Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda generator no spark!

Posted by smallengineguy z5 NH (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 7:42

Honda EG5000X generator, no spark. It has a low oil shutoff, how do I test this? It can be unplugged, and it also has one wire off of it right to the ignition module that can be unhooked. When I unhook that wire, should it have spark? I don't want to drop $100 on a module without testing these things first!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda generator no spark!

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 9:13

Unhook it and test for spark. If you get spark, you have isolated the problem.
The module seldom fails but the switch in the crankcase does. It will get crudded up with sludge if the oil is not kept clean. This means completely disassembling the unit and is a common occurrence.

o

I unhooked the wired to the oil sensor and still have no spark. Do they have to be grounded to run?

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 23:48

No, if it is grounded the engine will not run. Unhook the kill switch, if still no go the ignition coil is dead. What are you using to check spark? A plug held against the block is not the most reliable test.

o

Inline neon tester. Thsnks, I guess I'll order the module.

o

Not so fast, the only way to be certain is to remove the flywheel housing and disconnect the kill wire from the coil itself. This is the only way to be certain. If you still have a no spark issue remove the spark plug boot and Ohm it. I think it should read about 7 Ohms of resistence. once you have done all of the above, its time to order a new one.

o

I unhooked the other end of the coil wire (from the oil shutoff), and it still had no spark. It also has 2 wires coming off the coil module to what looks like a "pickup" on the other side of the flywheel. Do these ever go bad?

o

Your ignition coil only has one kill lead running to it. In order to rule out any other cause of a non spark situation, the small lead wire connected to the ignition coil must be disconnected. Disconnecting the wire at the oil alert switch will not rule out a possible ground somewhere else. The other wires running under the flywheel are for a charging system. Hope this helped you.

o

Thanks, there is a 2 wire plug also going into the coil and it goes over to what looks like a pickup coil that picks up "signal" off the flywheel magnet. It looks like a trigger coil. That is besides the one wire for the coil ground. Didn't know if you had experience with this?

o

What model generator? Is this a twin cylinder?

o

Single cylinder, Honda generator model EG5000X.

o

Ok, you have a pre k unit which is old. The two wire component you have coming off the coil is called a pulser coil. Here are the proper ohm readings for both. With ignition coil removed and disconnected from unit as well as the spark plug boot unscrewed and removed. Ohm the secondary winding which is the pickup furtherest away from the kill lead and two wire connector hook up side to the end of the spark plug wire, ohm reading 3.6 - 4.6 if its over or under a little its still good. Exciter winding which is the pick up closest to the connector wires is next. ohm it to the single spade kill lead ohm reading 230 - 290 Last the pulser coil ohm disconnected between the two leads ohm reading 30 - 36 Good luck!!

o

Nice! Thanks for the info! Just want to make sure, when you say the pickup the furthest away from the kill lead, you mean the 2 prong plug that the pulser plugs into, correct?

o

If you are looking at the flywheel with the ignition coil mounted and flywheel mags. in line with the coil. There are two heavy metal pieces that almost touch the flywheel. Those are the pickups. The one furthest away from the spade connectors for the kill lead and the pulser coil is the one you need to ohm with for the first ohm readings.

o

I assume you mean the metal bars the screws go through? Both bars are connected (0 ohm). Am I measuring from the bar to the spark plug lead? If so, I'm reading 4K ohms.

o

ttt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here