Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
skil 1610 & 1645 chain saws

Posted by mvron (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 9:50

I've just acquired these two chain saws. Any idea how old - the clue was to "not use unleaded gas". Seems like there is no spark plug. They don't run. Seem to have good compression. Any ideas on what to look for to get them running. They seem like they are very hard to start - pulling on the starter rope is very tough. I've got the user manuals for both of them.
Thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: skil 1610 & 1645 chain saws

The rope on the 1645 mechanism broke - to the recycle. I actually got the 1610 started. Now I have to get some gasoline lead additive-no unleaded for this beauty. 16 - 1 gase-oil ratio - that's really old.

o

mvron: The 36 cc.1610 was introduced in 1977 and the 69 cc was introduced in 1969 . My Uncle had a 1645 Model . It was a rather stout unit made in British Columbia Canada. I would not sweat the Unleaded Fuel since your dealing with a two stroke engine , no valves requiring protection . Just ensure a preimium grade oil . I would run synthetic at 40:1 Ratio. I run 50:1 Amsoil Sabre Syn oil in both my Vintage 1967 Pioneers .

o

Thanks for the tips ewalk. I've got some really good Echo 2 stroke oil that should work. Good idea on the fuel also.
Having second thoughts on scrapping the 1645. Will look into the rope problem further.

o

Echo Oil would be great ! Have fun with the Old Girls :) .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here