Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peco_gw

Ariens SNO-Thro

peco
16 years ago

I bought a Ariens SNO-Thro for $50 it look very rough but starts on 1 pull and runs like a champ. I sofare changed the plug (Champion JI9LM, Oil (Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic) and the Gear Lube (Ariens MP90).I was just wondering if anyone had anymore info on the snow blower. I'm looking for a manual and trying to find out what year its from and also the HP the is (I think 5HP) Here are some pics of it. {{gwi:320395}} {{gwi:320396}} {{gwi:320397}} {{gwi:320398}} {{gwi:320399}}

Comments (29)

• jubol
    16 years ago

Hi,

Go Google search for ARIENS.

When there you can check on parts, manuals, and parts blow ups

• dogsdad
    16 years ago

A machine that starts, gets out and throws snow when you need it is beautiful. Better than a shiny, pristine machine that won't start. For $50, if you even get through this season with it...you got a bargain. Have fun!!

• peco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have Googled Airens 10m5 and only come up with 3 or 4 leads.

• canguy
    16 years ago

The numbers stamped into the blower housing in your second pic, hard to read, will give you the hp. It looks like an HS40, 4 hp, or HS50, 5hp.

• jubol
    16 years ago

Peco,

Go to the Ariens web page!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

• peco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

^^^^There is nothing on there home page about this older blower!!!!!!!

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

i believe this is your manual:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/TIP-67.pdf

• jubol
    16 years ago

GO TO ARIENS WEB PAGE, THEN PARTS RADAR!!

Put in Model number, then Serial number!

That should fix you up!!
    Fred

• newjerseybt
    16 years ago

Looks like late 60s early 70s.

• peco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just did some more resurch and found out I have a 1967-1968 Airens SNO Thro 10M5-006998 (5hp) Tractor but the motor is a Tecumseh 7 Hp Model H70-13027 P6ER 0222D motor. Could someone tell me what year the motor is from?

• peco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK I think I figured it out but correct me if I'm wrong. The last 5 digits should tell me every thing. So 0222d reads out as the first digit 0 was the year (2000) and the next three digits 222 is calender day of the year (August 9th) and the last digit is the line and shift the motor was built at the factory. So the engine was built August 9Th 2000.

• canguy
    15 years ago

From the look of it, the engine is a 1970 (likely) or 1980. The series was long gone before 2000. Thank Nader's Raiders at the EPA.
    If that sucker fires up and shoots snow, it is a keeper. Next summer sand the engine parts down and spray with RV white.

• newjerseybt
    15 years ago

RIP - Fred

• peco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"RIP - Fred" If your talking about the snow blower thats not going to happen. If you notice I fist summit this topic about a year ago. Last winter this thing went through everything from snow to sleet and Ice. I got my $50.00 worth out of it when last winter when we had a total of about 110" of snow. So this summer I cleaned the carb (tore it all apart) and added a fuel filter to it and greased all the moving parts up and she fired up on the first pull.All ready to be the work horse again this winter.

• newjerseybt
    15 years ago

Fred (Jubol) passed away May 1, 2008. A frequent contributor to this and other OPE Snowblower forums.

• sjmgpl_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I have a very similar machine. I was on the internet trying to find some info re the age and came upon this thread. Mine looks very similar (including the rust spots!) except that the choke is a simple metal lever rather than the orange knob. I inherited it from my dad who inherited from his dad. My grandfather passed away in '77, and I know he had it for several years before that. How were you able to find a model year of '67-'68 for yours? Just curious. In any case, it runs like a champ. It spent most of its life in upstate NY where it saw a lot of use, but I now have it in CT. I did not even use it last season, but it fired right up yesterday even though it had not been used in two years and even though it still had two-year old gasoline in it.
    I did find an owners manual (pdf) at the Ariens website.

