas while running from the air filter casing. Any help out there?

• masiman
    16 years ago

It sounds like there are alot of things going on.

I am guessing that when you throttle the blower, you get very little acceleration if it does not cut out? I would then guess that since you are not getting the acceleration the fuel being pumped in is not being used and is splattering out the carburetor soaking the air filter and dripping.

I'd check that the air filter is clean and not blocked. That could prevent enough air getting to the cylinder to help combustion. I'd also check that you exhaust is clear (muffler/ spark arrestor). The carburetor may also need to be adjusted.

Hopefully others with better engine knowledge can get you going.

If you need to take it in, it likely will not be worth looking at. Probably cost more to fix than a new one of similar quality.

• kitehaus
    15 years ago

My homelite blower is streaming fuel throught the carb and into the filter area the spark plug looks like I dipped it in fuel what is causing the fuel to keep streaming like that. I prime it like it says to and start it like it says now I have it apart and it is drying out. any thoughts

• bert_lavoie_pw_utc_com
    13 years ago

I cannot start it anymore. Sometimes it kicks a little but won't start. I checked the fuel line and replaced the gas filter. I removed the small carburator and blew some cleaner. I replaced the plug. It seems to have spark ok.
    What else can I do?

• danasplants
    13 years ago

My blower the primer bulb just pumps air If I put gas in carb shes off and running. Took carb off it blows through seems fine any suggestions thanks ...Dana

• Rmarsh1039_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a 20 year old Homelite HB-100 leaf blower and need a replacement primer bulb. Any suggestions??

• billw
    13 years ago

Ray Marshall
    check the name on the carb. Walbro or ZAMA?
    I have the bulbs in stock
    Bill
    785-562-3539

• Ray74
    13 years ago

bill. my plate has two screws. The bulb diameter is 3/4 inch, as is the hole in the plate. Height is 5/8 inch. Please quote me a price, Thanks

• Ray74
    13 years ago

Bill. My email address is RMARSH1039@AOL.COM

RAY

• Rmarsh1039_aol_com
    13 years ago

THANKS MUCH EDIE,THIS ONE FITS PERFECTLY

• robsonbryan
    9 years ago

Either the carburetor, block behind it, or the cylinder are loose. a. I had to buy a new Husqvarna 350BT after my 15 year old one died. This one has a larger engine than my old one but this one does everything all the reviews said. My first time using it was after a rain storm and the leaves had no chance. Verry Happy

• rdaystrom
    9 years ago

You do realize that question was posted in 2005 ?