Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Vertical manual log splitter attached info

loger_gw
9 years ago

Has anyone tried the vertical manual log splitter attached? If so, do you have any comments related to this being a worthwhile product or project? Also compare it to the horizontal manual splitter (linked to) if you have a Reference or experience.

My goal is to help a friend to reduce some maul work and Poulan Saw work if this could be worthwhile. A plus would be, we have a surplus of floor and bottle jacks and steel for the project if itâÂÂs worth the time. My 2 yr older friendâÂÂs body is not in as much shock as mine from 30+ years use of a maul, sledge and wedge.

M y personal past experience with a spliter set-up like a bearing press was âÂÂBADâÂÂ. I was bending good 6â heavy Channel Steel âÂÂNot To Mention SlooooowâÂÂ. Looking back I feel the 24â width span was the weakness. With support only on one side of this style, I see a problem working on 12â dia wood. My new limit is 12â Dia Max 95% of the time on my 9-12 ton hydraulic splitter.

Thanks For Personal Opinion/Observations! I can take your honesty over wasted work. LOL!

Ver SplitterâÂÂs link/specs:

: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442241_200442241

Product Summary:

This 8-ton log splitter's convenient, lightweight design gives you easy portability and is perfect for getting your firewood supply ready for winter. The splitting wedge adjusts to 5 different heights and splits logs up to 23in.L x 14in. dia.

Hor SplitterâÂÂs link/specs:

: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631752_200631752

Features + Benefits:
1. Quickly split logs 13 1/2in. to 18in.L with 6 1/2 dia.
2. 2-speed pump builds up to 10 tons of log-splitting pressure
3. 2 wheels for easy maneuverability
4. Log cradle keeps split wood from falling to the ground
5. 5in. wedge height
6. 7/8in. ram travel

Comments (3)

• cedgo
    9 years ago

Have the above model. We use it at a lake lot in the summer. Have plenty of "hands" for the WORK. Does a decent job for what it is. Even splits elm.
    Been heating the house with wood for the last 25 years, This thing would be a joke for any kind of quantity.

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks cedgo! I agree these things are Jokes or little quality for a real job. What do you get for 100.00 toward a quality splitter? May be âÂÂsomeâ quality steel at a salvage yard toward building a splitter.

I thought about this was a wasted survey after thinking back 30 yrs when we tried our hydraulic version (like a bearing press) and bent quality steel with very slow or no results on hardwood. We also tried the large screw that I saw used on the rear axle of a standard shift truck that worked good.

Our version was to use a 5HP B&S Eng and a reduction gear box. Possibly on hardwood we w/h had better results. We had a variety of Elm that our 6â dia screw would sink into w/o splitting and no reverse to back it out. LOL!! That ended the 30 yr old lessons and almost 30 yrs of log splitting with a Maul, Sledge & Wedge.

A friend felt his hydraulic splitter project and time had stalled and gave me his start that has turned into a dream except for a close grade ram/rod guide on the square vs I-Beam rail or Etc (with an adjustable wedge/stop. This is why my goal was to help a friend to find a grade to reduce his Manual Work vs loaning my splitter (w/o me being present to monitor the use.

I have given up except offering 2-3 hr splitting here. Plus, suggested he run an add on Craigslist to trade one of his Three âÂÂExtra Ridding Mowerâ (not used) for a Decent Log Splitter. No response yet, except a prior, âÂÂyou Are Off The HookâÂÂ, as he cut and manually split.

Attached is a pic of my splitter at this stage as I try to reduce my RodâÂÂs guide to 1/16â play with shims. IâÂÂll try to add a URL link of the original splitter before I started up-grading it or add a 2nd post with an attachment. Finding the URL is always a challenge in the free ver of Photobucket IâÂÂll have to save a List. LOL!!!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Log Splitter before The Upgrades and recent ram/rod guide. The concern is not pushing at angles vs straight. I feel pushing at angles with over 12â of rod has cost me two identical rebuild bad cylinders bills in 12 months. Due to splitting 24â dia wood, without respecting pushing straight (to separating challenging stringy wood as Pecan. or Oak that had limbs in the blocks). There were no seal, leaks, noticeable wear issues until we went above 12â dia wood which and more rod extended. Even with the better guide âÂÂI Hopeâ 12â dia is my new limit unless there are end-to-end seasoned cracks that most large aged Oak or large wood have.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax