Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add fuel filter to genset

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 6:57

Hi Folks,

Have a Generac 3750 gravity fed genset which doesn't have a fuel filter (Model #005724-0, 208cc). There's a bunch of different filters out there, from the coarse "mesh" filter to the paper type. I believe the paper type has the directional arrow and is typically used if there's a fuel pump involved? I've also seen filters that have brass screens (Wix comes to mind) that can be disassembled for cleaning.

The unit is two years old and is "made in the USA" except for the engine which is a "generic 4 cycle" which translates to a Honda clone made in China. Runs good though. I may have "misspoke" in that there is a very coarse "drop in" mesh across the fill opening to the fuel tank that would keep twigs and leaves out....:-)

I'm guessing the fuel line is 1/4" as most small engines seem to use that size.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add fuel filter to genset

Ev: Most smaller Gen Sets 5hp to 10hp use what you have a simple basket plastic mesh filter within the fuel filler neck . I have also used inline (fuel line) filters for small farm tractors as a secondary filter to prevent smaller debris from fouling the fuel circuits .

o
RE: Add fuel filter to genset

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 17:47

Ewalk, as usual, you're dead on. I've gotten into the bad habit of periodically siphoning (power) gas out of the genset or a small tractor which hasn't been run for a while and using it for whatever I'm currently doing. This allows me to keep "relatively" fresh gas in everything. Even with Stabil or equivalent, I don't trust the mystery fuel we have to buy.

Everything else has an inline fuel filter after the tank except the genset. When I lift the mesh filter, I'm careful, but afraid I may get some crud in the gas and hence into the fuel circuit.

So, I'm looking for a recomendation for an inline filter to put on the genset. I could simply pick up something at TSC and it would be better than nothing, but thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has done this.

Early spring is when we have ice storms and extensive power outages and the genset has to be ready to rock and roll. As a result, when it's time to start mowing, there's 5 gallons of gas sitting in the genset which I don't want to sit there for a year and can use to cut grass, etc. 'guess for the folks in Hurricane areas, the same scenario would be when they go into "winter" and hurricane season is past.

Thanks,

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here