Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilydude

ID parts of old floor jack

lilydude
15 years ago

This is a view of my old Strongarm floor jack. Does anyone know what the two threaded covers are? I removed cover #2, and there was a threaded screw under it, maybe an adjustment screw, but I'm not sure. I would like to replace the hydraulic fluid in this unit. Any info would be appreciated.

{{gwi:320650}}

Comments (10)

• canguy
    15 years ago

#2 will be the relief valve adjustment, leave it alone unless you are having problems with it.Normally, you should not need to change the oil unless it is contaminated.

• lilydude
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I read on another thread that you should change the hydraulic fluid every couple of years. Any opinions on that? In any case, can someone tell me what cover #1 is for?

• Greg Goyeneche
    15 years ago

I'm not specifcally familiar with Strongarm, other than it was an inexpensive imported jack. Parts may be difficult if not impossible to obtain.

That said, both threaded plugs are probably relief valves. One is set to crack when the main ram attempts to lift more than the capacity of the jack. The second cracks and bypasses presure if you continue pumping after the jack is fully raised. This is to prevent blowing out seals. Can't say this is how Strongarm did it, but this is how Hein-Werner, Walker, and Weaver used to design their floor jacks.

As for changing the fluid, no real reason, and not recommended by manufacturers, unless you have reason to believe fluid is contaminated Jack oil is different than brake fluid and isn't contaminated the same way brakes are with moisture.

If you still want to change the fluid, find the filler plug (usually on top of the main ram) and remove, invert the jack and drain, and then refill with jack oil. Do not use brake fluid. Brake fluid will destroy the seals.

• lilydude
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, ggoyeneche. That solves the puzzle.

Are you sure it was an inexpensive import? The jack is about 40 years old. It's rated at 1.5 tons, but it looks like it could lift a dump truck. And it's still working.

• gator_rider2
    15 years ago

canadian

Here is a link that might be useful: jack company

• Greg Goyeneche
    15 years ago

Google "Strongarm" and you'll see. There used to be five quality US manufacturers, the three I mentioned, plus Blackhawk and Milwaukee. Only Milwaukee still builds in the US. Everything else was offshore, first from Japan, then Taiwan and Denmark, then China.

• tweld
    15 years ago

I Have a Napa Fleet Floor Jack Mod.# 91-632
    Ser.#6 632 J0633 1 1/2 tons Made By DE Koven MFG. Co. Racine Wis. Some one that works for me took the pumper all apart and has lost some of the parts I would like a parts break down or a diagram
    at the present time all it does is when you pump it it just pullsates up and down with the handle action it seams that it is not keeping the presure in I do not know what is wrong I am just asumeing that they lost some parts or it may be that all the parts are there but that one of them is worn out I need some thing to go by

• dewaynep
    15 years ago

That looks a lot like my very old Hein-Warner, an American made great jack that parts are still available for. If it is not leaking and will still raise up all the way there's nothing for you to worry about. Use and enjoy it, they're great jacks.

• tomstour_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

can you tell me the number or size of the seal that is around the pump piston on sears model 214.124500 11/2 ton, or is their a manual somewhere? I hate to throw the jack away because of a seal, the jack was never used.

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Way back, when my 55 year old son was messing with hot-rods, we bought him and me 2 floor jacks from Sears. He was about 14. Both jacks are still working. They sit in cold garages all year around, have never failed to work, and never get cleaned off.
    Those junk jacks from China, etc, are not worth the powder to blow them up!