Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Recommend A High Temp Stove Sealer

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 10:55

Please Recommend A High Temp Stove Sealer that will not get hard. I have used 3M's Fire Block Sealant FB 136 and Rutland Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement. They work well for one season but gets hard and flakes off due to being hard and expansion (allowing "small amounts" of smoke to seep at a metal to metal joint.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. Loger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Recommend A High Temp Stove Sealer

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 22:04

I'm not exactly sure where your leak is, but it sounds like a flue pipe. If your draft is good, there should be no leaks at any joints. So, I would look at the draft issue first.

o

Yeah like Bay says Loger . Unless you have improper Back Pressure within your Flue (Damper closed effect) you should not have any smoking joints at least not when the flue pipes are up to temp . You should never have any piping restrictions down stream of your Damper . This would include above your ridge strap joint . All sealants I have ever witnessed dry out and leak , thus the reason of proper flue installation and connector straps or bands. I have seen when Selkirk Stainless joints become old some friends and I at our Hunting Camps have inserted Graphonic Rope Packing to work as a gasket effect between the bell and spicket (interlocking) ridge . This product is available at any Industrial or Commercial Pump or Valve Distributor . This product is very pliable does not dry out conforms to irregular surfaces and is good for temps over 1200 F . Check out what Bay & I have advised and then get some 3/16" or 1/4 " Graphonic Packing tamp it down to thickness you wish and insert within the joints and you will be good to go for the life of your stove Bro !

o

I must admit my almost closed damper and modifying my fireplace are my “Real” problems.

1. Related to damper, I keep it almost closed in my 14” ID 16”OD insulated filled pipes (2 X 30” sections) to try and hold more heat.
2. My fireplace was opened to both sides requiring the large pipe. I added a 14 or 16 gauge steel back to one side, stainless grates below and above the fire, a plate on the upper grate 7 X 2” tubes to slow the heat at the tubes.
3. The approx 30 year old project will expand and seep a little where the upper grate is bolted in vs welded (more bolts might help). “Burning hot fires and choking the draft is the real problem”, but sealer yearly (in the few 1/6” buckles) has solved it until it flakes off. I’ll have to open the damper more. Plus, ext air is ducked down into the hearth in front behind glass doors to allow overnight burning.

Would you call it a 30-year-old liability or just open the damper more and keep sealing? I’ll post pics if you are interest in seeing the project. loger

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/JOW_06/fireplace2insert.jpg?t=1290271118

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/JOW_06/fireplace2insert.jpg?t=1290271321

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/JOW_06/fireplacesinsertbacksidesignsofredhotheat.jpg?

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 18:25

It's a bit complicated to solve here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here