• quantico
    15 years ago

I have two of those old ariens a 64 that is a 7hp model and a 66 that is a 5 hp model. The carb cover / heater is different on my machines and has a slot cut for a choke lever. Your machine design almost looks older based on the choke. I have one machine working great and the other has carb issues and backfires so I am either looking at having someone that knows more about carbs look at my machine or maybe replace the carb. ( still available for 87 dollars) . The only problems with these machines is that the zerks break off the auger shaft and I can only grease the shafts a bit an a couple areas... that will eventually take the machines away I guess. The machines are available cheap as junk around the milwaukee area... and the snowblower front changes out in about ten minutes with only two large bolts coming out. I have changed over several times when the ping and pinion gear set has failed on these machines. I love these old beasts. and would consider buying a new engine , but have not taken the time to measure the crank output. With tecumseh out of business the HM 5's and 7's will be harder to find although they have not make a direct replacement engine for these machines for quite a while. These were a great design.

• andyma_gw
    15 years ago

Heh heh,I pulled one of these out of a dumpster last winter. I used used it to clear 10" of glop from my driveway last weekend. I'm gonna get a new belt for it and swap the wheels from its big brother which keeps going through auger boxes.

• jammer1
    15 years ago

WoW! this is when they made REAL snowblower's! notice the cast iron gearbox for the auger; notice the all steel discharge chute,Etc. ..........I would laugh like hell too if I found 1 in a dumpster,because I know they would be throwing out something that is better than what could be bought today............

• peco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well had my first problem with the Sno Thro after year and half. The axel bushings wore out. Not a hard fix after I ordered the wrong bushings at first and got the right ones now. I figured since I was monkeying around with it I would change the disc drive. Well that turned out to be a .....experince! The axel bushing where replaced with Ariens Axel Bushings 55039 and the disc drive was Airens Disc Drive 3003. Well now is all well and ready again for the snow. Here are some pics of the Old/New parts. [IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Peco25/Ariens%20SNO-Thro/55039AriensAxelBushings02.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Peco25/Ariens%20SNO-Thro/55039AriensAxelBushings01.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Peco25/Ariens%20SNO-Thro/3003AriensDiskDrive03.jpg[/IMG]

• peco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:320400}}{{gwi:320401}}{{gwi:320402}}

• scottychaos
    15 years ago

Peco,

what you have there is an Ariens 10,000 series Sno-Thro,
    Model 10M5, built in 1968.

I just uplodad, a few days ago, a new webpage all about 1960's and 1970's Ariens Sno-Thros:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/ariens/

Would you mind of I use your photos on my page?
    having a machine documented, with exact model and serial number, and the specific model year known, would be great addition! :) just the thing im looking for..

thanks!
    Scot

Here is a link that might be useful: Ariens 1960's and 1970's Info Site.

• peco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure not a problem Scottychaos, as long as I get some credit for them :) And if you need more just let me know. Nice site by the way!

• jammer1
    15 years ago

Wow,if that is from the late 60's, I'm impressed; If that was a honda,it would have been in the scrapyard 10 yrs. ago LOL.........Bushings look a little worn, LOL,most likely from no lube,axle rusting,and grinding the bronze........

• peco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jammer1 Yes the bushing where just alittle worn.....The axel and auger bushings are known to wear on these machines as I have read. And yes the lack of lube and axel rust premature the wear process.

• jammer1
    15 years ago

Right; the rust does more for wear,than a whole season of hard use.........anything will wear with no lube;until I experience anything myself,I don't always,I'm not trying to be smart; believe anything I read....

• bcmchong_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a 1970 7HP 10,000 series Sno-Thro, I hope you can give me some pointers as I am trying to replace the large disc which the belt rides on. My old one is warped. Do you know if I have to remove the entire flange, "drive plate" in order to do this? I tried to remove the 3 bolts behind the drive coupling but as I was backing those out they would hit part of the flange and I was not able to back them out any further. Any thoughts? Thanks much. My email is bcmchong@hotmail-dot-com and my number is 732.544.0813. Thanks much.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Benny: Check the Site that Scotty provided above . It will give all necessary info required along with proper part numbers .