Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spinnervin

Monster Maul still being made.

spinnervin
17 years ago

I have looked long and hard to find the Monster Maul. Two companies make them in the 15 Lb. size. Here are the sites.

http://www.baileys-online.com Item is called Mega Maul 14.5 Lbs.

http://www.logsplitters-ironoak.com/itemdetailpage.php?itemid=10328&offset=0amp;mode=category&categoryid=116&parentid=109&searchtext=

This comany includes S&H in the price. Most postings I have seen here, the cost of shipping a heavy item like this was costly.

Comments (14)

• dave_mn
    17 years ago

Log Blaster maul avalable at Northern Tool.
    12 lbs
    $27.00

• spinnervin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Dave that one by Northern Tool I have seen on a lot of postings here. The other two I have found I have not seen here and a lot of people liked the heavy Monster Maul made a while back. These seem to be the closest to it. Have you ever used of know anyone who has used this splitter.

Vin

http://www.wikco.com/LSM78.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikco Super Spear Splitter

• tkendr01
    17 years ago

I have had a Monster Maul (by Sotz) for about 15+ years, but have not used it lately after I installed gas logs. With very straight-grained wood, such as red oak, it really works quite well.
    However, it's almost impossible to hang it up - it just rebounds. For wood with gnarly grain or where a branch or fork occurred in the tree, either saw-cut it or used multiple wedges or wood grenades. They DO get stuck, but will gradually pry apart the wood.
    I found a knockoff of the MM one time for $5, so I have two mauls in that style.

• surveyor40
    17 years ago

i just bought one at tractor supply i think it cost 39.00
    it weighs about 16#s

• herb_wi
    17 years ago

I have an original Sotz Monster Maul and newer knock-off copy. The copy has a shorter handle than the original MM and I don't like it as well. I believe the heads are the same weight.

Years ago Sotz offered a "Lady's" MM that was lighter. Wish I could find one of those....

• andyma_gw
    16 years ago

The one I used had a steel handle. It worked well, but I didnt like the shock it gave my wrists.

• rickcolombe_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I had an original Sotz Monster Maul back in 1981. I have split well over 100 logger's cord with it, and having nothing but praise for the tool. So here I am 30 yrs later and can not find my maul. Sotz is out of business? L&M Supply carries a similiar product, yet it just does not have that same old feel as the original. Oh well... Perhaps it's just the 30 year age span that has brought the different "feel". Sure wish I could find another one.

• HU-374704781
    3 years ago

We had one on the farm in North Dakota in 1978. I still have it today and use it almost every weekend. The original Sotz Monster Maul is simply the best wood splitter you will ever swing!

• HU-568078345
    3 years ago

Split around 4 cords of wood with the monster mail fall winter of 79-80. You could split large knotty logs as easy as cutting a pie. I would do it again at 62 .

• HU-623392318
    3 years ago

i used the sotz maul i got at yard sale for 30 years mine weighs 22lbs i guess thats the biggest they made i know its a bear to swing but you cant beat it

• HU-317875090
    3 years ago

I have an original sotz monster maul that I purchased approx 1978. used every year and broke the head off. Will have to get it welded back on. It is 12 lbs

• HU-910754016
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hey guys! Look what i have! Yes this is an original Sotz head. I havent weighed it yet, but i think its the smaller one.

• HU-910754016
    last year

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks