Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
door_gw

Tillers

door
17 years ago

I have wanted a troy built for years, was never able to afford it, kids thru college and now I'm retired. I looked and looked, the new ones all appeared to be junk and I was unable to find an old one that wasn't also pretty much the same.

What to do, what to do? I searched the Internet and found an Italian company that still makes a robust tiller.

It was expensive but the BCS is all I hoped it would be.

Got the tiller and brush hog attachments. I have yet to use the brush hog as I have been waiting for cooler weather to keep the bugs and sweat down. The tiller is a dream to operate. It makes a wonderful seed bed as well as cutting up new, grass and tree roots are chopped thru. It can be a handful in heavy rooted ground but when it jumps away the auto shutoff stops it before any damage.

I think I will still use the forward tine tiller for cultivating though, lighter and easily maneuvered.

I am delighted with the performance so far, would I buy another, gee, I hope I don't have to.

Quality is apparent at first glance and after use.

After 35 years in aerospace, I know quality.

http://www.bcsamerica.com/

Comments (13)

• aesanders
    17 years ago

I've got a BCS 830. It is a great tiller. Well actually it is a great two wheel tractor with a tiller attachment. Let me know what you think of the brush mower. I've beenthinking of getting one myself.

• jubol
    17 years ago

Hi,
    They also have a Single stage snow blower for it!!
    Fred

• canguy
    17 years ago

Which tractor did you get? I used a 730 with the 26" tiller and it did a great job of knocking down chinese cabbage hills and smoothing out the garden. Sure was better than getting beat up by an old MTD front tine.

• earthworm
    17 years ago

It is sad, and NOT RIGHT that there is no more real Troy-Buit.
    Is this the by-product of world-wide free trade???
    I have heard many good things about BCS; what will happen in the future as they seem to be the only in the heavy-duty tiller field ??

• aesanders
    17 years ago

If you still want an American made tiller check out Barretto. They are the biggerst baddest tiller on the face of the earth bar none. All Hydraulic power. I like my BCS as it will do way more than just till, but if tilling is your past time then the Barretto is the beast to have.

http://www.barretomfg.com/spectill.html

• earthworm
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link..
    Note that the Barreto uses a Honda engine, 9 hp..
    A man can say , a la Crocodile Dundee, "This is a tiller" !!
    Makes my old Roto-Hoe look like a toy !
    Who has the larger advertising budget ?
    Barreto
    BCS
    MTD
    beer

• brent_gardener
    17 years ago

I have a Troybilt Pony tiller that is almost 25 years old and I am looking for any of the manuals that I can get for it. I have an owners manuel. At one time I thought that I had a manual that illustrated how to replace seals, gears and do just about everything up to a complete overhaul but I have not been able to locate it. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it. Especially if you, at one time, happened to be a serviceman for Troybilt.

• homesteadwest
    17 years ago

Lots of good comments here. There are 3 brands to consider depending on the size needed. 1. Barreto, made in Oregon. There are a lot used in rental (but renting isn't for gardening only). There is more to gardening than breaking ground. Recommend renting before buying to see if you like the performance, weight and handling. 2. BCS, made in Italy. Well built and will last a long time. Has many other attachments for versatility. 3. Grillo, made in Italy. Well built and will last a long time. Has many attachments for versatility. Only 1 model BCS vs. Grillo are "apples to apples". So you have to match your needs to the right product. Both BCS and Grillo are known worldwide for their quality products. Link below has a lot of accurate information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth Tools

• milo2000
    15 years ago

I have a 16 HP Barreto and it is awesome. Quality unlike anything else. Rental companies use them because they don't stop working and very low maintenance. I don't know how you could break this thing without purposely doing it. Will break any ground that can be tilled and pull up big rocks. Try one if you can. Look for a used one from a rental fleet or on Ebay.

• yungman
    15 years ago

Ever look at a Honda mid tine tiller?

• canguy
    14 years ago

The Grillo is very similar to the BCS, apparently some employees defected and started a new company. The Grillo I tried had one major drawback, the pto drives off the transmission output shaft. This means the transmission has to be in a higher gear to get speed out of the attachment. The BCS pto drives off the tranny input shaft so is strictly controlled by engine speed, a much better set up. One Grillo attachment that really shines is the brush hog, it uses a horizontal shaft and flails rather than blades. Cleans right to the soil surface.

• judy1
    14 years ago

My husband recently came across a 7HP Troy roto tiller with a Kohler engine serial # 8043232. On the engine is K161T. Cast # on the tiller housing is stamped TH-1001-01 F2 12/1/76. Does anyone have any information or know where I can get a repair manual for this tiller?

• kompressor
    14 years ago

The engine is no problem.

Go to Kohler.com

Select the engines

Select the Classic engines or if a prompt comes up for "K engines", then click on that.

Millions of K engines were sold over the years. They are no longer sold to manufacturers for use in new outdoor power equipment but Kohler still makes all the parts and even short-block motors. You can download or print out a complete Service Manual or an Owner's Manual for FREE.

The link to Troy-built is below. Contact their customer service for a manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: TB