Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherine_a_gw

Need electric pole saw

catherine_a
16 years ago

I prefer electrical yard equipment, and I need a pole saw for trimming tree branches. I've been researching the well-known brands on the Internet. But I see two problems with all the brands/models that I've found so far: (1) The unit is too heavy for lifting over my head (I'm a 5'2" woman) and (2), invariably, the motor is located at the top of the unit where the chain-saw is, which, I would think, would make one of these gadgets extremely unwieldy (at least for me). Is anyone on this forum aware of an electric pole saw that is both light-weight and not top-heavy? Thank you, one and all, in advance.

Comments (16)

• canguy
    16 years ago

I have yet to see a decent electric pole saw. They are often under powered due to voltage drop in long cords and, as you have noted, top heavy. Do you have a tree service available? That may be more cost effective and will be a lot safer.A falling branch is nothing to fool with.

• turnage (8a TX)
    16 years ago

Have you completely ruled out the manual pole saws like Fiskars?

• masiman
    16 years ago

A good sharp manual pole saw will be much easier and sometimes more efficient than powered. I assume you want a saw and not a pruner. You can buy manual sets that include both saw and pruner heads.

Canguy is right about falling branches.

Some resources:

Pole Saw Recommendation
    Pole Saw Technique

• rcmoser
    16 years ago

I have a elect 10" Remington than will extend to 12'have had for 8 years. there is a light brand I seen somewhere, but frogot the brand I sure you can find them has a small round motor and about a 8" bar. Looks alot lighter.

Mine still cuts and looks like new and I have cut amany of Black Jack oaks limbs with it. The key to any chain driven saw is chain maintenance. Sharpen after every use, checking and adjusting chain tension, and cleaning out the bar oil grooves to keep the chain oiled. Yes is is a bit to handle if you try to cut with the saw too far away from your body. I have a 3500K generator so the cord don't limit my reach from the house.

As long as you take your time plan you approach you should have no problems. But, 4" or 5" diameter limbs above you head can give you a headache or worse an ugly scare. Again keeping the chain sharp can keep you out of trouble. The weight of the saw should slice right through the limb with little problems other than binding when about 3/4th through the limb. Takes awhile to get the hang of it.

I also use a 24" ladder which increases the danger, not recommend for the inexperienced. I did have to replace the chain, sharpen the teeth off the orginal one.

• fusedapart_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I read that add a pole has great pole saws. They are even extend-able. It is the highest reaching and even has a patent.

Here is their site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Extendable Electric Pole Saws

• TheSawGuy
    10 years ago

I also prefer to use electric pole saws. I have found one that is very light weight and well-balanced, it's the Greenworks 40-volt, model # 20672. It has been really easy to use since I had shoulder surgery.

http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/GreenWorks-20672/p11043.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Pole Saws

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

There are very good points here on manual pruning saws vs electric pruning saws. IMO the manual pruning saw is the best for pruning (watch your tree trimmers). Heavy electrical saws are for heavy duty trimming work and experienced trimmers. I learned through some lack of experiences vs body size and strength.

• Nancy Brown
    6 years ago

I recently purchased the Remington 10-Inch 8 Amp Pole saw for my garden
    and I love it. This thing has saved me a lot of grief as pine needles kept
    falling onto our rear deck, the long reach this saw offers, allowed me to cut
    the branches hovering over the deck with ease. Very easy to set up and use.
    Good pole saw and a bit heavy. Did a great job, works perfectly for my
    overgrown yard.

• loger_gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Good Report Nancy!, Can you share a pic of the trimming?

At what height approx are you trimming? The electric with the motor in your hand is
    what I feel would be ideal at greater heights. I see young tree trimmers using them like a dream maybe 8-10’ extended. I like to use my Electric Remington Pole Saw on some jobs on the ground where reach is involved (to work at a distance) There is a version that fits with Troy Bilt 4 Cycle trimmers (combo sets) with not as much reach (maybe 8’) that I am sure are lighter.

Electric is still my best option and the Troy Bilt has the electric Jump Start or pull stare. There is probably a shoulder supported pouch that will help with either. I was
    tempted to make contact almost straight up (managing weight) and take a few
    steps back as I cut (with the motor at the top or bottom… A bit Heave becomes heavy at a point. Trust Me (LOL)!!!

Hopefully someone will share their experiences with the Troy Bilt 4-Cycle with Combo Attachments as how useful and durable they are if you need multiple tools… At a distance I saw my neighbor trim low limbs. I saw a different neighbor use his Blower. I would guess they all will work on their level “If Needed and At A Reasonable Cost Per Item”!!!

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

hi loger, i see alot of those troy bilt combo unit's on craigs list. the few i messed with had the typical fuel issues. i personally would spend a little more $ and purchase a better built machine. i'm not a fan of the little 4 stroke's.

• loger_gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I still enjoy Rebuilding and Donating but this has been the most frustrating time consuming part to find that I broke on a working Troy Bilt 4 cycle trimmer. Please share a source for just the broken adapter with the 2 holes and one turns the crank. I felt I would have found a parts trimmer by now, which is over a year.

I am willing to donate what I have to another Non Profit or Person in need because that is what I’ll do with the trimmer if I find the part. I hate to see it go as Scrap Metal when I know it runs good…

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

if i'm looking at it correctly, is that a broken pc. in the 1st pic? if that's what your talking about, chances of finding that is slim. if you have model # you can check ereplacements and see if it's available. i would wait until spring time when people take their's out of the shed/garage and find out it won't start this year and snatch it up for next to nothing. happy new year!

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

i just checked CL and this is listed for 30.00. seller say's it runs but hard to start, typical, IMO.

• Nancy Brown
    5 years ago

Hi Loger,

Thanks for your reply. I love Remington pole saw. It is perfect for me. I can easily use it. I think no need to you send a picture of trimming.

This thing is much better than the Troy Bilt that made through two short sessions and died. You can tell the quality difference from the get-go. I chopped 4 - 3 inch bush trees that were 7 feet high and then chopped them up.

Remington is a great saw, I didn't realize an electric chainsaw had so much power. All the trees in the yard are getting afraid now that I can trim them quickly and without much damage. It is a little heavy when fully extended but I need the exercise anyway. All in all, I am very much
    satisfied with the pole saw.

More Details about the Remington pole saw go to the link https://powertoolsgudie.com/remington-rm1025sps-chainsaw-pole-saw-combo-review/

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Nice little unit. Remington makes the best economy elect saw on the market . The Big 3 gas saw manufacturers offer quality units also but at a higher price .