Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying a lawn sweeper and need advice

Posted by golfer_2008 7/8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 14:17

Any advice or recomendations for a good quality 48 or 50 inch tow behind lawn sweeper to collect grass clippings and fall leaves will be greatly appreciated. The area to be swept is about 2 acres.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying a lawn sweeper and need advice

I have mine which is Ohio Steel Lawn Sweeper. It has 50 inch W. sweeping path.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 12:39

Two acres???? AND leaves??? Won't work unless you really like driving back and forth to the dumping area!!! Remember, most of them you have to change the depth setting to travel to dump, then when you return reset.

I have a 50" which is only used in the thickest areas, it's full in about 40 feet. Wouldn't even consider it for leaves.

Consider a mulching deck with rear bagger. At the very least, get mulching blades for your existing mower, that'll help a lot.

Good luck,

Ev

o

Well, IMO bets raking. The lawn sweepers work great for me 1 1/3 ac. lots of leaves from Blackjack oaks all around. Mine only 42" but I still manage to bump trees and rub chain link fence. Yes lots of trips to the dump pile for burning, but lots more trips raking (unless you use big tarp system). Don't really work good in corners where leave pile up feet deep. For that a big tarp, rope, and big rake will be faster.

o

Sweepers vary hugely in quality. Parker is a good name to know. For the most part,a good quality 4 brush per side sweeper is the way to go.

o

I have had excellent results with lawn sweepers. Gumballs, pine cones, pine straw, and leaves. Can require frequent dumping but beats raking by a mile. Take tomplum's advice and get the highest quality sweeper you can afford. The lower end sweepers do not work nearly as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here