Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Craftsman snow blower manufacturers?

alisande
13 years ago

I read that Craftsman snow blowers are made by several different manufacturers. Can someone tell me how to ID the manufacturer? I read an older post that mentioned a correlation with model number, but the numbers cited don't correspond to the new models I'm looking at.

I'm hoping to get a good, sturdy machine in the $600-800 range. I know Ariens has received a lot of favorable comment on this forum, and I haven't ruled it out. But I'm on a budget, and one good thing about Craftsman is that Sears has sales.

Thanks for your help!

Susan

Comments (8)

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

The first three digits indicate manufacturer. 917 is MTD, 536 is Murray, etc.

Try link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman Manufacturer Codes

• baymee
    13 years ago

A "good, sturdy machine" in that price range is doubtful. I would try Craigslist for a used high-end Ariens or hold out longer for a higher quality new Ariens.

It also depends upon the amount of use you'll have, which is more of a deciding factor.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Susan: To answer your original question both AYP (American Yard Products) and Murray owned by Snapper Manufacture New Craftsman Blowers. Previously both Husky and MTD provided some Craftsman Products. I currently have a Craftsman Wheeled Blower and Hondas HS 8 HP Tracked Blower , both from a fellow backyard mechanic friend of mine. I previously owned only John Deere Blowers due to their superior design back in the day (Not anymore) lol . Baymee (as usual) points out very relevant points . If you were asking me for advice on Manufacturer , it would be Ariens for a quality blower at a nominal price . If you need High end , then Honda or Yamaha Tracked units would be the way to go , but not nearly in your Budget . If you have to go with Sears Blower ensure to invest in the extended warranty Girly you won't be disappointed and will sleep better. Sears Blowers most likely will suffice your needs . Should their convenience (Dealer Servicing) be your decision maker . Welcome to the Site , let us know what you decide .

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm looking at the various 2-stage Ariens models on the Home Depot website, and it's a little confusing. For example, they have a 24" model for $599, and in the Compact Series they offer a 22" model for $699 and a 24" model for $799. Are we paying extra for compactness?

Then they have 28" model for $699 and a Deluxe Series 28" model for $999. I guess I'll have a find a salesperson who's familiar with all the models and features (not always easy!)

Also, I have one more question. I spoke with a Toro salesman who told me a big advantage of Toro is that they use bolts instead of shear pins. Isn't the purpose of shear pins to avoid major damage if hitting a rock or something? In that case, is it really an advantage to be without them?

Thanks!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Susan the newer Compact Ariens units are quite strong . They have the middle class units which have the new xs Aluminium Gear Box . Ariens has introduced both Subaru and Polar Forced Engines to their lineup from the base B&S Units . Both the Subaru Platinium Series and the Polar Force within their Commercial Lineup are quite impressive Engines . Unfortunately outside your price range indicated . However if you were serious and could extend your pricing you could upgrade to the Subaru within the Compact Series , which would give you the maneuverability advantage and engine durability of the Subaru unit . I would suggest your review further with your Local Arien Dealer . Although I have not used the Subaru Blower Engine , I have serviced both Marine and Gen Sets with Subaru Power Heads , excellent engines .

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Susan : Further to my Previous note , and your question of Compacts and 24 " cutting paths and the Pricing Differential . You have to look at the Specifications closely . Ssome units have Engine Option upgrades and other have Heated Handle Bar warmers and Quartz Head Light Upgrades , along with Electric Start and other important Gear Case Upgrades ..etc. As I said have the Dealer show you the significant differences .

• tmd272
    13 years ago

do not buy one if you haven't already. Sears no longer has service centers and has to be sent to Long Island here to be fixed and could be up to 6 weeks before you get it back. In addition, I have spent over 500 in repairs in the past four years not including warranty work on mine. The belt keeps slipping and has been replace twice a season since we bought it. We have replaced the the pulley cable twice for the auger and drive for the wheels, replaced the muffler twice because it fell off. It is stored in a heated attached shed and is protected and maintained with every use. The repair shop across the street will have 4-5 out front every week...while arien and toro 1-2 a month. I will not be making a 1200 mistake again.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I meant to post an update here just before Christmas, when I bought an Ariens. We got the Deluxe 28" model for $999. It hasn't been used yet, as we don't have a speck of snow on the ground. Very unusual for here!

I'm grateful for the advice I received here. Thanks, all!