Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
risnowthrower

Buying a new Snow Thrower. Confusion.

RISnowThrower
12 years ago

I am about to pull the trigger on a new snow blower. As there are so many available, it has become a little difficult determining the best one to buy. My budget is approx. $1,300. Consumer Reports ranks the Troy Bilt Storm 3090 XP as their top pick (listed at approx $1,100). Husqvarna (who subsequently didn't crack the Cunsumer Reports top five) has two that interest me. The 1830HV at $1,250 and the 14527E at $1,500. I here positive things about Ariens too. It seems that there isn't a front runner. My application is a flat, asphalt driveway. 170 feet long by 15 feet wide with a 24x30 parking area. I would appreciate any feedback and advice from experienced snow thrower owners. Thank You

Comments (11)

• baymee
    12 years ago

Though you didn't list it, and it will be more expensive, I've never had a single problem with a Yamaha. They can throw snow amazing distances.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    12 years ago

For the size area you're talking about all three machines should do fine. I used to live in RI (Warwick Neck) back in the 70's and there wasn't a huge amount of small engine repair shops then. The question is what is available for Service and Parts LOCALLY? I used to hate driving up to Boston for stuff.

Good luck,

Ev

• ericwi
    12 years ago

We have an Ariens 624 that would do your driveway in about two hours. But then, it only cost 800 dollars back in 2007. So I would guess that you want a larger snowblower for your application. The Ariens is easy to start, and very reliable, up to this point.

• jocl
    12 years ago

With that length driveway consider getting one with a wide scoop - at least 30" - wider if they make them. Also, another desireable feature is a discharge chute that also can be rotated down and away from the vertical position. With this added feature you can direct the snow better, and precludes for the most part, getting a face full of snow when blowing during windy conditions.

• stinkytiger
    12 years ago

Hi,

I have a 300 feet drive way which is about 12 feet wide and about the same amount of car park space as you. For anything up to maybe 2-3 inches of light fluffy snow it will take me 20 to 30 mins to blow. My driveway is sloped I have a Honda HS1132-TAS tracked snow blower.

If the snow is heavy, like 8 inches to 12 inches then the time it takes can ramp up to 60 to 90 mins depending on the type of snow.

I like my Honda very much, the downside is though it is sort of expensive. I am now on my third season with it and it has been reliable.

I think for the amount of drive way you have, a 30-inch size blower is about right. I would not go for anythong smaller. If you have a truck, you may even consider a blade or something like that if you have the storage space.

Best, Mike.

• blakk
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the actual Horsepower rating is for this model snow blower? 2011 Troy-Bilt 277cc 28 inch Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower Model 31AH64Q4711
    The manufacturer and retailer won't say! I've searched everywhere online and I just can't seem to find an answer?
    Any help out there?
    Thanks!

• blakk
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the actual Horsepower rating is for this model snow blower? 2011 Troy-Bilt 277cc 28 inch Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower Model 31AH64Q4711
    The manufacturer and retailer won't say! I've searched everywhere online and I just can't seem to find an answer?
    Any help out there?
    Thanks!

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

A few more things to consider:

Make sure the handles are the right height so as not to cause fatigue. I had one the handles were too low and wound up giving it to my daughter.

Make sure the handle controls are not too stiff = hand fatigue. Can the tension be adjusted?

An added benefit is if the blower does not leave a pile of snow in front of the blower when stopped. My current Craftsman does whereas my old 1970's vintage Yardman did not.

• PRO
    Flex Design LLC
    12 years ago

My neigbor has a Husky and dislikes it! I tried it and dislike it. I have an Ariens and love it! he also owned an Ariens and loved it! Ariens DELUXE 28 or 30. You will never regret it! Sale on the 28 incher under 1k!!

• ewalk
    12 years ago

If you wish a Blower that most likely will last almost a life time an Ariens or Yamaha are the Manf. to investigate seriously . I would have included Honda until a few yrs ago .

• Nishad Hasan
    8 years ago

yeah surely you can buy one. there are so many iteams on your budget. you can choose one.. here is also a great way to decide that. this is Snow Blower Report . You can get the best from here.