Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Qualituy of 2 cycle oil

Posted by bill7 NW MN (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 1, 09 at 14:32

Tried the search function, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I ran out of Stihl's 2 cycle oil mix. I need some today. Just wondering about Wally World's Super Tech. Is all 2 cycle oil the same?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Qualituy of 2 cycle oil

I would use the Supertech as long as it was the right application and I would mix a bit rich.

o

The full synthetic like Amsoil, Mobil 2T and Stihl Ultra ( white bottle) are supposed to be better. They burn cleaner and leave less deposits.

Don't think you can get concensus on which one is the best. Some even swear by WalMart oil!!!! Unless you burn so much mix everyweek that price make a difference, I would stay with the full synthetic. I use Amsoil myself just because I like the color and the smell ( say least offensive!!!).

o

What about the "multi purpose" Super Tech 2 cycle?

o

Make sure you stay with air cool oil, not marine water cool ones. As long as for air cool, you can't go too wrong.

o

Issue is not synthetic vs. dino, but rather how the oil is formulated.

Wal-Mart Supertech is TCW-3 which is for watercooled engines. Toro also specified it for their Suzuki 2 strokes in the Proline mowers. Generally it's OK for engines spinning less than 6000 or 7000 rpm.

I used to use it in my Suzukis and also use it in some cheaper Homelite and Poulan weedeaters and chain saws. However, for an engine which is higher revving, like my Olympic weedeater and my Stihl chainsaw, I use a synthetic rated for aircooled applications.

o

On closer inspection, the label states for air cooled equipment like weed eaters, chainsaws, etc.

So it should be OK.

Thanks for the input.

o

I have been using Super Tech TCW3 (water cooled) in my $18,000.00 Mercury 225 Optimax enngines on my charter boats for 10 years now with no problems. It's very good oil. The main thing is to select an oil designed for air cooled engines so I think you are indeed in good shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here