Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who makes Ryobi Gas Chain Saws???

Posted by groundhogva z6 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 13, 08 at 5:49

I'm looking for a chain saw for delimbing and spotted a Ryobi at a good price. I know I should look at the better brands, but, I don't know much about Ryobi gas. If it is made by the same maker as the current Homelite or Poulan, then forget it. I would not buy them. Does anyone have any experiences with this saw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who makes Ryobi Gas Chain Saws???

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 13, 08 at 15:42

You get what you pay for. Ryobi is only found at the box stores and many service dealers will not touch them because the parts supply is not good.Also, even a simple tune up often comes too close to the price of a new unit.

o

Ryobi is an MTD product. It's considered a homeowner's tool. Components are low end, with most tools, if used regularly seem to have a short life. Not my first choice.......or second................or third

o

Save yourself the hassle and buy a decent tree/trim saw (not a bow saw). You can get them for under $20 and they are fairly quick and far less hassle. I have a few chainsaws but my trim saw is awfully useful.

As others said or hinted at, stay away from the Ryobi chainsaws. If you think you really need one but know that you won't use it that much, consider an electric. They are not very good, but you will have far fewer long term engine problems.

o

Thank you guys. Just as I feared. I will stay clear of this saw and consider a Husky, Stihl, or an Echo.

o

Husky and Ryobi are Home Depot house brands. Masterlink is Menards, good brand IMO, and Kobalt is Lowes.

o

The Ryobi model 10532 has a Redxax engine, the same saw as a Redmax GZ400 engine is made in Japan saw is assembled in China. Reports are they cut good after a muffler mod and tuning the carb and a better bar and chain. Reconditioned ones can be bought for around $95 shipped on Amazon. Steve

o

Just got done mmuffler modding and retuning mine and a good bar and chain. Timed cuts went from 10 seconds to 5 seconds on the same log. Steve

o

You can spend $150 to get a cheap saw that you'll be replacing in a year or two, or $350 to buy a Stihl or Echo (I have the Stihl Farmhand 18" -- $400) that will be running well for your grandchildren. Your choice!

o

actualy the ry 10532 is manufactured by either echo or husky,look in your owners manual,actualy for the money the saw isnt as bad as they have been saying,bought one at home depot along with a poulon wild thing one yr,the poulon completely wore out the first yr,yhe ry is still runing verry strong,you need to adjust the carb and the oiler,other than that,its been through 4 bars,100 or more chains 1 sprocket,and it runs like it were new,i cut scrub cedar and pinon,oak,its not a bad saw as long as you have some common sense,i also have a 455 husky and i would rather cut with the ryobi,dont abuse it and it will do what you want

o

I own both a Ryobi 10532 and a Redmax G400, they are identical saws. The engine is built in japan and the rest of the saw is made in china, good engine on these saws. Steve

o

So glad to have found this forum. Great info. I have a Ryobi 10532 chainsaw. It dies after 10-20 minutes of hard use. Choking helps restart it for one more cut, or I just let it cool down. Where can I get info on the aforementioned "[muffler mod and carb tuneup]"? So glad to have the parts list for the identical Redmax GZ400, and to see it has 2 piston rings -- I read elsewhere that a single-ring design in a Craftsman caused rapid destruction of the ring and cylinder wall. Its loss-of-compression-on-warmup symptoms matched those of mine.

o

Slant6ix: Check your compression . I would think it is perhaps marginal cold and perhaps less so once warm , blowby would show on plug colouration as dark oily plug electrode condition. You are corect that most cheaper saws have single ring configuration although older saws had single ring but were chrome plated for extended wear .

Jerry: normally 4 chains to a bar and 2 bars to a sprocket replacement ratio . Unless the bar and chain has been pinched , then perhaps a increase in chains due to binding and also premature sprocket wear. I don't think I have gone through 100 chains in 10 different saws in 40 + yrs of cutting .

Note: As Steve has indicated the Redmax is a fair engine but would not put in the effort of porting or polishing or even muffler mod on such a small saw . But thats just me .

o

Opening up the muff makes a huge difference on that saw, make sure to pull the limiter caps and adjust properly. Most are set lean and could be causing your saw to shut down after 15 minutes as they run hot when set lean. One or 2 rings really doesn't matter, there a lot of pro saws, high performance snowmobiles with 1 ring. The Redmax engine in the 10532 has good quality with the rest of the saw being knda cheap. Steve

o

S6 : As Steve has advised proper muffler mod will improve overall saw performance , however quite often it also requires minor to moderate Intake Porting for the best overall performance. Once exhaust back pressure has been reduced the saw will breath better but optimum performance may require rejetting or intake port polishing to allow increased fuel intake rate . Not rocket science but something a experienced person only should attempt. Close Plug colouration checks are required to verify engine health once these modifications have been performed. I agree with Steve again on the ring configuration issues that there are more performance (1-ring) vs life cycle on (2-ring) designs. The High Performance single ring design are usually L-Ring chrome plate units used for High Rpm operation. Have installed numerous during my snowmobile racing and motocross days lol . Good Luck Dude !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here