Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rototiller pullstart won't pull

Posted by saffron_parasol none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 1:21

it's a year old rear tine Yard Machines.
Kohler engine. Was fine 'til I turned it on it's right side for about 5 minutes to remove vines from tines. I noticed it was leaking oil/gas from the carburator after I turned it back upright. I tried to pull the rope to start it, it wouldn't pull at all, like it was locked up. I took the plug out and cleaned it, and put it back. It was the same. I took the plug out and pulled, it would turn over. The plug, however, was ever so slightly cross threaded. Put it back in and it locked up again. I checked the oil and gas levels and re-filled both. I waited a few days and tried again. Nothing changed. What could be wrong? Thanks for ANY help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rototiller pullstart won't pull

Well when you turned it over filled the combustion chamber with oil IMO. Also the gas may have leaked in also or it just ran out the cap or muffler. You need to drain the oil (make sure no gas in it) Fill it back up just below full mark but in the XXXXX on the dip stick or close to the top of the fill plug. Next you need to remove the spark plug, clean it. Spray carb. cleaner down the spark plug hole and pull the rope outside and with the ignition off. This will wash all the oil out of the comb chamber and blow it out the spark plug hole and the muffler. Now install the spark plug and start it up. It will smoke for awhile beings you still may have oil residue in the muffler. let it run for about 5 mins to warm it up and burn all the oil residue out. then recheck the oil level and your done.

o
RE: another thing

if you going to turn if over drain the gas and oil. that way it won't hydro lock on you as you are experiencing now.

o
RE: rototiller pullstart won't pull

thanks, I'll try that, then I'll post what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here