Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samwright_gw

Looking for a cheap garden shed

SamWright
11 years ago

Hello there, I am looking for a garden shed and I am considering this site http://www.cheapsheds.com.au/ as their sheds look wonderful for storage. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (9)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Several of the big garden centers here in W. PA. have sheds built by the Amish, for sale. They look nice, and are pleasing to the eye.
    Also, you could buy a cheaper one, but if you live in snow country, be careful when deciding what to buy, as you have to figure snow-load, wind, and other factors.
    Another thing about a shed, whether you build or buy: Whatever you decide to buy, or build, enlarge the plans to twice the size, or even more! Funny thing about a shed or a garage, as soon as you put one thing in it----it will shrink in size, and all of the cash spent on building or buying it, will seem wasted! This has happened to lots of people, including me! Fore-sight is much better than hind-sight!
    Been there--done that! Rusty J.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    11 years ago

If $$ are part of your decision making process, you might look at metal sheds. Sears has them and probably Lowe's, etc. does also. The $ per sq.ft. can't be beat provided you're not looking for something huge. They are a PITA to put together and the area you use for assembly had better be LEVEL. When I lived in Jersey, I knew I'd only be there a couple of years so put up one of those, ten years later (:-) ) it was still OK.

The advantage to these is you can put them up yourself if you've got another pair of hands to help.

Also, to echo what Rusty said, however big you start out with it's too small!!! I have a 24 x 32 barn and it's bulging with "wonderful things."

Good luck,

Ev

• SamWright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rusty J! That was a great tip. Yeah I agree. It is much better to have a big storage shed so that I won't have any problems in the future as we accumulate more things and not just tools in each year. I really want to buy as it is much easier (I think) than building. Thanks again!

• SamWright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Exmar. I am living in Australia so I might get one of those sheds from cheap sheds as they offer delivery and installation. I guess I have to choose metal sheds as they are durable. However, I am still hesitant when it comes to rust. Haven't you encountered rust problem with your metal shed? What did you do then?

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Sam, let me answer the last question! Do as we do here in the USA! Either paint it before ya put it up, or paint it afterwards, will help. Don't paint it and it'll last 6-8 years or so. Might last longer. If yer lucky! RJ

• SamWright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rusty. That's interesting as I have the chance to choose my own color that will match with the design of my house.

• rcclark999
    11 years ago

Since you live in Australia, I'm not too sure a metal shed will be the best thing to go with. I am going to assume you want it to last quite some time. I have several of these metal sheds and wish I had built my own.

I have had them for some time now and they all have signs of rust and a whole lot of dents from branches falling on them. They are great for a quick storage solution, but I would recommend building one yourself for a much better finished product.

There is a site I found that goes into detail about various sheds and provides answers to some of your questions. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden sheds

• PRO
    Jamaica Cottage Shop Inc
    8 years ago

There are so many ways to deal with picking a new shed - diy shed plans, shed kits, or fully assembled. Hope you found the right one to fit your needs. :) Kim

• krnuttle
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Before you decide what shed to buy decide what you want in the shed, and how you plan to use the shed. I had a previous 8X10 shed and found it was crowded with my lawn tractor, trim mower, and trailer. My new shed is 10 X 12, and I find it is serving my purpose well. It stores the main three items mentioned above. It provides a small work bench for doing the occasional work on the Leaf Blower, String Trimmer, Step ladder, and and such. I have room for a shelf unit for storing oil, addition string for the trimmer, the chain saw, grease gun, and other small parts. I have a wall rack to store various implements of destruction, shovels, rakes, hoes, matlocks, and brooms.

The shed has a hip roof and is 7' on at the eaves, with a loft at both ends. I am ashamed to say it but I have found the shelved I planned to put in the lofts so far have not been needed.

For me this gives me all of the space I need to work on the lawn and equipment used on the lawn. For the yearly service of tractor, mower and other power equipment, I put every thing in the trailer and do the work in the garage.

Question you should ask

Will there be thing you want to hang on the walls. A wooden shed will be easier to hang thing in that a steel shed. Do you want the shed to sit on the ground or a cement pad. (I opt to have mine on blocks, so there was good circulation under it and free access to predators to keep animals from nesting under it.) If you opt of wood make sure you paint every thing lofts, floors etc.

So once you decide what you want then you can decide on the size of the shed.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm