Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Stihl BG55 won't start

Posted by higgledy 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 12:19

I just came home with brand new Stihl BG55, but it won't start.

I bought it off the floor. The dealer had several new BG55's on the sales floor. When I bought it, he took it in the back to get it serviced. I never heard it running. But when the sales guy came back out, it had fuel in the tank and in ball. That made me think it was started and running.

I pumped it 5 times, and with the switch on 'I' and trigger squeezed, I pulled the rope about ten times. I did that about three times over fifteen minutes. It acts like it has a bad coil. IDK.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Stihl BG55 won't start

I would take it back to the dealer and have him show you how to get it running.

o

Oh, I plan to bring it back to the dealer. By the manual, I am doing everything correctly. I am really pissed.

o

I hope someone on here can tell you how to adjust it to get it started because I want to learn how myself. I bought a Stihl FS 55 trimmer, if I want to use it on Sat., I need to start cranking it on Fri..

o

Yeah, I'm going to try and get my money back.

o

Did You Put the CHOKE on? I have never been able to start mine cold without the choke completely on even on hot summer day. I have to pump mine 10 times, switch on, trigger lock in full throttle and full choke. takes 3 to 5 pulls for it to start. usually dies before I can put the choke to 1/2 choke from air in the fuel system. I again push primer bulb three more times, full choke. This time I am quick enough to feather the choke till it takes off Full throttle, I click the trigger and hold it to atleast 1/2 throttle till it warms up. It has to warm up before you can completely take it off 1/2 choke. This depends on how warm or cold it it outside? takes 2 to 3 mins before I can completely turn the choke off.

o

I brought it to the dealer, he got it started in 5 pulls. It was flooded. DOH! The manual says not to squeeze the throttle while starting, but the dealer locked the throttle. I will be locking the throttle in the future. I am glad it is running, but I hope this is not one of those hard to start engines. Thanks for all the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here