Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smallengineguy

Honda generator no spark!

smallengineguy
16 years ago

Honda EG5000X generator, no spark. It has a low oil shutoff, how do I test this? It can be unplugged, and it also has one wire off of it right to the ignition module that can be unhooked. When I unhook that wire, should it have spark? I don't want to drop $100 on a module without testing these things first!

Comments (25)

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I unhooked the wired to the oil sensor and still have no spark. Do they have to be grounded to run?

• canguy
    16 years ago

No, if it is grounded the engine will not run. Unhook the kill switch, if still no go the ignition coil is dead. What are you using to check spark? A plug held against the block is not the most reliable test.

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Inline neon tester. Thsnks, I guess I'll order the module.

• twostroke_guy
    16 years ago

Not so fast, the only way to be certain is to remove the flywheel housing and disconnect the kill wire from the coil itself. This is the only way to be certain. If you still have a no spark issue remove the spark plug boot and Ohm it. I think it should read about 7 Ohms of resistence. once you have done all of the above, its time to order a new one.

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I unhooked the other end of the coil wire (from the oil shutoff), and it still had no spark. It also has 2 wires coming off the coil module to what looks like a "pickup" on the other side of the flywheel. Do these ever go bad?

• twostroke_guy
    16 years ago

Your ignition coil only has one kill lead running to it. In order to rule out any other cause of a non spark situation, the small lead wire connected to the ignition coil must be disconnected. Disconnecting the wire at the oil alert switch will not rule out a possible ground somewhere else. The other wires running under the flywheel are for a charging system. Hope this helped you.

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, there is a 2 wire plug also going into the coil and it goes over to what looks like a pickup coil that picks up "signal" off the flywheel magnet. It looks like a trigger coil. That is besides the one wire for the coil ground. Didn't know if you had experience with this?

• twostroke_guy
    16 years ago

What model generator? Is this a twin cylinder?

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Single cylinder, Honda generator model EG5000X.

• twostroke_guy
    16 years ago

Ok, you have a pre k unit which is old. The two wire component you have coming off the coil is called a pulser coil. Here are the proper ohm readings for both. With ignition coil removed and disconnected from unit as well as the spark plug boot unscrewed and removed. Ohm the secondary winding which is the pickup furtherest away from the kill lead and two wire connector hook up side to the end of the spark plug wire, ohm reading 3.6 - 4.6 if its over or under a little its still good. Exciter winding which is the pick up closest to the connector wires is next. ohm it to the single spade kill lead ohm reading 230 - 290 Last the pulser coil ohm disconnected between the two leads ohm reading 30 - 36 Good luck!!

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice! Thanks for the info! Just want to make sure, when you say the pickup the furthest away from the kill lead, you mean the 2 prong plug that the pulser plugs into, correct?

• twostroke_guy
    16 years ago

If you are looking at the flywheel with the ignition coil mounted and flywheel mags. in line with the coil. There are two heavy metal pieces that almost touch the flywheel. Those are the pickups. The one furthest away from the spade connectors for the kill lead and the pulser coil is the one you need to ohm with for the first ohm readings.

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I assume you mean the metal bars the screws go through? Both bars are connected (0 ohm). Am I measuring from the bar to the spark plug lead? If so, I'm reading 4K ohms.

• smallengineguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ttt

• fop189metro
    8 years ago

I have a eb3000c generator and I dont know how to get to the coil

• Steffen Moller
    8 years ago

I have a Honda EB 3000c Cycloconverter generator, Starts right up on the first pull, then if I shot it down after it has run for 10 minutes, it wont start back up, no spark ! let it sit for, let it sit for an hour or so, starts right up again, anyone can explain what the problem is ??

• asvelador
    8 years ago

I have an older Honda gen ex1000 which has no spark so odered a ignition coil replaced and adjusted still no spark with the wire coming off the coil that looks like it plugs into kill shut off switch, I believe I have a new defective coil do you agree or do I need to pursue other avenues

• rvlawn
    6 years ago

I have a EB3000c cycloconverter we have all the wires disconnected for the ignition and no spark ,we installed a new one and still no spark any Ideas what to check from here? oil light wire also unhooked

• Gene Pace
    4 years ago

I have no spark condition on a Honda EU3000is. New spark plug, combination switch and oil switch disconnected. 1 ohm at black kill wire to ground & 8k ohms from spark plug wire boot to ground. I am thinking ICM. Any thoughts?

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

I would suspect the coil before the ignition control module which seldom fail !

• Gene Pace
    4 years ago

Any thoughts on how to remove the coil. It is buried in the engine.

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

You have to disassemble the engine cabinet and dive into the internals , just follow the spark plug wire lol.

• Rob Sandera
    3 years ago

I presume you get the EB 3000 C fixed but you may have one or two problems or even both, change the oil also takeoff the cover on the head see if the bell clearances to take I believe Honda runs them at .006 you can go as high as 12 thousands .012 OK They had a valve seat problem not pressed into into the head it wasn't seated so as soon as the motor warms up the sealing on the valve seat drops I screwed with mine for weeks it was starting hard one day I was like that's it I reset the valves and it started on the first

pull

• Rob Sandera
    3 years ago

I got trouble on a Honda 7000 I S oil sender Shut it off now no spark I need to try to bypass it to start it I think somethings just plugged I change the oil in the plug if not the heat got it Freaking hundred degrees sun I haven't even found the sensor yet anybody know how to bypass this one Unit was running beautifully this is the greatest Generator ever built I got it on natural gas