Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chain Saw Sharpening

Posted by mking AR (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 12:43

Can someone help me? I bought my husband a sharpener so he could sharpen his chain from his chain saw. He's been unable to use it because he needs to know what 'angle' his chain saw is (or something like that). He's driving me crazy because he keeps talking about how he needs to cut some wood, since it's turning cooler. Yet he can't figure out how to use this sharpener and neither one of us really know much about any type of tool. Any suggestions on how to find out the info he needs? The info should be in the owner's manual, but it was discarded (oops) because it was dirty. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chain Saw Sharpening

The angle is usuall 30 or 35 deg (looking down on the chain, relative to the bar). All sawchain I have sharpened want the file to be level, not tilted nose up or nose down. However, there is sawchain out there that wants the file to be tipped from horizontal. The sawchain will also determine the size of roundfile to use (assuming that is round ground and not square ground). Most consumers will use round ground sawchain.

In the end, it is the sawchain that determines how you will need to sharpen. If you can identify your sawchain, you can look up manufacturers recommendation on how to sharpen.

If you are unsure, now may be the time to get a new sawchain. It should come with a little pamphlet or instructions about how to care for the sawchain.

o

30 degrees is a good general rule of thumb, all the saws I've work with run a chain with a 30 degree cutter. Never heard of 35, 22 is common though.

o

Along with sharpen the teeth you will also want to clean out the oil feeder holes and bar slot that the chain rides in so the chain will get proper oiling. without oil it won't take long for it to get dull again and wear on the bar. Another problem is chain tension. Chain will loosen up quickly if ran dull or hot (from lack of oil or dull). Keeping the chain tight (as recommended my the saws manual) will keep the bar is good shape and reduce the chance of the chain jumping off the bar.

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 23:22

Both Oregon and Husqvarna show good sharpening technique.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharpening video

o

What kind of chain saw is it and what model?

Many manuals are available free on the saw company's web site and if not, someone here probably has one and can provide the information.

o

Thank you to everyone who replied. I just read these and my husband is already in bed, but I'll let him know to see if any of this helps. Just in case someone out there does happen to have a manual. This is the info I have: It's a Poulan and the model number is UT10947, but when I type that model number into the Poulan website it brings up 'no results' so I may need to double check that model number (my son wrote it down for me). But if that just happens to be the right number and someone has a manual and can let us know for certain what the angle is, I'd appreciate it.

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 9:58

That sounds like a Homelite model number.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here