Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdhad

Troybilt HorseTiller transmission problem

jdhad
14 years ago

I need help with a used troybilt tiller I just purchased. The serial # 842781 I don't have a manual and MTD was not able to help with what year or model I have. It has an eight horsepower engine. The problem I am having is with the speed part of the transmission. There is a lever that allows you to shift from high speed to low speed but I can't get it to move. I was told to rock it back and forth while shifting but that does not help. I tapped the gear lever down at the transmission but that did not help either.With it locked in high gear(i assume)it is hard to tile heavy soil and impossible to move without the engine running.(can't get it in neutral)Any suggestions on year made and or transmission.

Comments (8)

• troybilt__dave
    14 years ago

You need to join the troybilt tiller club at yahoo groups.com They have all the answers to your tiller problems and you can download the manuals for free. Dave

• baymee
    14 years ago

I know the linkage can bind up on those, but I suspect some lack of lubrication on the internal shaft.

• gator_rider2
    14 years ago

The pivot on 2 speed lever is frooze up at pivot take a 3/4 wrench loosen nut see move if not take nut off clean parts make shour you get parts back right its friction disc this hold in place. 3/4 wrench will adjust ease of shifting if to easy it come out gear while operating. I have 2 troy bilt horses I had work over both of low and high speed lever pivots. One fall out high speed other one as yours lever would not move handle almost brake off if tryed change speeds.

• jdhad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave for the web directions. There is a ton of info. there(i joined today) also thanks to "baymee and "gator rider" you were right on your diagnosis! It was the linkage frozen at the friction disc. Rust! I removed the rust, lubricated the total linkage and reasembled everything and it works great

• jdhad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Disappointed, I am. I took Dave's advice and went to the Troybilt Tiller site and submitted an application to join. This morning I received an email letting me know that I had been denied membership. I'm not sure what I did wrong unless it was the bottom of the app. that ask me what information I wanted to receive(advertisement,notices)It was the standard app. with why do you want to join. My reason, I purchased a used Troybilt and was advised to join. Any ideas as to what I did wrong and how to correct whatever I did wrong?

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

Strange, since I also took the advice given in this thread and submitted an app on Wednesday. Yesterday, I received approval as follows:

Hello,
    Welcome to the troybilttillerclub group at Yahoo! Groups, a
    free, easy-to-use email group service. Please take a moment to review this message.

To learn more about the troybilttillerclub group, please visit xxxxxxxxx

To start sending messages to members of this group, simply send email to xxxxxxxxx

If you do not wish to belong to troybilttillerclub, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to xxxxxxxxxx

To see and modify all of your groups, go to xxxxxxxxxxx

Regards, Moderator, troybilttillerclub

Don't know if it made any difference, but I am and have been a member of other Yahoo Groups as well. Must be a simple glitch in the system . . . Yahoo has strict anti-spam software which automatically bounces suspect emails.

• gator_rider2
    14 years ago

I'm just guessing you have 2 different names here jdhad SC and jdhad 29536. But keep trying its not perfic system over there. I belong to 8 groups over there one hard ones to get in for me cub cadet.

• jdhad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The two different names come from posting a follow-up. One is my zip code. I thought zone was my zip code but now know better and the SC is South Carolina. I am new at forums and could have put the wrong message in the Troybilt app.I don't want to offend the Troybilt Club by reapplying if it is a club for more experienced Troybilt owners. Until now I have used a shovel for tilling a small garden but this year bought a used Troybilt Horse. Of course there were no manuals or directions. I did go to the troybilt web site and printed the directions that were the closest to the horse I have. I'm learning tons of stuff from the Garden Web Forums and I can read the Troybilt Club threads. Life is good!